Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default BENDIS tweets photo of DC trades - a sign of things to come?

People have been reacting to Bendis's impending arrival at DC Comics like nothing else in recent memory. I think Bendis has finally gone beyond hype and really broken the Internet.

However, today we finally might have a real clue as to what Bendis will be writing for DC. He posted the following picture on Instagram that can also be seen at this link on CBR: https://www.cbr.com/bendis-dc-exclusive-analysis/3/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbOEeq9hDHM/

I think this gives us a better opportunity for predicting what he'll be doing.

What was interesting to me was not only what Bendis posted, but what the did NOT post.

In that stack of graphic novels, we can see the following characters recur:

- Justice League
    - Justice Society
    - Legion of Super-Heroes
    - Teen Titans
    - Superman
    - Green Lantern

Of DC's five main characters (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash), we can see that only Superman and Green Lantern are represented. Gotham Central is there, so maybe he'll do a revival of that series, which would fit in well with his Crime-Noir writing background.

I do think it's very significant that a writer would stack a bunch of DC trades and deliberately leave out Batman. That can't be an accident that he left out DC's biggest character. Right now, the Batman line seems to be in good shape, so maybe there's no room for him at the moment.

With Superman and JLA, I can see him taking over the JL book that Bryan Hitch is about to leave, and with Superman, they could create a third monthly title for him as I think DC is pleased with the work that Tomasi and Jurgens are doing.

A revival of both Legion and JSA have been teased since the Rebirth special, so I think that having Bendis do both books would really give those fan-favorite, but troubled franchises a high-profile shot in the arm and give them the best chances they've had at success in over a decade.

What do you guys think of Bendis's Instagram picture? Do you think it holds any clues as to what he'll be doing?

For me, of the six series I listed above from his picture, I'd like to see him do Gotham Central, Legion, and JSA.

Extraordinary Member

I swear I thought I saw Batman: Earth One.

Gotham Central for me. That'd be fun in an Alias sort of Way. I was hoping for The Question and GCPD titles, but with Central they could possibly build to a Question book with Montoya.

Personally though I think Bendis could do quite interesting things with Captain Cold and the Rogues in a Series about them. Call it 'Rogues Rising' and have it be about Snart and Co rising to Power again in Central City.
    Last edited by Denirac; 11-08-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Zoom-able image...

From top to bottom:

The Flash: Iron Heights
    JSA: Darkness Falls
    JSA: The Return of Hawkman
    Batman: Earth One
    Superman: Secret Origin
    JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice
    DC Comics Presents: The Life Story of the Flash #1
    DC Comics Presents: JLA - The Age of Wonder #1
    DC Comics Presents: Batman - Arkham #1
    DC Comics Presents: The Son of Superman #1
    DC Comics Presents: The Legion of Super-Heroes #1
    The Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga
    The Legion of Super-Heroes: The Curse
    Justice League International Omnibus v.1
    Superman: Brainiac
    Superman: Last Son
    Superman: Escape From Bizarro World
    Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
    Superman Golden Age Omnibus v.1
    Infinite Crisis
    Batman: The Dark Prince Charming
    Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus v.1
    Gotham Central Omnibus
    Wonder Woman: Earth One
    Batman/Superman: World's Finest
    (a book I can't make out, but with a creator "Hope" listed, possibly Secret Origins)
    DC Comics: Zero Year
    Absolute Identity Crisis
    Teen Titans by Geoff Johns
    Superman: A Celebration of 75 Years
    Kingdom Come

Interestingly notes-

Missing:
    Anything New Teen Titans (Judas Contract, Games or an Omnibus)
    Anything central to current Justice League (with Virtue and Vice (a JSA crossover), Age of Wonder (an Elseworlds), JLI and Identity Crisis the extent of the League material)
    Almost anything Wonder Woman (aside from Earth One)

There appears to be a lot of material that's by Johns, which he could really be reading to get a grasp on the current DC writing style and could be included not because of the characters, but rather because they're by Johns.

A lot of Elseworlds stuff.

A lot of Superman stuff.

Legion of Super-Heroes, Gotham Central and JLI seem like the ones that stick out as out of place among the rest. These are likely the ones he's reading more for reference.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-08-2017 at 04:35 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Not sure if it gives any strong hints of where he'll land, rather he's just doing some major boning up on history.

But damn, there's way too much Johns' Superman work there for comfort. Get this man the really good Superman stuff. Get him some Moore, Maggin, 90s Jurgens, Busiek, Morrison, etc.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-08-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The question is did he get past the covers and actually read them?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    It doesn't matter - what matters is how it's all going to fit the Bendisverse?

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    He literally stated that he's read them already and is rereading them now as a collaborator.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The most alarming thing there is Identity Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The most alarming thing there is Identity Crisis.
    It's probably included as an overall DCU title, along with Kingdom Come and Zero Year.
    I wouldn't read too much into it being included.

I think if we omit all the blanket DCU books like those, all the Geoff Johns books and all the Elseworlds stuff, we'd get a clearer idea of what he's leaning towards.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-08-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Fantastic Member

I don't doubt he has read them as for Superman he has posted tons of stuff about Superman. He clearly has a love of the character. If you want to see some of his posts go look in Superman forum section they have a thread that has some of his Superman posts.

i think that JSA and Legion of Superheroes are the strongest possibilities, althougth i admit that i had no basis for this assumption is just a gut feeling

Right now, from the clues and process of elimination...

My guess would be:

Legion of Super-Heroes (the two Levitz collections stick out, especially considering the Wolfman Titans isn't listed)
    Gotham Central (sticks out - not by Johns, fits his style)
    JLI (sticks out- not by Johns, fan-loved/DC brass-hated incarnation)
    Superman (lots of material shown there, especially background stuff not by Johns)

Interestingly, all but Superman could fit with the Bendis style.

The Levitz Legion was a superhero team, but was more of a superhero soap opera with long subplots and deep story threads.
    JLI was a superhero team, but it was more character-oriented with the dialogue and interactions between the members the main draw.
    Gotham Central was basically Hill Street Blues meets Gotham, an ensemble crime drama show in comic format.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-08-2017 at 04:43 PM.

(a book I can't make out that has Wonder Woman's image at the top of the spine)
    Is Wonder Woman: Earth One.

Fantastic Member
    Last edited by reni344; 11-08-2017 at 04:35 PM.