Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Default What is the most morally dubious/douchey thing Spider-Man has ever done?

So, I was just re-reading some recent Venom and Venom: Spaceknight issues, and I really noticed just how bad Peter was in Venom #6 when he cheated the symbiote into being captured by using its own desire to be a hero against it. Now, I always thought that was a disgusting thing to do, but after reading Venom: Spaceknight 12 again, I just realized just how bad that was, since Peter and Venom had a heart-to-heart of sorts where the symbiote apologized for its earlier misdeeds and tells Peter how it now wants to be a hero. So, Peter taking advantage of that knowledge (or just completely forgetting/disregarding that conversation)and the good nature of the symbiote to try and capture it (and presumably lock it up indefinitely) was an inexcusable move by Peter, IMO.

Anyways, that got me thinking what else Peter may have done which makes him come off as a scumbag, since, while he is one of the more noble heroes, he is far from perfect and has his bad days. (Not to mention the fact that he sometimes take his humor overboard to the point he is disrespecting/brushing off serious/tragic moments other characters may be going through, which is in itself a bit douchey)

With that said, what do you guys think is Peter's worst moment, in this sense? (I'm currently leaning towards the aforementioned betrayal of the Venom symbiote, but I don't really recall too many other moments where Peter acted like an @$$). To keep this interesting, let's omit any OMD/OMIT/Mephisto-related moments, since that's basically the most obvious answer...
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 11-08-2017 at 08:07 PM.

When he sold his marriage to Mephisto. I don't care if it was "agreed" upon, it was still a dink move.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    When he sold his marriage to Mephisto. I don't care if it was "agreed" upon, it was still a dink move.
    Yeah, this is like the most obvious answer here (though, tbh, I don't think doing it after MJ agreed is quite as bad as how he ruthlessly betrayed Venom) which is why I specifically requested any other moments. Off the top of your head, are there any other moments where you think Peter acted like a complete a**hole?

iMan 42s

Peter has killed enemies before and I'm pretty sure a list of them is somewhere out on the web. It was pretty extensive at that and funny to think about with "no one dies".

One in particular was that in one story he was partially responsible for Iron man 2020 where he didn't give Arno a chance to explain himself, he beat him to the point his armor malfunctioned and got sent back to his time resulting in the deaths of everyone Arno tried to rescue in 2020. I really wouldn't be surprised if Arno ever retaliated against Peter in 2020.

Peter either deliberately or conveniently forgot about Morlun's weakness to radiation that resulted in dozens of Spider-men being killed.

Peter also had no plan in Spiderverse, Otto did the heavy lifting.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Trying to hire Pepper Potts for Parker Industries just because Tony had hired Mary Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Peter has killed enemies before and I'm pretty sure a list of them is somewhere out on the web. It was pretty extensive at that and funny to think about with "no one dies".

One in particular was that in one story he was partially responsible for Iron man 2020 where he didn't give Arno a chance to explain himself, he beat him to the point his armor malfunctioned and got sent back to his time resulting in the deaths of everyone Arno tried to rescue in 2020. I really wouldn't be surprised if Arno ever retaliated against Peter in 2020.

Peter either deliberately or conveniently forgot about Morlun's weakness to radiation that resulted in dozens of Spider-men being killed.

i remember reading that iron man 2020 story as a kid and thinking spidey was a prick
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Yeah, this is like the most obvious answer here (though, tbh, I don't think doing it after MJ agreed is quite as bad as how he ruthlessly betrayed Venom) which is why I specifically requested any other moments. Off the top of your head, are there any other moments where you think Peter acted like a complete a**hole?
    you had to know peeps still would say it. it must be stored in their auto correct by now
    troo fan or death

Enraged and accidentally hit MJ.

Take credit and PhD for someone else's work.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    you had to know peeps still would say it. it must be stored in their auto correct by now
    yeah, you're right (unfortunately) lmao. the majority of topics on these forums gets derailed into an OMD thread in some way or another...

yeah, you're right (unfortunately) lmao. the majority of topics on these forums gets derailed into an OMD thread in some way or another...
    that. and asking people not to do something is a sure way to get them to actually do it
    troo fan or death

Iron Man 2020 didn't try to offer any explanation until he was seconds away from being sent back and everything he said prior indicated that he wanted to harm an innocent for no reason (he did privately admit that he was botching it). All Spidey thought he knew was that modern day Iron Man was attacking an innocent for no reason. I'm not sure that qualifies.

