Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who is your favorite Spidey penciller/artist?

Just watching the CBR interview with Todd McFarlane, I'm reminded how I loved his art and Erik Larsen's. To this day, these two are still my favorites. Some of the current ones and recently departed are up at the top of my list, but when I started reading comics, Spidey in particular, it was in the late 80's/early 90's, so I have a special place for Todd and Erik from then.

My favorites outside of Todd and Erik:

Camuncoli
    Stegman
    Caselli
    Ramos
    Romita Jr
    Leonardi (2099)
    Sliney (2099)
    Ron Frenz from the symbiote stuff
    John Byrne if only for the cover of PP:SSM 101
    Romita Sr. - Maybe the quintessential Spidey artist?

What do you guys think? How do you feel about Todd and Erik? Any other artists that really moved you?
    Last edited by Sparko; 11-10-2015 at 04:03 PM.

McFarlane's early ASM stuff was good. But it started to get too busy as time went on. Too much ink on the page. And I'll never entirely forgive him for giving Mary Jane 80s hair.

My favorite is probably Romita, Sr.

Also really like Romita, Jr., Ross Andru, Mark Bagley, Sara Pichelli, Humberto Ramos.

Wouldn't mind seeing some more Chris Bachalo work on Spider-Man either. And curious to see how McGuinness's work will look in the Spidey/Deadpool book.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    McFarlane's early ASM stuff was good. But it started to get too busy as time went on. Too much ink on the page. And I'll never entirely forgive him for giving Mary Jane 80s hair.

My favorite is probably Romita, Sr.

Also really like Romita, Jr., Ross Andru, Mark Bagley, Sara Pichelli, Humberto Ramos.

Wouldn't mind seeing some more Chris Bachalo work on Spider-Man either. And curious to see how McGuinness's work will look in the Spidey/Deadpool book.
    Yeah, I love Romita Sr. I accidentally edited him out earlier. Being added back now!

Amazing Member

ramos for his work on dying wish and spider island, venom ssm
    frenz for his work on the mj origin and hobgoblin stories
    leonardi for his 4 fill ins with defalco,
    stegman for his great betty brant fill in,
    camo for the massacre ssm arc
    saviuk for the best aping of romita sr

My favorite combo is Gil Kane on pencils and John Romita on inks.

The Spider-Man comics are really lucky to have Ditko and Romita Sr. as the first artists.

I really can't pick between the two.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

My two favorites are probably Luke Ross and Mike Deodato Jr. The JMD/Ross 90's run on Spectacular was my first intro to the world of Spidey comics, so there's no small amount of nostalgia there, but even after all this time I really like Ross' art. And Deodato's art on Amazing (and later Thunderbolts) was just beautiful to look at.

But those are just my personal favorites. Spidey's been lucky enough to have had some really great artists over the years, and a lot of varieties of style.

Romita Sr. is the quintessential Spider-Man artist. What most people think of Spider-Man and of all the main cast is based on Romita's work.

After him, I have always loved Andru and Kane from the classical years, Romita Jr. from the '90s onwards (before he was alright, but not so personal), McFarlane (although I didn't really like his take on most of the original cast, but his Spidey was great), Eriksen, Buckingham, McNiven, Dodson and Wieringo.

Bagley really impressed me with his USM run. But as far as classic Spidey goes, its Romita Sr., Gil Kane, and Ross Andru who established what the character looks like for me.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Romita Sr. is probably my absolute favorite.

I also really enjoy Bagley, Campbell, Dodson, McFarlane, and (of course) Ditko

Mark Bagley and Todd McFarlane. Mark does the better people but Todd did the better Spidey

BANNED

Marcos Martin is probably top of the list, even if he's not the most famous. Ramos is fun and works best with Slott's style. Max Fiumara did something like two issues, but those two issues are one of my favorite BND stories.

Andru has to be up there for me. The Conway stuff was always some of my favorite. Romita Sr is up there too.

After you get past the obvious (Ditko and JR SR as the 2 greatest by a wide margin), I think Marcos Martin is probably the best of the modern era and I always thought Ross Andru was underrated as his cityscapes (an important part of any Spidey story) were outstanding. I loved early Todd McFarlane but not so much as time went on; Mark Buckingham was another underrated artist IMO whose work stands up very well.

I grew up on Bagley. That guy was like the official Spider-Man artist to me back then, but my tastes have long since changed. What a workhorse, though. Nobody really stands out as much though. I came in after McFarlane, though I was always under the impression he was one of the bigger, more modern day standouts.
    The Dodsons do great work but I think I'd give it to Marcos Martin. His covers in particular are modern classics.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«