Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Probably the moment he hit MJ. He was upset over the clone sage, but still. He hit his wife.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Well, here's some material to add to my initial catalyst for starting this thread - Peter's unfair treatment of the symbiote. SPOILERS for Venom Inc. Alpha #1:

spoilers:
    According to Bleeding Cool's advance review of the issue, Peter is still going to be an ass towards the symbiote. At this point, I wouldn't even blame Venom if it just ate Peter, because he honestly deserves it.

Oddly enough, one of the most compelling actors in this story is the symbiote itself, which loves both Eddie and Flash so much that it wants to bond with them both.

Spider-Man comes off as the douchebag in all of this. He doesn’t want either man to have it, despite both having used it for good in recent years. He just wants the thing dead — which isn’t very heroic, if we’re being honest.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 11-12-2017 at 02:01 PM.

I can't really blame Spider-man for not wanting the symbite around. he's got a real bad bit of history with it, a lot of that being Eddie's fault.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I can't really blame Spider-man for not wanting the symbite around. he's got a real bad bit of history with it, a lot of that being Eddie's fault.
    The operative phrase is that a lot of it is Eddie's fault - NOT the symbiote's. Yet we don't see Peter trying to kill Eddie, do we? Hell, Osborn has done far worse than the symbiote ever has, yet Peter doesn't try to kill him either...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    The operative phrase is that a lot of it is Eddie's fault - NOT the symbiote's. Yet we don't see Peter trying to kill Eddie, do we? Hell, Osborn has done far worse than the symbiote ever has, yet Peter doesn't try to kill him either...
    The problem is that Peter doesn't blame Eddie (entirely) for his actions as Venom, but attributes it largely to the symbiote's literal corruptive influence on its hosts, even in the face of evidence and experience that the corruption actually starts with the hosts themselves. In a way, the symbiote is like the MCU Super-Soldier Serum or how the Phoenix Force was recently described in the comics; it amplifies everything inside its vessel, good and bad, and if a host breaks bad, chances really are that said host was just bad all along or couldn't handle the power bestowed on him or her. Given that, the real reason Peter might hate the symbiote so much is that he just didn't like what his time bonded with it said about the darker side of his own nature, and blaming it all on the symbiote is easier than admitting that there could be something as dark and twisted in him as there was in Eddie Brock that created Venom.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Isn't our current understanding of the Venom symbiote that it was already on the road to evil when since before original Secret Wars? (In other words, while Eddie Brock may have already been in a bad place and made things worse, Venom wasn't the victim, but a parter in crime, so to speak.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Isn't our current understanding of the Venom symbiote that it was already on the road to evil when since before original Secret Wars? (In other words, while Eddie Brock may have already been in a bad place and made things worse, Venom wasn't the victim, but a parter in crime, so to speak.)
    When Spider-Man first encountered the symbiote, it has actually been imprisoned by other symbiotes for wanting to bond with its hosts instead of just wanting to devour them, so it was actually trying to be good. It was Eddie's influence that gradually made it more carnivorous (hence probably why Venom gradually became more gruesome as time went on).
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    When Spider-Man first encountered the symbiote, it has actually been imprisoned by other symbiotes for wanting to bond with its hosts instead of just wanting to devour them, so it was actually trying to be good. It was Eddie's influence that gradually made it more carnivorous (hence probably why Venom gradually became more gruesome as time went on).
    I've never heard anything like that before. Where was that established?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I've never heard anything like that before. Where was that established?
    Planet of the Symbiotes
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

iMan 42s

Why not let Flash have it? Flash openly idolizes Spider-man, and the symbiote even enjoys imitating the guy. Flash has been an Avenger, they had been on the same side during the last Civil War. They made nice in Agent Venom's last series but now Peter wants nobody to have the symbiote? That same being that has largely played nice in recent years but Peter wants it destroyed? Why?

It makes more sense to want to kill Osborn.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LASERlips View Post
    Probably the moment he hit MJ. He was upset over the clone sage, but still. He hit his wife.
    He hit a pregnant woman with no superpowers. Like someone else mentioned that’s worse than Hank smacking Janet.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Why not let Flash have it? Flash openly idolizes Spider-man, and the symbiote even enjoys imitating the guy. Flash has been an Avenger, they had been on the same side during the last Civil War. They made nice in Agent Venom's last series but now Peter wants nobody to have the symbiote? That same being that has largely played nice in recent years but Peter wants it destroyed? Why?

It makes more sense to want to kill Osborn.
    But there is a difference between playing nice when Flash and the symbiote when he is actively using it (with his government program supporting him) during a crisis like Civil War or Spider-Island. If the symbiote is unattached, I can see Peter wanting to destroy it rather than let it bond with someone.

And Peter does have a history of being ambivalent with Venom and the symbiote. He stranded Venom on the island after faking his own death. They worked together against Carnage when he first appeared and during Maximum Carnage. And he came to a truce with Venom just before the Lethal Protector mini. Peter can be very pragmatic when dealing with Venom and the symbiote, but I don't think he was every really at peace with the symbiote running free. I can see Peter deciding the symbiote should be destroyed if the opportunity came up.

In the grand scheme of things this isn’t the worst thing in the world, but I remember being shocked at how unethical it was. In AMS #624 Peter used photoshop to doctor and image of J. Jonah Jameson. The fake picture gave JJJ an alibi for a crime Peter knew he was innocent of. He proceeded to publish the picture and everyone backed off JJJ. However, at a press conference JJJ admitted the picture was fake, vowing to clear his name but refusing to do so dishonestly. He then fired Peter on the spot.

Peter should have found a better way to clear Jonah. Faking a picture just seemed so wrong to me. It’s obviously not “deal with the devil” wrong, but I think it resonates more because it’s realistic and happens in real life.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Shooting a guy in the crotch at close range with webbing in the Amazing Spider-Man movie, especially since he didn't turn out to be exactly who he was looking for to do that too. That was a dick move. A brash one at that too.