Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I smell what your cookin'.

WWE tried to push the Rock as a face, like their version of Tiger Woods, and that flopped. When the Rock decided to be himself, a legend was born.

They just need to let the next crop of writers develop organically.
    Ideally that's what they'd do. Hopefully they will. I don't see any sign of them not doing that tbf.

Mighty Member

To quote Kanye, "No one man should have all that power"

Bendis being able to do whatever he wanted didn't help his writing. It just gave him a reason not to strive towards improvement. Imo, Remender fell down a similar hole. X-Force became critically acclaimed, he starting to have a lot of influence, and imo characters suffered for it. I like Remender, I'm happy he's doing his own thing without the tangle of continuity. He's clearly more comfortable without it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Although in the later years I tended to hate his style of writing, I don't think anyone can/could match the output of Bendis. He consistently wrote so many monthly books for such a long period. It's quite an impressive feat even though a lot of his books read the same.

There are better writers in Marvel IMO but no on should get a push. Let the sales or reviews speak for themselves.
    Agreed

When he was poor it showed imo but when he was good I loved his stuff

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Cena puts bums on seats as well as sells a lot of merchandise and a lot of kids like him and some of them are now adults and still like him so clearly he did something right. Reigns doesn't sell tickets which is why I used Reigns as an example as to being the opposite of Hogan. As much as I personally don't like Cena he does put bums on seats and sells a lot of merchandise, and seems to get the ''right'' heat even though he's supposed to be a babyface. Whereas with Reigns as ''the guy'' WWE has half-empty stadiums for his shows.

Which is ironic since I actually prefer Reigns over Cena. Well except for promo work since Reigns can't cut a promo LOL.#

I do agree that you can't artificially create lightning in a bottle but that wouldn't stop Marvel from trying to push a writer or WWE trying to push a wrestler or any other examples LOL.
    Reigns sells more merchandise than any other full time wrestler right now (which doesn't count Cena). He right now generates income, which is why he's pushed in the position he's in. He's no Cena, but he's the closest thing the WE has to it right now on the full time roster. A Jinder is a better example of someone WWE is trying to artifically push to create a new star. That was a purely manufactured push.

But sometimes you take a chance, whether you're the WWE or marvel. If you like someone, give them a shot and see what happens. As long as it's done selectively, a few artificially created pushes here and there aren't the end of the world I suppose.

Astonishing Member

If they were to I would go for JA

Jane's story has been excellent imo

Cullen Bunn, he's a fantastic writer!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Reigns sells more merchandise than any other full time wrestler right now (which doesn't count Cena). He right now generates income, which is why he's pushed in the position he's in. He's no Cena, but he's the closest thing the WE has to it right now on the full time roster. A Jinder is a better example of someone WWE is trying to artifically push to create a new star. That was a purely manufactured push.

But sometimes you take a chance, whether you're the WWE or marvel. If you like someone, give them a shot and see what happens. As long as it's done selectively, a few artificially created pushes here and there aren't the end of the world I suppose.
    LOL. No he doesn't. LOL. Even WWE admitted that outside of Cena their biggest seller of merchandise is Styles. He is in the top five however according to WWE's own figures. No arguments about Jinder being a flop though. I've got no problem with companies doing artificial pushes because some work and some don't as you say.

Anyhow, I feel like I've accidentally derailed this thread by bringing up the WWE in the first place so this will be the last post in this thread that I make regarding WWE so as to not derail this thread any further. As it was not my intent to derail the thread. I'll state again that I don't actually mind Reigns, particularly when he does his spear.

If you wish to continue the discussion then either PM me, create a thread about it or send me a link to a thread about the WWE.

Please don't let it be Aaron. The guy only cares about his pet characters and has no problem crapping over any other characters.
    What he's done to the Shi'ar is disgusting.
    #EmmaWasRight

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Please don't let it be Aaron. The guy only cares about his pet characters and has no problem crapping over any other characters.
    Isn't that what Bendis does? Aaron sounds perfect now.

Astonishing Member

A lot of people might say that about bmb?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Do they even want to write 3+ titles a month?

Wilson's Ms. Marvel is a critical darling but it seems that's her only monthly. I'm sure with the output Marvel churns out they would offer her other writing assignments if she wanted it.
    Yeah, it seems like Bendis was the rare writer who could handle that kind of workload. Many writers struggle to get books out on time writing only one a month, particularly if they have a day job.

So while Dan Slott is in some ways their biggest star writer right now, he's never been the kind of writer who could take on a huge amount of work (even with Chris Gage helping out as co-writer sometimes). They probably couldn't put him in charge of more than one flagship franchise even if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Yeah, it seems like Bendis was the rare writer who could handle that kind of workload. Many writers struggle to get books out on time writing only one a month, particularly if they have a day job.

So while Dan Slott is in some ways their biggest star writer right now, he's never been the kind of writer who could take on a huge amount of work (even with Chris Gage helping out as co-writer sometimes). They probably couldn't put him in charge of more than one flagship franchise even if they wanted to.
    I think that's Aaron.

Slott's biggest success is on Spider-Man, but despite being a critical darling his Silver Surfer never sold that well and that's pretty much the only thing he's done in the last few years.

Aaron is someone Marvel puts on books they want to make successful like Dr. Strange, Thor, and presumably Avengers.

Not to mention he can, unlike Slott, carry on multiple books without delays or needing a co-writer. He was writing Strange and Thor around the same time at one point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Aaron is someone Marvel puts on books they want to make successful like Dr. Strange, Thor, and presumably Avengers.

Not to mention he can, unlike Slott, carry on multiple books without delays or needing a co-writer. He was writing Strange and Thor around the same time at one point.
    Don't forget the Star Wars books too. I think Aaron writes a couple of those in a month. He was been with the start of the DisMarvel Star Wars franchise from the beginning.

But no one could match the sheer monthly volume of books written like Bendis could. I will give him respect for that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Cullen Bunn, he's a fantastic writer!
    I'm going to be honest, Bunn has a lot of the same problems Aaron does. He is a bit better about continuity than most, but it's mostly with his own continuity. Plus, he seems to work best as an X-Men writer

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Isn't that what Bendis does? Aaron sounds perfect now.
    I read the first comment, and was about to answer the exact same thing Triniking answered!

I'm not sure Marvel should "push" anyone right now. I feel they're a bit at a crossroads, and we'll have a clearer view of where they want to head next in the following months.

I'd also say it depends on what they want as a company. Do they really want to replace Bendis, when it comes to his style or writing or the way he handles characters? He's been at this for 20 years, and while I agree he's been influential to how Marvel comic books have been produced since Disassembled, maybe Marvel wants now to pour in some "old school vibes" in a modern-day light in their media, in which case someone with a similar style as Bendis would definitely not work.

Guys like Waid, Duggan, Gage, or even Zub, could be great to incorporate a more "traditional" style (for lack of a better word) while still keeping a modern twist on things.