View Poll Results: How do you feel about Dick's time as Robin?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • His time as Robin is an embarrassment and I'd be glad to see it go away forever.

1 0.81%
  • Meh. I'm a fan of Nightwing. Don't hate his time as Robin, but wouldn't be sorry to see it go.

7 5.65%
  • Dick's time as Robin does matter, but I would still love the character without it.

6 4.84%
  • NO! Dick's time as Robin is SACROSANCT and must NEVER be removed or minimized!

110 88.71%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Creators and DC themselves felt Robin didn't reflect well on Batman/felt he didn't fit the darker world of Batman since O'neil. Burton fought really hard against WB to exclude Robin from his movies.

O'neil supported getting rid of Jason finally deciding to follow through after noting the lack of fan negativity after Miller's TDKR introduced a dead Robin.

The decision to end the Robin legacy was walked back due to profits rather than story.

The concept of Robin is problematic esp after Jason. Snyder went on record calling it irresponsible and something Batman would never do. I feel like this is a feeling that's shared by quite a few.

In today's world Batman still employing non powered minors after losing one doesn't make him look very smart or caring.

This is another reason why Dick's tenure as Robin is so critical. Dick is the only successful and positive Robin.

A young life saved by Batman through Robin. Jason died, Tim was living a 'normal' safe life away from the violence of crime fighting. Steph died.
    Damian was saved, redeemed and the world made safer by him becoming Robin but he's still a work in progress and even Damian also died.

Robin is iconic as batman's sidekick but that's more pop culture these days.

The general audience are used to seeing batman without Robin or only seeing Robin with TT, Titans, YJ.

To the newest generation of fans, Robin is Batman's sidekick who is a part of TT since TTGO is likely their 1st introduction to him
    Spot on!

I would disagree about Dick being the only ''successful'' Robin. Tim was a pretty successful Robin too. But I agree that he didn't have to be Robin and was leading a pretty normal life. So yeah, seen in that vein - Dick could have gone down a dark path after his parent's were killed so becoming Robin was a net positive for him. Jason would also have gone down a dark path, and after being killed and resurrected, he's still on a dark path, albeit one that's kinda doing some good so...I guess its 50/50. Tim was leading a normal life before he got involved in Batman's world as Robin and suffered some tragedies, so I'd say its not a net positive, but maybe not a net negative either. For Damian, being Robin is a net positive, but he's starting from a pretty bad place (and as I've said, I feel he's something different from the classic Robin concept). For Steph I guess its a net negative since she died, but she was a vigilante already so...

But yeah, I agree that Robin being Batman's sidekick is a bit of a pop-culture hangover now. Back in 1989, even though the comics had toned down his influence on the Batman mythos over time, most people still associated Robin closely with Batman thanks to the 60's show and the Superfriends cartoons - so excluding him from the Burton film was a big deal. Today, if Reeves or anyone else chose to include him in a live-action project with Batman, that would be the big deal!

NOTE: Thread was first started in November 2017.

--------------------------------------------------

With 107 people having voted,
    * Dick's time as Robin must NEVER be removed/minimized = 96 votes
    * Meh. Don't hate his time as Robin, but wouldn't be sorry to see it go. = 5 votes
    * Dick's time as Robin matters/would still love the character without it. = 5 votes
    * His time as Robin is an embarrassment and I'd be glad to see it go away forever. = 1 vote

NOTE: Thread was first started in November 2017.

--------------------------------------------------

With 110 people having voted,
    * Dick's time as Robin must NEVER be removed/minimized = 98 votes (+2)
    * Meh. Don't hate his time as Robin, but wouldn't be sorry to see it go. = 6 votes (+1)
    * Dick's time as Robin matters/would still love the character without it. = 5 votes
    * His time as Robin is an embarrassment and I'd be glad to see it go away forever. = 1 vote

Incredible Member

He is not the same character without it. Point blank. Fundamental.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

He always should be the first Robin.

His tenure as Robin? I'd say a minium of 3-5 years in the role until he moves on. Jason can be the 5 day Robin.

With 116 people having voted,
    * Dick's time as Robin must NEVER be removed/minimized = 103 votes
    * Meh. Don't hate his time as Robin, but wouldn't be sorry to see it go. = 7 votes

I grew up during the late silver and bronze age. His tenure as Robin is a hell of a lot more important to me than his tenure as Nightwing.

Grew up with Teen Wonder version of the 70’s & 80’s. Never had an issue with him becoming Nightwing. I especially loved that the name was tied into his history with Superman. If you’ve read many silver age World’s Finest issues, Superman was a decent presence in Grayson’s life. I was indifferent to the Robins that followed although, the last one I read consistently was Tim Drake.

I honestly can’t believe they haven’t rebooted things back to Dick Grayson being Robin. I always thought one day they would.

Depends on the story! For me, I dont think its necessary for Dick to always start the story off as Robin. If they did a movie about him as Nightwing skipping over robin, id be 100% ok with that. I only ask that his time period as robin is respected and treated as something he not only created but also how its tied to his parents.