Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Does Miles Morales need a new origin?

Bendis soon will leave Marvel and most probably a new writer will come aboard the title. However many times the origins are retelling when a new writer comes aboard and that made me think how much complicated is Miles origin if you includes the other-universal-succesor-transplant aspect , specially if is implied than his family and friends and close circle are native from 616 and always has been. Even his primer pages recounted origin avoided all the other universe bussiness. And his motivation to be Spider-man is weakened if you explain he did it to replace a died Peter Parker, but with Peter Parker alive and if he never died, then why he became Spider-man? Then you have to explain before there was another universe where Peter Parker died and Miles come from that universe, but that universe died and then you have to explain Secret war and...

Well, it's messy.

Okay, you know about this because you read the comics, you now the story, you know comic tropes. But for a new reader or someone who knows the caracter of the movies, it is complicated. And is really difficult to adapt to another medium. There is talks about a Miles Morales animated movie. Are they going to spend time telling all the Secret War context or go with a story where Peter Parker dies? Most the time animated and media stories go with the most simple story and the alternate universe origin is really complicated to adapt.

Most of his history Miles has been under Bendis pen, so there has been a certain consistency in his development depiste the continuity mishaps, but he is leaving and his successor could have another plans and here continuity is needed when different people wrote the same characters. I'm not talking about a radical change, but from time to time the origin of the characters come into front to remembering us who they are or why they do what they do, as Peter remembering uncle Ben's death to remember his conviction and with Miles, his circunstances worked better in the Ultimate universe. But with the character residing permanently in the mainstream earth, his genesis is muddled. Okey he remembers his origin, but how it remember his mother or friends his origins?
    So which way? A retelling or just the Marvel way of sweep under the rug and wait to nobody ask again until later?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

The USM cartoon kept the AU origin, but simplified Spider-Gwen's by having her be Miles's successor after he got trapped in Peter's universe. But the new Spider-Man cartoon has him (and Gwen) in the same universe as Peter from the start - both Peter and Miles got their powers from Oscorp tech a few months apart, accidentally. It'll be interesting to see what the animated movie next year does with Miles's origin. If it's anything like the Disney XD show, then the comics would be likely to go the same route too.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

I think Miles needs a new origin in general. I like him a lot, but it’s a bit too close to Peter’s for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The USM cartoon kept the AU origin, but simplified Spider-Gwen's by having her be Miles's successor after he got trapped in Peter's universe. But the new Spider-Man cartoon has him (and Gwen) in the same universe as Peter from the start - both Peter and Miles got their powers from Oscorp tech a few months apart, accidentally. It'll be interesting to see what the animated movie next year does with Miles's origin. If it's anything like the Disney XD show, then the comics would be likely to go the same route too.
    So in the new animated show he is basically he-Silk? And Gwen...welll, Gwen has been part of Spider-Man universe since the first times.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

The opportunity to do so has already past. If he was going to get a rebooted origin, it should have been after Secret Wars, but that didn't happen. To try and reboot his origin hastily now would just be awkward.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    The opportunity to do so has already past. If he was going to get a rebooted origin, it should have been after Secret Wars, but that didn't happen. To try and reboot his origin hastily now would just be awkward.
    My innocent boy, there is always time for retelling an origin and retcon one or two details.
    Examples:

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    My innocent boy, there is always time for retelling an origin and retcon one or two details.
    Examples:

Learning to Crawl only added to Pete's already established backstory, it didn't change it.

BANNED

His origin story needs clarification, not replacement. He's been in 616 for a couple of years now, and the terms of his relationship to the UU still aren't crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    His origin story needs clarification, not replacement. He's been in 616 for a couple of years now, and the terms of his relationship to the UU still aren't crystal clear.
    Yeah, the most they've clarified everything is that he was bit by a spider and just started swinging around, which is how he started getting called Spider-Man, and then all the stuff with Aaron still happened.

He also still knows Bombshell.

I think it'll be a good opportunity for whoever gets the book post-Bendis to make their mark, especially with the way events have to occur in the regular Marvel Universe.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    So in the new animated show he is basically he-Silk? And Gwen...welll, Gwen has been part of Spider-Man universe since the first times.
    SPIDER-Gwen hasn't. And no, not really a he-Silk. Miles still got his powers later than Peter - whereas Cindy in the comics got hers at the same time. Gwen and Anya are yet to get their powers, but that must be happening soon as the first season is over half done. I expect them to get them the same way Peter and Miles did - an Oscorp spider.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I'll support the book with or without Bendis.

Thinking about it some more, one thing I could see thappening is some "Untold origin" mini series being released to coincide with the Animated Movie next year.

If they try to smooth over his 616 life by giving a new origin, fine.

But I like that he remembers his past world, and the idea that it slowly eats away at him, or is something he has to constantly deal with and keep inside. It's a fact of Miles that I'd like to see directly addressed. Kid's got a lot of baggage. I want to it come back and see him deal with it head on.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Thinking about it some more, one thing I could see thappening is some "Untold origin" mini series being released to coincide with the Animated Movie next year.
    I think they're going to try and release at least something major for Miles alongside his main comic by the time the animated movie comes out.