Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Default Who should take over Bendis's books?

There was a recent tweet from Brian Bendis that his books will be taken care of. Assuming we're not talking about mob style euphemisms, that suggests we need replacement writers for his books. So who would be a good fit? I'll list the books, but I only really have an idea for one right now:

Defenders - I heard someone else suggest David Walker for this and I agree completely. I think he'd be a great fit. While Bendis's writing feels more serious than Walker's, it also felt like Defenders was trying to fit in some quirky, off-beat humor into moments, which fits Walker's style perfectly. Plus, as a writer of both Luke Cage and Iron Fist, he has experience with the characters.

Invincible Iron Man - It feels like Bendis's run will end with a new status quo with Tony Stark (although, hopefully, with Riri there as well). I'll try and give some thought about this and come up with a suggestion. I think they can take it in any direction they want, so this doesn't need to be a direct continuation.

Jessica Jones - I would ideally like a female writer who can go into dark characters to write this. I wouldn't want someone whose instincts are to go light. So no Mark Waid or Dennis Hopeless, although both are incredibly talented. Maybe someone from the indie world could be convinced to give it a shot?

Spider-Man - Again, I'm not entirely sure. I think G. Willow Wilson would do a good job given that she knows how to write a socially conscious book about a teenage superhero figuring out his or her place in the world. That being said, she obviously has much more personal experience with the world of Ms. Marvel, so it would depend on how comfortable she would feel writing a character with a very different background. Also, whether she wants to get typecast or not.

Those are my tentative thoughts, what are yours?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Defenders - Charles Soule
    Invincible Iron Man - Nick Spencer?
    Jessica Jones - Warren Ellis
    Spider-man - David Walker
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

BANNED

Defenders - David Walker
    Invincible/Infamous Iron Man - Al Ewing
    Jessica Jones - David Walker
    Spider-Man - Al Ewing

Definitely agreed about Walker on Defenders, for the same reason Mike said, he knows Luke and Danny already from Power Man and Iron Fist and the current Luke Cage series.

I'm not convinced Jessica's book will continue at all.

Iron Man by Al Ewing? Well, I wouldn't complain about that. He'd definitely put his creation Toni Ho there, who being the daughter of Ho Yinsen - co-creator of the first Iron Man armour - who has done the same thing Riri did, making her own armour, she and Tony Stark definitely need to meet.

Walker expressed interest in doing Miles. The guy who wrote his recent prose novel is a possibility as well.

Defenders- Soule
    Jessica Jones- it should probably end tbh
    Iron Man- Been loving his Black Bolt so maybe Ahmed
    Miles- Walker

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Saladin Ahmed for Iron Man might be interesting. One name I thought might be interesting would be Geoffrey Thorne.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Niffleheim

Defenders - Soule
    Invincible Iron Man - Al Ewing
    Jessica Jones - Nick Spencer
    Spider-man - Gerry Duggan

Incredible Member

Defenders - Matthew Rosenberg
    Iron Man - Saladin Ahmed
    Jessica Jones - Nick Spencer
    Spider-man - Walker

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Iron Man - Al Ewing, 100%
    The Defenders - Warren Ellis

BANNED

Spider-Man- Christos Gage
    Defenders- David Walker
    Invincible Ironman- Matt Franction
    Jessica Jones- Kelly Thompson

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Defenders - David Walker, he can pretty much retool it into being a follow up to Heroes for Hire.

Invincible Iron Man - I might get racked over the coals for this, but Nick Spencer.

Jessica Jones - Kelly Thompson

Spider-Man - I've made a short list, but one other person that got mentioned in that thread that I really liked the sound of was Geoffrey Thorne. Do it for us Redjack!
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

With rumors of Guardians of the Galaxy being canceled, I would really love to see Gerry Duggan take over Defenders. Or Iron Man.

I maintain that Chelsea Cain would be ideal for Jessica Jones. Mockingbird was critically-praised, and Cain actually loves writing dark shit. She's also a close friend of Bendis, so there'd be something rather sweet about her taking over her friend's character.

David Walker has expressed interest in Miles. So sure, that'd be cool. He'd also do a killer Defenders.

Iron Man, I don't really care, if I'm honest. I would like to see a woman write it, because he's a Ladies Man, and it'd be interesting seeing that from a lady's perspective. But hey, we'll be getting that in Kelly Thompson's Rogue & Gambit mini. So Iron Man can go to whoever, I don't really care, very few writers would be enough to get me invested. (Actually, screw it: Kelly Thompson for Invincible Iron Man. That, I would read.)

And Marvel should really hire a black woman to write Ironheart. Mikki Kendall has expressed interest, and I'm pretty sure some others have, too. So yeah, let's do that, Mikki Kendall on an Ironheart solo.

Defenders - I could see Soule or Walker taking this book over pretty solidly, though losing Marquez will probably be a big hit. Definitely someone who's versed in writing street-level and street-level heroes.

Invincible Iron Man - Someone who's interested in writing Tony Stark and his supporting cast (and not people just thrown into the title since last year) I would hope.

Jessica Jones
    - I also think it would be nice to see a female writer on the title. I think Mariko Tamaki would be a better fit here then she was for She-Hulk.

Spider-Man - I've seen a lot of good suggestions for this book, but I'm also kind of leaning towards David Walker as well.

Defenders- David Walker

Iron Man- Al Ewing

Spider-Man- Christos Gage
    Last edited by KC; 11-09-2017 at 08:50 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman