Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

funny though when the thread came up what titles do you want Bendis on my first thought was none of the ones I care about, but on this thread I instantly put Hickman on my absolute favorites (along with the JSA).

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    funny though when the thread came up what titles do you want Bendis on my first thought was none of the ones I care about, but on this thread I instantly put Hickman on my absolute favorites (along with the JSA).
    Bendis and Hickman each have very different strengths and weaknesses. I can't imagine many people familiar with both of them to find books they'd like to see both of them on.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Bendis and Hickman each have very different strengths and weaknesses. I can't imagine many people familiar with both of them to find books they'd like to see both of them on.
    Challenge accepted!

Okay....let's see.....

Ah! Firestorm! They'd come at the property from very different angles but I think they could both do solid work with the character.

And.....

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Crazy thought here but...

I've heard it said that Hickman can do really great plotting for epic stories, but can sometimes lack grounding things in characterization and heart.

I've heard it said that Bendis is more dialogue and characterization and talking heads than plot and that not much happens plot wise.

But what if they were put together on a Legion title with Hickman steering the cosmic plot and Bendis doing dialogue and grounding the characterization?

Kinda like Giffen and J. M. Dematies on JLI?
    Last edited by Midnighter; 11-14-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    Crazy thought here but...

I've heard it said that Hickman can do really great plotting for epic stories, but can sometimes lack grounding things in characterization and heart.

I've heard it said that Bendis is more dialogue and characterization and talking heads than plot and that not much happens plot wise.

But what if they were put together on a Legion title with Hickman steering the cosmic plot and Bendis doing dialogue and grounding the characterization?
    Sounds like it would be a VERY EXPEN$IVE writing team, and they wouldn't even be on a title expected to be a MAJOR money-maker for DC.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Challenge accepted!

Ah! Firestorm! They'd come at the property from very different angles but I think they could both do solid work with the character.
    I see what you did there.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I'd like to see Jonathan at DC. Could be fun.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Sounds like it would be a VERY EXPEN$IVE writing team, and they wouldn't even be on a title expected to be a MAJOR money-maker for DC.
    I see what you're saying and it's more than a fair point. However maybe DC's own low expectations of the franchise and NOT putting top talent on it is partly to blame for it's decline in relevance to the DC stable.

It was ,at one time, one of DC's best selling titles. Granted that was many ,many ,many ,many moons ago but still.

It has untapped potential to be a whole corner of the DCU in and of itself. It just needs someone with vision and perhaps a big name or two to shine a light on it.

Mighty Member

Would some combination of Hickman's and Bendis' bases cover the lost Legion-base? How much cross-over is there between Hickman and Bendis fans?

If nothing else, the base for Legion might gone at this point. From what I have seen over the years, Legion fans were generally older (40+) and focused on very specific titles. Are they even around in meaningful numbers a this point? When in the last time DC really pushed Legion?

And, from what I have seen, Legion fans are as likely to complain about anything new or different as they are to follow a Legion series. They are not likely to buy in for a Bendis/Hickman Legion series, which gets back to the need for the writers' bases to replace the lost Legion fans.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/