View Poll Results: How do you feel about Dick's time as Robin?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • His time as Robin is an embarrassment and I'd be glad to see it go away forever.

1 0.81%
  • Meh. I'm a fan of Nightwing. Don't hate his time as Robin, but wouldn't be sorry to see it go.

7 5.65%
  • Dick's time as Robin does matter, but I would still love the character without it.

6 4.84%
  • NO! Dick's time as Robin is SACROSANCT and must NEVER be removed or minimized!

110 88.71%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Dick as Robin is highly important to me. I don't want his time as Robin minimized like we saw with the new 52. I could go on why Dick/Robin is so important, but I think we all know the reasoning behind that.

When I hear the name Robin, bam! Dick Grayson is the one to come to mind. I don't believe anyone will ever outshine Dick in the role he had as Robin, nor his importance to the Bat legacy.

It is one of the few iconic identities in comics and he created and wore that identity for decades. It is extremely important not just to Dick but for comics in general. Nothing the character has done since he was Robin will measure up to it, imo.

That being said, why do people think Bendis is going to write the character? I can't see DC putting him on a mid level title, especially as they just put a new writer on the title too.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

It's of vital importance to me and to the Bat-verse as a whole. Dick was the FIRST Robin and minimizing his time as Robin in any way would be a big mistake IMHO. They've already made that mistake in the N52 with taking away Dick's history with the Teen Titans and they also downgraded his time as Robin when they decided to compress the timeline (4 Robins in 5 Years) so I'd be extremely unhappy if DC allowed Bendis to crap all over Dick's history again now that he's starting to get it back again. No thanks.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I don't really enjoy stories about his time as Robin. But it is SO essential for the character and who he becomes. It has to be part of any continuity.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It is one of the few iconic identities in comics and he created and wore that identity for decades. It is extremely important not just to Dick but for comics in general. Nothing the character has done since he was Robin will measure up to it, imo.

That being said, why do people think Bendis is going to write the character? I can't see DC putting him on a mid level title, especially as they just put a new writer on the title too.
    Not that i think they are gonna put him on Nightwing, but Nightwing has things coming up in other media. So they might want to put someone like Bendis on his title to try and bump it up from mid level. And for Bendis it could help break him in as he transition into DC.

It's exceptionally important to me. That's like asking if I think Thomas and Martha Wayne being Murdered is important to Bruce becoming Batman. YES. It's a fundamental part of the character, if Grayson was never Robin, We'd never get Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    It's very important. Utmost importance. I don't know what you have in mind, but it'd be a colossal mistake to wipe that out. I'm very much in the Morrison "what if all this happened in one man's life?" type of fan when it comes to continuity. Dick's time as Robin is integral to his story (as Bruce's foremost "son") and Bruce's. "Dick as Robin" stories and flashbacks are popular too. With the right team, DC could even exploit that period more.

Dick (as Robin, THE Robin) is a very important Golden Age comic character, and that should always be remembered and respected.
    Perfectly said.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

I was 5 years old when I first met Dick Grayson in 1959. I thought he'd be the best brother in the world. Now I'm 64 and I would be proud to have a great-grandson like Dick. He's always been part of my life.

Incredible Member

lmfao. Dick's tenure as Robin will never, ever, ever be erased.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I am, unsuprisingly, one of the three who currently think that Nightwing is much more important to Dick.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

I am not really a fan of Dick Grayson, but his tenure as Robin is one of the most important roles in superhero comic books. Period. It doesn't matter how important it is to ME personally, because it's invaluable to the heart and spirit of comic books as we know them.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Dick Grayson spent the first 44 years of his existence as Robin, but he has been Nightwing for the past 33 years. Undoubtedly, many readers of Nightwing's adventures today were not even born when Dick appeared as Robin in monthly comics.
    While Dick Grayson has been in publication for most of DC history, his popularity has gone up and down. He hasn't always had his own book. It may seem impossible, but DC has shelved many of their popular characters. Sometimes these characters come back, sometimes they remain in limbo. So I'm not prepared to say that any DC character needs to exist. Because clearly the publisher doesn't think so and they're the ones who decide these things. It's highly unlikely, but never say never.

It would not make any sense to him to become Nightwing without being a Robin first. So yeah, it's important.

While I prefer Dick as Nightwing his tenure as Robin is unparalleled and matters a great deal. Dick he defined Robin. he IS Robin. Sure he looked goofy but was a big part of shaping Robin and the Bat world as it is today. The 1st step in Bruce the single parent and the Bat family we all know and love today.
    His tenure is very important the most important since without him there would be no Robin. No Jason, Damian, Steph, Duke or what's his face. Possibly no Batgirl.

I was kind of surprised to see this question. Then i saw why this was asked. I hope DC reins in Bendis and not let him do anything he desires on a whim if he is going to write him. I voted with the majority. Its the only choice. He may not be the best Robin but he is the Robin. Its not right to change such a vital part of the character.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-09-2017 at 07:49 AM.