View Poll Results: How do you feel about Dick's time as Robin?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • His time as Robin is an embarrassment and I'd be glad to see it go away forever.

1 0.81%
  • Meh. I'm a fan of Nightwing. Don't hate his time as Robin, but wouldn't be sorry to see it go.

7 5.65%
  • Dick's time as Robin does matter, but I would still love the character without it.

6 4.84%
  • NO! Dick's time as Robin is SACROSANCT and must NEVER be removed or minimized!

110 88.71%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Keep Bendis AWAY from Dick Grayson. He's welcome to go screw up somewhere else.

Extraordinary Member

he is the robin legacy

its very important

Mighty Member

Isn't removing Dick's Robin history like removing Superman's legacy as the first superhero?

I'm pretty sure Spider-man won't be invented if Robin wasn't there to be an inspiration first; not to mention the countless number of sidekicks and supporting characters in comics.

Comics were originally for children. It's not something to be embarrassed about.

I'm not a huge fan of Dick Grayson but his tenure as robin leaves a big shadow on his prdecessors so taking it away feels wrong. Granted the new 52 tried to reduce it to being 6m to a year which felt pointless to even have it to me. At that point you might as well have him be Nightwing from the start.

So him as robin for 3-4 years is the right move for me.

Never read a story where Grayson was Robin. I just know he was Robin. It's a legend I never experienced. Tim Drake is Robin. I voted meh as it doesn't matter to me either way. I don't mind that he was the first Robin as it doesn't have to impact the current Robin stories.

If his being Robin enriches current stories then that's fine. If someone comes along and gets rid of his time as Robin but tells some great stories I'm fine with that as well. I'm not attached to old continuity much.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 11-09-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Never read a story where Grayson was Robin. I just know he was Robin. It's a legend I never experienced. Tim Drake is Robin. I voted meh as it doesn't matter to me either way. I don't mind that he was the first Robin as it doesn't have to impact the current Robin stories.
    I mean, most Dick stories as Robin aren't really that great, i find Jason, Tim and Damian more than him in that role. But he was the one that started it, so it has a symbolic importance, because inspired a lot of other tales, not mentioning that the graduation for sidekick to solo hero is still pretty powerfull, it has an effect on his characther, sayong that he doesn't is pretty silly.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Never read a story where Grayson was Robin. It's a legend I never experienced.
    I'd give Robin Year One by Dixon a read (and Batgirl Year One). For fans not into Golden/Silver/Bronze Age comics, there are some more modern (90s and forward) stories. Batman The Gauntlet is another. New Teem Titans had Dick as Robin in his last period before switching to Nightwing.

I think the coming Batgirl Bronze Age Omnibus should also have a some Robin/Batgirl team up stories.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-09-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Fantastic Member

Batman and Robin (Bruce and Dick) is arguably the most fundamental and most important relationship in the DCU. Also, at or very near the top of the ones best known to the mass of non-comic fans.

One of the most important things in Morrison's run was the flashbacks showing Dick as Robin and, though briefly, reestablishing the older stories with a modern voice.

Fantastic Member

Never read a story where Grayson was Robin.
    DC: New Frontier is very well worth a read, among other Elseworlds that revisit the early years of the DCU and therefore have Dick as Robin.

If his being Robin enriches current stories then that's fine. If someone comes along and gets rid of his time as Robin but tells some great stories I'm fine with that as well. I'm not attached to old continuity much.
    Well without him there isn't any such thing as Robin or 'not Robin' characters like The Signal who started his hero journey because of Dick. Tim Drake never gets to meet Batman never becomes Robin but for Dick.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No matter what other evolutions he takes, Robin is the foundation of the character and the most important identity he has ever or will ever have. The Robin identity and the very concept of the superhero sidekick is similarly nothing without him in the role. Even if he isn't the first sidekick in superhero/pulp fiction, he's definitely the one who made the trope definitive.

No matter what low points the character will suffer at any given time during the present, he always has being THE Robin.

Thinking about it some more DC has really butchered his time as Robin over the past few reboots; especially in the New 52/Rebirth continuity. It is kind of sad. It is still one of the few iconic identities in all of comics, but I do think it hurts the character the more they try to downplay its importance as time goes on. I would love for them to really spend some more time on that era again with more stories, but oh well.

I mean in the New 52 they didn't have him become Robin until he was 16 and that still seems to be in continuity as I haven't seen anything reference any different age. So he didn't become Robin until his mid teens, which ruins the "Boy Wonder" name and really shortens his time with Bruce. They got rid of his classic costume, which I understand, but they gave him a terrible looking one in the New 52 to replace it and now we are stuck with it every time they show him as Robin which irritates me so much. Also every one of Batman's villains have all been around for years and were established now before Dick was Robin, which wasn't always the case. Before Dick was created and around well before most of Batman's villains which to me always felt like a way to downplay Robin's importance in the Batman mythos.

It's extremely important. He wouldn't had became his own person if he had not been Robin first.

Dick's time as Robin matters to me a lot. Dick's time as Robin is important to Batman and comics as a medium. And to see it go would be awful.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

It's very important to his character. That should never change
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor