Default Can Diana’s rogue gallery be may interesting

Many say Diana m’s rogue is washed up and needs to be put out and being new ones in. However, doesn trhy men’s theywbill fall into the same trap?

Astonishing Member

They already are interesting. But, they can't write themselves.

Consistent use and focus would help as well.

One thing I wonder is how would you make them stand out more for some of them. For example, blue snowman has an ice suit what should be the way her ice snow and how ice tech works ? Or if Cyber were to come back with her body and suit how would it be different than iron man or anyone with a armored suit

I'm in agreement with Awonder.

She's has many adversaries with solid concepts, but it's going to take some creativity and care to revamp them.

I don't care as much about how unique their powers are or are portrayed, but how original their character's attitudes and admonishment are to Diana and the Amazons.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think, just looking at the Golden Age, they have enough craziness going on to be more immediately interesting as concepts than the majority of other rogues galleries. Marston was like an early version of writers like Morrison and Way, firing off more crazy and colorful ideas in a page than most writers do in an entire run. Diana being a woman and the industry being what it was in those days really crippled her, because what the franchise needed was someone who could carry on Marston's concepts and bring them to the next level. Instead we got Kanigher, and she's been paying for it ever since.

So yes they are, at least conceptually, already very interesting, but the writing talent we get on the book the majority of the time either can't live up to it or does its own thing with varying results.

Do you think the fact that her villains are predominantly female could be the reason why her rogues gallery is often considered "weaker" by other comic fans?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Do you think the fact that her villains are predominantly female could be the reason why her rogues gallery is often considered "weaker" by other comic fans?
    I think it totally has something to do with it.

The fact that a lot of them aren't perceived as hot probably has something to do with it too. Catwoman, Ivy and Harley are FANTASTIC characters I love all three of them, but their hotness has a big part to play in how popular they are. That and their connection to Batman. And even then, the three of them are not allowed to be as menacing as the male villains.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think it totally has something to do with it.

The fact that a lot of them aren't perceived as hot probably has something to do with it too. Catwoman, Ivy and Harley are FANTASTIC characters I love all three of them, but their hotness has a big part to play in how popular they are. That and their connection to Batman. And even then, the three of them are not allowed to be as menacing as the male villains.
    I don't know. Sure, Ivy hasn't been that bad recently, but she has quite the brutal history, infamously known as a an Eco-terrorist for a reason.
    Harley was caught up in the Joker's net for a long time, and now, even in Suicide Squad, she's becoming more anti-hero then anything.
    And Catwoman, well, other than a couple of iterations, she's never been as "bad" as the other Gotham villains (barring say, Kite-Man). Heck, she's teamed up with the Bat Family as often as she's opposed them.

I'll admit, I'm not as familiar with Diana's rogues as others on here. But look at what makes an arch-nemesis to the other big characters.
    Joker- Not only does he hang out in Gotham, but he is unpredictable, and has caused Batman a lot of personal pain. Like killing Jason Todd, crippling Barbara Gordon, and a lot more.
    Lex Luthor- His jealousy of Superman is legendary, and he never stops planning (well, until his recent incarnation as an arrogant, but real hero) against the Last Son of Krypton. He uses his fame, wealth, and ability to manipulate people to get what he wants.
    Eobard Thawne- Yes, there's been other Reverse Flashes, but Thawne sticks out because for him, there is no such thing as "too far" for him when it comes to hurting Barry. He can't kill Barry, but short of that? Yeah.

Has any of Diana's rogues struck a personal blow against her, beyond a 1 shot character? Especially that had a lasting impact?

I wonder one thing with Silver Swan is they never put all of the other swan's abilities together. Maybe add a bit more like maybe sonic pitch or something else.

Amazing Member

I've been thinking about this thread awhile, a recent reading of the Batman Who Laughs provided enough prodding for me to post.

Reading page after page of Batman conquering Earth -22, was exhausting. A Batman/Joker hybrid destroys his earth between jokes, how? He has plans, BatPlans™ ! And in the eyes of the readers, it makes sense.

Because both Batman and the Joker have some sort of nebulous depth associated with their characters. Or rather the characters have creative fans who fill in the blanks. Whereas a character like the one found on the Hypertime spread in this issue, a Cheetah/Wonder Woman, is seen as a less credible threat. The Batman Who Laughs is an upgrade, the Wonder Woman Who Rends is just a costume change.

But why? "...No matter what they threw at me-- armies of villains , alien tyrants, the wrath of god-- they were all just problems to solve". According to DC, the only thing Bruce needs to conquer the universe is the will to do so.

I don't see why the same reasoning cannot be applied to Diana and her villains. She is surrounded by masterminds and deities, sometimes a mixture of both. What makes Giganta any less viable than say Bane? And why is Cheetah, a gifted archaeologist with the powers of a god, incapable of making a plan of her own, while a mobster runs circles around the universe?

If the only explanation for the BWL's victory is "because I said so", then I don't see the need to upgrade or replace Wonder Woman's villains. Maybe they could tweak their designs a bit, but otherwise Diana is sitting on a goldmine of villains. It's why I get annoyed that writers keep borrowing her rogues. Sure I'm happy that Steve Orlando wants to use the Queen of Fables* and possibly the Adjudicator, but it would be nice if more Wonder Woman writers had access to villains from her gallery too.

*Yes, I know that Queen of Fables first appeared in Justice League. But said story and her appearances in Wonder Woman established a deep enmity between Diana and Tsaritsa.
    Last edited by azurescarf; 11-15-2017 at 03:07 PM.