Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Default Well, have they given...

Miles started out as an Ultimate Character, but now he's native to 616 through altered reality. And I thought that tax forms were complicated.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    Miles started out as an Ultimate Character, but now he's native to 616 through altered reality. And I thought that tax forms were complicated.
    Maybe the GOP in congress can pass a measure to simplify Miles' transition to 616 and origin.

spoilers:
    They can't.
    end of spoilers

I never liked that he was a 1610 transplant and would rather they just made him native to the 616. His origin isnt that hard to retell and I'd think the only elements that you'd need to change is Pete being dead. Granted because of the age difference between Peter and Miles you'd have to find another spider to bite him but you could bring in WebCorps and the spider totem etc.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I never liked that he was a 1610 transplant and would rather they just made him native to the 616. His origin isnt that hard to retell and I'd think the only elements that you'd need to change is Pete being dead. Granted because of the age difference between Peter and Miles you'd have to find another spider to bite him but you could bring in WebCorps and the spider totem etc.
    Either that, or claim he's one of the few Spider-Island infected whose cure didn't fully take and who still retained his spider-powers without the risk of mutating into a giant spider-monster.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Personally speaking I don't have a problem with his origin story so I'd vote no if there was a poll.

SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #1

Bryan Edward Hill (W)
    Nelson Blake II with Mark Bagley (A)
    cover by Kris Anka
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    STARRING MILES MORALES!
    Before he wore the webs, he was just Miles Morales: newly-minted Brooklyn Visions Academy student with hidden spider powers! When a Secret Invasion of Skrulls turns Manhattan upside down, Miles must choose: do his great powers come with great responsibility? A mysterious new chapter for Miles is unveiled by rising superstars Bryan Edward Hill (Detective Comics) and Nelson Blake II (Marvel New Year’s Eve Special)
    I wonder if this could mean than Miles origin will be rewritten as always been a native from the prime universe or will be just a misleading text.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I wonder if this could mean than Miles origin will be rewritten as always been a native from the prime universe or will be just a misleading text.
    Well, Hill has said on Twitter that it's not an "origin story," but I wouldn't be surprised if it's meant to be covering Miles' public debut in the 616 universe.

Although if he came out during Secret Invasion that does beg the question of what he's been doing since then, since it seems like he's only really become active around the ANAD era (though obviously that's also when he actually joined the 616 universe).

Incredible Member

616-Miles should have his origin reconned to take place during Spider-Island. Easy enough to say that the Anti-Venom cure somehow bonded Spider-DNA to him. Boom.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    616-Miles should have his origin reconned to take place during Spider-Island. Easy enough to say that the Anti-Venom cure somehow bonded Spider-DNA to him. Boom.
    Or just say the Queen or Jackal tried to recreate the original experiment that gave Peter his powers and that was the spider his Uncle Aaron stole. Keep everything about his origin the same except whose spider it was.

ETA: I don't really think his origin needs to be retconned, especially in the short term where Spidergeddon is about to happen (which appears to be a spider-verse type story), but I think the easiest way to do it is to just change the creator of the spider that bit Miles.
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 05-22-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Doesn't Miles know that he's an Ultimate refugee, though? (Also didn't realize that his series was re-starting so soon. Thought there was going to be a break after Bendis left to get the ducks in a row.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Doesn't Miles know that he's an Ultimate refugee, though? (Also didn't realize that his series was re-starting so soon. Thought there was going to be a break after Bendis left to get the ducks in a row.)
    It really depends on the writer/story.

Also remember, in the Generations issue, Miles goes to see a younger version of himself and Ganke back during the Master Planner arc. So it shows he has been retconned into always being in the universe, even though he supposedly still remembers.

The whole thing is just a mess, and I wish someone would just come clean and explain exactly, but I guess Marvel and/or Bendis never wanted to do it to keep the books more accessible.

From my perspective, what it seems like is that it is that Miles remembers everything that happened in the Ultimate Universe, but he still had lived a full life in 616, and either doesn't remember or only remembers bits and pieces. So this story is what pre-Universe Reboot Miles would've been doing during Secret Invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, Hill has said on Twitter that it's not an "origin story," but I wouldn't be surprised if it's meant to be covering Miles' public debut in the 616 universe.

Although if he came out during Secret Invasion that does beg the question of what he's been doing since then, since it seems like he's only really become active around the ANAD era (though obviously that's also when he actually joined the 616 universe).
    Yeah I’m more inclined to believe that this is the case and we’ll be reading Miles’ official public unveiling in the 616 post Secret Wars. As for the whole skrull thing, nothing’s stopping the writers from creating more than one secret invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Also remember, in the Generations issue, Miles goes to see a younger version of himself and Ganke back during the Master Planner arc. So it shows he has been retconned into always being in the universe, even though he supposedly still remembers.

The whole thing is just a mess, and I wish someone would just come clean and explain exactly, but I guess Marvel and/or Bendis never wanted to do it to keep the books more accessible.

From my perspective, what it seems like is that it is that Miles remembers everything that happened in the Ultimate Universe, but he still had lived a full life in 616, and either doesn't remember or only remembers bits and pieces. So this story is what pre-Universe Reboot Miles would've been doing during Secret Invasion.
    Miles and Wally West could probably relate (although Miles got his family back with his reboot, while Wally didn't)...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Miles and Wally West could probably relate (although Miles got his family back with his reboot, while Wally didn't)...
    Poor Wally, though I think both he and Miles could relate to being in the respective shadows of Barry Allen and Peter Parker. In fact, if you throw in Wally West II, he's not just in the shadow of Barry Allen, but also the original Wally West, and he and Miles could probably relate on account of the negative reception they got when they first debuted, albeit for different reasons, as Miles was at least his own character and not a "rebooted" Peter Parker like Wally II was supposed to be of Wally West before DC Rebirth amended that. Come to think of it, the Spider-Men and the Flashes have a lot in common, particularly the myth arc built around the true source of their powers, which both tie into metaphysical forces encompassing the Multiverse and spanning across time and space and reality itself despite originally being freak accidents rather than higher forces deliberately trying to empower them, as well as having evil counterparts with iconic "reversed" or "twisted" versions of their costumes. Then there's Barry and Wally both being in longstanding marriages/relationships that were quite beloved by fans until DC decided to split them up for no good reason with the Flashpoint/New 52 reboot, which should sound very familiar to us here in the Spider-Man forums.
    The spider is always on the hunt.