Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Preview: The Mighty Thor #701 with art by James Harren

Wow, so cool to see Harren drawing Thor!

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ghty-thor-701/

Me thinks War Thor is in big trouble.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Wow, so cool to see Harren drawing Thor!

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ghty-thor-701/

Me thinks War Thor is in big trouble.
    I'm actually worried that they'll use the issue to destroy Ultimate Mjolnir to show the power of Mangog and how he's a threat to Jane. But it sucks if they do, because i've always liked Ultimate Thor and was happy to see his hammer in the reg universe. Well we'll find out next week.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Aegis View Post
    I'm actually worried that they'll use the issue to destroy Ultimate Mjolnir to show the power of Mangog and how he's a threat to Jane. But it sucks if they do, because i've always liked Ultimate Thor and was happy to see his hammer in the reg universe. Well we'll find out next week.

That would make sense too since Marvel probably doesn't want too many Thor's running about.

That would make sense too since Marvel probably doesn't want too many Thor's running about.
    They already got 5 others running around anyway. They could easily resolve the issue by just giving Thor the Ultimate Mjounir like what it seemed like they were going for twice already before veering into this War Thor nonsense.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Looks great, Harren is a great choice. Aaron has landed another top artist.

I think we’ll definitely see a casualty or two now that the Ultimate Judgement has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Looks great, Harren is a great choice. Aaron has landed another top artist.

I think we’ll definitely see a casualty or two now that the Ultimate Judgement has arrived.
    Wasn't there a cover of Jane Foster Thor dying? Must be coming right?

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Wasn't there a cover of Jane Foster Thor dying? Must be coming right?
    There was. Jane is going to die for sure. Whether it is at the hands of Mangog or she succumbs to cancer, who knows. I’m not entirely convinced they won’t fake out on her death either, considering how popular she has become.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    There was. Jane is going to die for sure. Whether it is at the hands of Mangog or she succumbs to cancer, who knows. I’m not entirely convinced they won’t fake out on her death either, considering how popular she has become.
    I'd bet she's cured of her cancer in some big battle that kills Thor (her).

Incredible Member

If Jane dodges the bullet and doesn't die from cancer as serious as hers, then I'm calling bullshit and I'm really offended. I've had four people I know in the past year die from cancer. They were fathers, brothers, and husbands. They gave Jane cancer to show how vulnerable and strong a person can be with a terminal illness, but the thing she WON'T have in common with the others like my four old friends is, if they don't go through with it: she didn't die like they did.

Mighty Member

That solicitation contains a flat out lie. Mangog's race was imprisoned and shown mercy by Odin in spite of invading Asgard(after having conquered many other races) Urinating on past stories to tell your own is garbage writing.

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    If Jane dodges the bullet and doesn't die from cancer as serious as hers, then I'm calling bullshit and I'm really offended. I've had four people I know in the past year die from cancer. They were fathers, brothers, and husbands. They gave Jane cancer to show how vulnerable and strong a person can be with a terminal illness, but the thing she WON'T have in common with the others like my four old friends is, if they don't go through with it: she didn't die like they did.
    Lots of people get to the brink, and make a recovery, though.

Sorry for your loss. Stay strong.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Lots of people get to the brink, and make a recovery, though.

Sorry for your loss. Stay strong.
    They've been building that the cancer will kill her. If they want to do an ass pull and just say "we got magic" and handwave that we've been watching her die for two years, then that's just offensive.

Yeah, I think it would be offensive if they handwaved away the cancer at this point, too. I knew someone who died of cancer a few months back, he was more a friend of my dad's than of mine, but I still saw what he went through, and after a certain point, there was just no way back, and he and everyone else just had to accept that painful fact. And Jane is about at that point, from what they have shown. To offer up an easy cure here would just feel incredibly wrong.

Anyway, the preview looks good.

Making ultimatums about untold stories is always silly. Until a story is told we can't judge how well it was executed. I understand the impulse to state how cancer shouldn't be treated lightly, but we have seen no indication that it will be. Part of the reality of cancer is that some people refuse treatment, part of the reality is that some people change their outlook on life based upon their diagnosis, part of the reality is that it doesn't kill everyone. Let's wait and see what happens.

Sure we can speculate, I believe Jane will die and end up in Valhalla, but speculation is not an ultimatum. As soon as we start saying "if they do this I will be angry" we are literally loosing the plot. Storytelling is about making things that are not real seem real to the audience, and we can only judge how well that is achieved when we actually hear the story.

One sure way to spoil our enjoyment of a story is to prejudge what the storyteller is or isn't allowed to say.

Harran draws a fabulous Mangog. I only briefly look at previews because I like to read the issue as a whole, but this cartoonish style is so evocative of a character that isn't always portrayed well.