Yes, we are drawn to it, like moths to the flame, as the Goblin might say.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by The Rhino View Post
    Take credit and PhD for someone else's work.
    I don't know if these would really count as douche moves... Peter forgetting about radiation as a weakness of Morlun is just plot - in that case, you could say Peter not building Uncle Ben Foundation to stop poverty across the world till very recently was a douche move too. As for Ock coming up with plans instead of Peter, I wouldn't say that makes Peter a douche either - it's not like Peter following Cap's plans on the Avengers instead of making up his own is a douche move, is it? And while Peter does still have the PhD Ock earned, he hasn't taken credit for any of Ock's work other than that. Not to mention the fact that he specifically doesn't use the PhD for any sort of advantage (he hasn't applied for any jobs which would require a PhD, or gained any sort of advantage from that extra degree), and specifically requests not be called "Dr. Parker". It's not a douche move since he has tried to distance himself from that degree as far as possible without going out and saying that someone took over his body and thus revealing his secret identity to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Iron Man 2020 didn't try to offer any explanation until he was seconds away from being sent back and everything he said prior indicated that he wanted to harm an innocent for no reason (he did privately admit that he was botching it). All Spidey thought he knew was that modern day Iron Man was attacking an innocent for no reason. I'm not sure that qualifies.

Yes, we are drawn to it, like moths to the flame, as the Goblin might say.
    Yeah, I don't really remember the full details of how this fight went down, but I'm pretty sure that your summary is spot-on. Personally, while you could say that's a douche move in the bigger picture, I also wouldn't consider it unless Arno specifically mentioned what was going on.

And yeah, OMD is always going to be a huge talking point until it is resolved (which, at this rate, seems like it will never happen).
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 11-08-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'd agree with Peter stabbing the symbiote in the proverbial back when it really did want to be a hero in Venom #6 by Mike Costa, though even Peter admitted to himself he was going to hell for that one. Speaking of morally dubious if not downright douche-level behavior regarding the symbiote, the original comics had it that the symbiote wasn't doing anything to Peter other than trying to help him until Peter's fear and disgust at the thought of "wearing" a living creature drove him to force it off him, and it got desperate not to be rejected by its first and (still) most beloved host. Even so, when it realized that Peter was willing to effectively kill himself rather than remain bonded, it chose to leave him to save his life, so it wasn't all that evil despite the pain and heartbreak of rejection. Yeah, that just sticks out for me; no wonder the later versions changed it, 'cause it's hard to root for somebody who acts like that toward a mostly harmless living creature.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I don't know if these would really count as douche moves... Peter forgetting about radiation as a weakness of Morlun is just plot - in that case, you could say Peter not building Uncle Ben Foundation to stop poverty across the world till very recently was a douche move too. As for Ock coming up with plans instead of Peter, I wouldn't say that makes Peter a douche either - it's not like Peter following Cap's plans on the Avengers instead of making up his own is a douche move, is it? And while Peter does still have the PhD Ock earned, he hasn't taken credit for any of Ock's work other than that. Not to mention the fact that he specifically doesn't use the PhD for any sort of advantage (he hasn't applied for any jobs which would require a PhD, or gained any sort of advantage from that extra degree), and specifically requests not be called "Dr. Parker". It's not a douche move since he has tried to distance himself from that degree as far as possible without going out and saying that someone took over his body and thus revealing his secret identity to the world.

Yeah, I don't really remember the full details of how this fight went down, but I'm pretty sure that your summary is spot-on. Personally, while you could say that's a douche move in the bigger picture, I also wouldn't consider it unless Arno specifically mentioned what was going on.

And yeah, OMD is always going to be a huge talking point until it is resolved (which, at this rate, seems like it will never happen).

yeah no doubt, i only read the middle of it as a back up strip in a transformers uk comic. i wouldn’t be surprised if arno didn’t explain properly due to plot induced tongue tiedness
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Trying to hire Pepper Potts for Parker Industries just because Tony had hired Mary Jane.
    Yeah, that whole issue was really cringey.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.