View Poll Results: How do you feel about Dick's time as Robin?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • His time as Robin is an embarrassment and I'd be glad to see it go away forever.

1 0.81%
  • Meh. I'm a fan of Nightwing. Don't hate his time as Robin, but wouldn't be sorry to see it go.

7 5.65%
  • Dick's time as Robin does matter, but I would still love the character without it.

6 4.84%
  • NO! Dick's time as Robin is SACROSANCT and must NEVER be removed or minimized!

110 88.71%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I went with the last option (even though it's all the way on the other side of the drama spectrum).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Removing his time as Robin from Dick Grayson's history is the rough equivalent of removing the murder of Bruce's parents, or the destruction of Krypton, from the stories of Batman and Superman respectively. It's a core part of Dick's story, and it still represents his secret identity for the majority of his time in comics (43 years, versus 34 now for Nightwing/Batman/Agent 37 combined).

That's not saying it can't be done, since the Earth 2 Dick Grayson (New 52) never had a time as Robin; Krypton isn't destroyed in some imaginary stories/Elseworlds tales where Kal-El becomes Superman; and at least one alternate world version Bruce Wayne ("To Kill a Legend", from Detective Comics #500) seemed on track to becoming the Bat without losing his parents. It just makes for very different versions of the characters, and ones that don't really fit in with the main DCU (pre-Crisis, post-Crisis, pre-Flashpoint, New 52, Rebirth—any main continuity version).
    Last edited by Spiderboy12; 11-10-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

The original and still best Robin in my opinion. They should never remove that aspect of his character.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Fantastic Member

Honestly, Dick is the only True Robin to me, just as Bruce is the only true Batman. I feel like his tenure might not be appreciated by younger fans because there isn't an uber popular, uber definitive comic that shows him in his prime as the Boy Wonder.

BANNED

Maybe the right idea would be the junk the other Robins, de-age Dick to 8, and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I mean, most Dick stories as Robin aren't really that great, i find Jason, Tim and Damian more than him in that role. But he was the one that started it, so it has a symbolic importance, because inspired a lot of other tales, not mentioning that the graduation for sidekick to solo hero is still pretty powerfull, it has an effect on his characther, sayong that he doesn't is pretty silly.
    This is pretty much how I feel as well, outside of a few stories such as Scarecrow Year one or Robin Year one, theres not actually many Dick Robin Stories I enjoy, or rather none from his actual history and not created retroactively though that should never denote his legacy and how important the role is for him. DCs attempts in recent years through reboots to reduce his time and the significance behind his role has been irritating to say the least. I would honestly LOVE to see more stories like the ones I have mentioned, not just for Dick but for Jason and Tim as well. (Hell if I had my way I would have some for Steph too)

I know BARE was 'technically' attempting the retroactive story for Dick Robin, but unfortunately that felt bogged down for me due to the fact that the 'stories' in question were just being used to hold off a mystery to a completely different story, rather than being an interesting narrative in and of themselves, and two because whoever was writing Dick wrote him so goddamn BLAND and boring that role could have gone to any character/robin and it wouldnt have made a difference.

BANNED

It's an important part he played as Robin and it's something that should always be maintained.

But that said, he is not 'my' Robin, becuase I started reading comics so late that he had been Nightwing for over a decade and a half, so thats the identity I say is Dick Grayson's. Robin to me is still Tim Drake.

Incredible Member

Dick Grayson is the original Robin. No history changes. I grew up with Dick Grayson as Robin and to take that out of his history would be a great disservice to the character.

Dick as Robin started so many things...it's incredibly important, one of the most important backgrounds.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Dick Robin was the first character i loved in my life, no one should change that.

A similar question about Wally West's time as Kid-Flash could raise some pretty interesting discussion in the main DC forum.

I have to admit that I am not a fan of the multiple Robin's over the past few decades. Dick Grayson as Robin worked in the early days back when comics were geared more for the younger audience, but today Batman should be riding SOLO!

NOTE: Thread first started in November 2017.
    --------------------------------------------------
    With 91 people having voted,
    * Dick's time as Robin must NEVER be removed/minimized = 81 votes
    * Meh. Don't hate his time as Robin, but wouldn't be sorry to see it go. = 5 votes
    * Dick's time as Robin matters/would still love the character without it. = 4 votes

And one person did chose: "His time as Robin is an embarrassment and I'd be glad to see it go away forever."
    Go figure.

Dick Grayson's stellar crime fighting ability is undeniably linked to him being trained by Batman, and their bond is strong because of that.

It's essential to his character, and should never be removed or minimized.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Dick Grayson spent the first 44 years of his existence as Robin, but he has been Nightwing for the past 33 years. Undoubtedly, many readers of Nightwing's adventures today were not even born when Dick appeared as Robin in monthly comics.

That being the case, how important is Dick's time as Robin to you as a fan? If a new writer were to retcon Dick's career as Robin out of continuity completely, or reduce it to some ridiculously brief time like five days, how would you feel?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    You didn't include the option of "don't care". You have meh, but then go on to assume we're still Nightwing fans. Some of us are just indifferent to Dick Grayson as a character whether as Robin or Nightwing.