Default Millerverse Bat-characters in current canon?

I'm curious to learn whether any of the original Bat-characters created by Frank Miller in his seminal THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS book have ever made it to canon (Post-COIE, New52, Rebirth) by being adapted from Earth-31.

And if not, would you, as a Batfan, want them back adapted for the current canon? And if so, how?

In particular:

1. Carrie Kelley (Robin)

2. Ellen Yindel (Police Captain then Commissioner)

3. Dr. Bartholomew Wolper (anti-Batman psychiatrist)

4. Abner (Joker's husky bomb-making henchman)

5. Mutant Leader (PRE-COIE precursor to Bane?)

6. Bruno (Criminal, gun-toting, topless with swastika-pasties, tall, muscular buzz-cut henchwoman)

Would/could any of these memorable characters make their way to Main Earth and how should they be adapted to fit in?

I remember Carrie was Damian's Drama teacher and later Titus' Dog walker in Tomasi's Batman and Robin. Won't mind Carrie or Bruno in canon.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I always thought of Mutant Leader as Miller's version of Croc and he might not have been able to do that stuff with Croc back then, maybe? Abner probably replaced Toyman? If we never see Bruno again I won't shed a tear.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

DC has already done a lot to outright introduce some of these or suggest they will exist. Carrie and Mutant Leader I'm thinking of.

Tomasi used Carrie (and I didn't care for it and don't acknowledge it). And Grant Morrison used the Mutants in his run (see Batman #700 and etc) and thereby suggested one of them was young Mutant Leader or that he'd eventually show up as part of them down the road as they rose to power in Gotham. I loved how Grant used The Mutants.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-08-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I'm curious to learn whether any of the original Bat-characters created by Frank Miller in his seminal THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS book have ever made it to canon (Post-COIE, New52, Rebirth) by being adapted from Earth-31.

And if not, would you, as a Batfan, want them back adapted for the current canon? And if so, how?

In particular:

1. Carrie Kelley (Robin)

2. Ellen Yindel (Police Captain then Commissioner)

3. Dr. Bartholomew Wolper (anti-Batman psychiatrist)

4. Abner (Joker's husky bomb-making henchman)

5. Mutant Leader (PRE-COIE precursor to Bane?)

6. Bruno (Criminal, gun-toting, topless with swastika-pasties, tall, muscular buzz-cut henchwoman)

Would/could any of these memorable characters make their way to Main Earth and how should they be adapted to fit in?
    Bruno wasn't the nazi travesti?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Ellen Yindel was adapted for TV as "Ellen Yin" in the Batman cartoon; would be cool to see her character appear in comics. Both of them were intolerable but at least she was badass

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Ellen Yindel was adapted for TV as "Ellen Yin" in the Batman cartoon; would be cool to see her character appear in comics. Both of them were intolerable but at least she was badass

Wait, this

was supposed to be that

?

Really? I mean besides the similarities in name?

Yeah, I was thinking a MUCH more direct translation updated for modern times (as opposed to a "James Olsen on SUPERGIRL" deal).

If that direct translation hasn't happened yet in the main comics, then Ellen's the DKR character that can almost be transported there pretty much whole.

Dr. Wolper would need some adjustment, but we could use a pop psychiatrist who blames Batman without becoming a monster himself (basically NOT Hugo Strange).

Abner is trickier, might have to slim him down to avoid accusations of fat-shaming.

Not sure Bruce needs yet another Robin, sorry Kelly.

The Mutant Leader feels like he could be transposed on to either Bane or Killer Croc to improve either one. As is, he is no threat to the BatGod who has become vastly more formidable than he was in 1986.

Bruno is just .... yeesh, just completely politically incorrect. Not worth the effort.

Have the cult-like Sons of Batman ever shown up in the main canon?

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    The Mutant Leader feels like he could be transposed on to either Bane or Killer Croc to improve either one. As is, he is no threat to the BatGod who has become vastly more formidable than he was in 1986.
    Nah, I'm for Mutant Leader always being his own thing (character), in Batman's future (not comic present). IIRC it was implied he was young (20s or 30s) in DKR, so he'd have to be younger in Bruce's younger years if any writer dared to show his childhood/teens. As far as "Batgod," Batman hasn't changed as much as some think IMHO. Old Bruce both lost and later defeated a very formidable Mutant Leader. DKR probably was the start of the comic trend of highlighting Batman's physical prowess and skills.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-09-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

Bartholomew Wolper was in the Widening Gyre. I always thought Humpty Dumpty was somehow supposed to be the big guy from DKR but now I don't know, heh.

I can see Carrie being some type of supporting character to Batman in the future and maybe a connection to Batman Beyond, like she introduces Terry to Bruce.

Mutant Leader could be Killer Croc's son lol.

Yindel could easily be the foil to Gordon as Commissioner, when she replaces him at some time, as someone in Gotham who doesn't like vigilantes and has zero tolerance for them and criminals. Also a good foil for Batman, What if Miller's Batman had power over the police and used them and tax payer's money (instead of Wayne's family money) to go to war with Gotham's most dangerous criminals, a literal fascist cop who shows sometimes Batman's methods can't be used by the police/normal people.

Bruno, a muscular nazi woman, can be a threat especially to the Bat Family: Batwoman (Jewish), Nightwing (Gypsy), Batman (suspected to have Jewish heritage). If not the nazi route then she can be a bodyguard/top henchman for any villain: Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Bane, Hugo Strange (Hannibal Lecter to her Margot Verger if anyone gets the reference), Killer Moth...etc

IMHO:

Ellen Yindel could be plugged into any main canon storyline right now and fit in perfectly. There should be an honest good foil to Jim Gordon who isn't a lout like Harvey Bullock is known to be.

Bruno is the opposite. Too problematic to be used. Can't go topless. Can't have swastikas. Definitely can't be topless with swastikas. Appears as an offensive stereotype of lesbians (even though I can't recall evidence of her being one way or another). Can't get an action figure of her. You'd have to change too much that you may as well create a new character altogether.

Mutant Leader seems irrelevant since Knightfall Bane was basically a much smarter and more badass version of him. Just give Bane filled teeth, a more savage fighting style, and an army of impressionable violent teenagers as followers, and boom, new Mutant Leader.