Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Letting the burglar go. Everything else is gravy. Bad guys deserve bad things. Venom/Brock gets no sympathy from me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    In the grand scheme of things this isn’t the worst thing in the world, but I remember being shocked at how unethical it was. In AMS #624 Peter used photoshop to doctor and image of J. Jonah Jameson. The fake picture gave JJJ an alibi for a crime Peter knew he was innocent of. He proceeded to publish the picture and everyone backed off JJJ. However, at a press conference JJJ admitted the picture was fake, vowing to clear his name but refusing to do so dishonestly. He then fired Peter on the spot.

Peter should have found a better way to clear Jonah. Faking a picture just seemed so wrong to me. It’s obviously not “deal with the devil” wrong, but I think it resonates more because it’s realistic and happens in real life.
    Peter has faked pictures going back to Amazing Spider-Man #4. If you go through all the Spider-Man stories, you see that Peter doesn't have much of a code of ethics for photojournalism.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    But there is a difference between playing nice when Flash and the symbiote when he is actively using it (with his government program supporting him) during a crisis like Civil War or Spider-Island. If the symbiote is unattached, I can see Peter wanting to destroy it rather than let it bond with someone.

And Peter does have a history of being ambivalent with Venom and the symbiote. He stranded Venom on the island after faking his own death. They worked together against Carnage when he first appeared and during Maximum Carnage. And he came to a truce with Venom just before the Lethal Protector mini. Peter can be very pragmatic when dealing with Venom and the symbiote, but I don't think he was every really at peace with the symbiote running free. I can see Peter deciding the symbiote should be destroyed if the opportunity came up.
    For someone who has a "no-kill" rule, he sure seems to ditch his morals easily when the symbiote is involved. We know the symbiote is a sentient being (and so does Peter) so I still think it is either utterly douchey/hyprocritical or completely OOC for Peter to want to murder the symbiote, and yet be fine letting the person who f***ed his girlfriend and then killed her live....

I could even understand Peter trying to capture the symbiote and not let it bond with anyone else, if there was no one who wanted it (he could build some sort of device that could work as a jail for Venom to atone for past crimes, though that is still morally dubious since it was established Venom was insane back then, which means it wasn't responsible for its actions) - however, Flash (and Eddie) very clearly LIKE Venom, and consider Venom a friend.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    For someone who has a "no-kill" rule, he sure seems to ditch his morals easily when the symbiote is involved. We know the symbiote is a sentient being (and so does Peter) so I still think it is either utterly douchey/hyprocritical or completely OOC for Peter to want to murder the symbiote, and yet be fine letting the person who f***ed his girlfriend and then killed her live....

I could even understand Peter trying to capture the symbiote and not let it bond with anyone else, if there was no one who wanted it (he could build some sort of device that could work as a jail for Venom to atone for past crimes, though that is still morally dubious since it was established Venom was insane back then, which means it wasn't responsible for its actions) - however, Flash (and Eddie) very clearly LIKE Venom, and consider Venom a friend.
    The problem here is that there’s no consistency with how the symbiote is written. I can’t tell if it’s like an old-School vampire (you have to kill to keep people safe) or something else. And I’m sure both parties have arguments in their favor.

As for Eddie and Flash, I’ll admit I’m not so sure. Eddie has killed people, even innocent people, so I wouldn’t him with it. As for Flash, didn’t he depend on it being sedated for it to be safe? (That’s an actual question; I know next to nothing about Agent Venom.)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post

He has more of a case for Eddie than he does for Flash. Eddie established himself as Venom by stalking, tormenting, and ultimately trying to kill Spider-Man, not to mention threatening Spider-Man's loved ones to goad him into confrontation, and even when he was trying to be a "lethal protector," he did let his standards slip a few too many times to be entirely let off the hook. Flash, on the other hand, did nothing but good with the symbiote, even when circumstances were so heavily against him, and their bond eventually became one of mutual friendship and trust, so at the very least, Peter should be able to trust Flash to keep the symbiote in check, if he still can't bring himself to trust the symbiote. And yes, it is rather messed up that Peter can't see past his own hatred of the symbiote (and perhaps, from my head-canon, the darker aspects of himself that it accentuated and maybe amplified) to recognize that it doesn't want to be the monster that it was anymore and that it can be rehabilitated.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    The problem here is that there’s no consistency with how the symbiote is written. I can’t tell if it’s like an old-School vampire (you have to kill to keep people safe) or something else. And I’m sure both parties have arguments in their favor.

As for Eddie and Flash, I’ll admit I’m not so sure. Eddie has killed people, even innocent people, so I wouldn’t him with it. As for Flash, didn’t he depend on it being sedated for it to be safe? (That’s an actual question; I know next to nothing about Agent Venom.)
    Long story made short, Flash and the symbiote eventually made friends and then during their time with the Guardians of the Galaxy, they were taken to the symbiotes' true homeworld, Klyntar, where the symbiote was purged of the corruption it had accrued from bonding with less-than-worthy hosts. Thus, Flash and the symbiote became Venom: Space Knight, Agent of the Cosmos, and went spreading justice and freedom throughout the universe until they had to return to Earth with the rest of the Guardians for Civil War II, at which point Flash tried to resolve some unfinished business with Andi "Mania" Benton, a teenage girl under his care after her father was murdered by one of his enemies and who had bonded with a demonically enhanced clone of the Venom symbiote.

In the process, he was interrupted by Spider-Man, who was gunning for the symbiote's blood and insistent that the symbiote could not be redeemed or reformed, regardless of the good it had done with Flash as its host. They seemed to come to something of an accord later, but that ended when Flash and the symbiote were somehow separated by a mysterious attacker, which led to the symbiote desperately bonding to Lee Price to survive and then being trapped and controlled by Price until Spider-Man tricked it into thinking he wanted to re-bond with it. Then, when it tried to rejoin with him, Spider-Man, with the help of Eddie Brock, trapped it, which reignited the symbiote's hatred for Spider-Man, but also made the symbiote somewhat dubious of Brock when Brock used this as an opportunity to reunite with the symbiote himself. That's the story.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 11-14-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Making light of a sexual assault victim (ASM605) and ripping a woman’s face off (Grim Hunt) come to mind

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    Making light of a sexual assault victim (ASM605) and ripping a woman’s face off (Grim Hunt) come to mind
    You mean with the Chameleon "making out" with Michele Gonzales? Yeah, that was very bad form, and I blame that largely on the writer not getting it at all. Ripping a woman's face off in Grim Hunt? Considering it was the same woman that orchestrated the ritual murders of an innocent girl and the closest thing he had to a brother for the sake of resurrecting her husband, who made it very clear a long time ago that he didn't want to be on this Earth anymore, I'm having a hard time feeling pity for that one. Horrifying to witness, certainly, but she had it coming.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

At the end of Webspinners #14, Spider-Man let Cletus Kasady to be arrested by two beat cops without backup, despite knowing the danger. Considering that Kasady transforming into Carnage in the last panel, Peter basically allowed those cops to be killed, as well as anyone else at the hands of Carnage between that story and the Venom vs. Carnage miniseries. Come to think of it, he just let Venom and Carnage go at the end of that story without much of a thought. This is the same Spider-Man who deemed it necessary to track Venom all the way to San Francisco, risking a truce and potentially putting his loved ones' lives in danger, and who followed a truck transporting Carnage to the Vault, taking with him a massive Avengers energy rifle.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."