Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I recommend the original power pack series. It is about four siblings who get super powers. The characters are around the same age as your son.

I've recently told my eight year old son he can start reading my comics. I asked him what he'd like to start with (I have to admit, being a continuity buff, I gave him options of series that started in the 60s). He chose Spider-Man, and we are going to start from the beginning together (I have th Essentials reprinting the old stuff).

My son is a reader though, he's already finished reading the Harry Potter series on his own, if that makes a difference.

You can check out the archie marvel digest books at wal-marts check out line as well. Thor is this month and gotg is next month.

Another fun marvel books for kids.

https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Rich...on+of+a+genius

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

If you're willing to step out of Marvel super-heroes, "Amelia Rules," and "Phoebe and Her Unicorn." From a while ago, "Reed Geller".
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Am I the only one who thinks the regular superhero comics are (for the most part) kid friendly? I remember reading the Dark Phoenix Saga when I was 10. Obviously the medium has evolved (or devolved depending on who you ask).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the regular superhero comics are (for the most part) kid friendly? I remember reading the Dark Phoenix Saga when I was 10. Obviously the medium has evolved (or devolved depending on who you ask).
    Mainstream comics don't have especially inappropriate or mature stuff, but they are rather dated and the characters in those incarnations are unfamiliar and when you're trying to get a kid into something you go with the most accessible format possible. The elimination of thought bubbles has probably influenced this as now you you need experience with media and social interactions in order to understand character motivations when previously they would literally explain why and how they were doing something. Plus it's hard to convince them to read comics when they could just turn on the tv and see the same characters, without the convoluted mythology and the reading. I'm not judging as I only got really into comics very recently.

It is a sad state of affairs though when getting a child invested in a medium originally for children is seen as a difficult task. But that's the way it is now. I wonder, though, whether the children of current comic fans like this guy's son will grow up to be a significant market force.
    Last edited by Mackandal; 11-15-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Not really. A lot of the modern comics I follow seem to have more graphic violence, profanity, and edgy situations than some of the vintage material I collect -- which was far less likely to show blood or severed limbs, and I can't recall any of them using four-letter words.

Granted, there's always exception. "Kraven's Last Hunt," of course had dripping blood to make Kraven's suicide carry more weight. I was surprised to see Secret Wars showing Magneto and Wasp having a one-night stand, given that that comic was marketed for kids. Female superhero costumes have always tended to be more skimpy than their male counterparts' (although, ironically, now you're more likely to see them wearing more practical costumes than in years past).

I guess, like anything, it's always a case by case basis, but if I had kids, I would wait to borrow them any of the stuff I have until they were significantly older -- and I'm not into overly graphic or offensive stuff in the first place.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Older comics had the comics code and kids were the main draw. (all ads were for kids!) However they still got away with some things in those older issues like this--

[IMG][/IMG]

With that said most classic comics with the comic code were ok for kids. Stuff like punisher and man-thing maybe for older ones.

Stuff like star comics and planet terry were aimed only for kids. Dell comics Disney books are aimed for everyone of all ages.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 11-23-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackandal View Post
    Mainstream comics don't have especially inappropriate or mature stuff, but they are rather dated and the characters in those incarnations are unfamiliar and when you're trying to get a kid into something you go with the most accessible format possible. The elimination of thought bubbles has probably influenced this as now you you need experience with media and social interactions in order to understand character motivations when previously they would literally explain why and how they were doing something. Plus it's hard to convince them to read comics when they could just turn on the tv and see the same characters, without the convoluted mythology and the reading. I'm not judging as I only got really into comics very recently.

It is a sad state of affairs though when getting a child invested in a medium originally for children is seen as a difficult task. But that's the way it is now. I wonder, though, whether the children of current comic fans like this guy's son will grow up to be a significant market force.
    The eliminating of thought bubbles is an understated detriment to the medium, I think you're right. Third person narration allowed me as a young child to get into Thor, Batman, Superman, Cable, Wonder Woman and other characters because you either had Third or First Person narration playing a role in giving a younger reader a bedrock foundation for a running story. Although, I will say, artistic storytelling was pretty inventive and conveyed quite a bit of emotion and drama from the characters.

I don't have kids but I have a four year old niece who loves Wonder Woman. Honestly, once she begins reading consistently (she's already started. Sharp) I can't wait to introduce her to some classic Wonder Woman back issues. I think the genius of the comic medium is ongoing, continuous stories where any issue, IMO, is a jumping on point. That's how I remember getting hooked. Getting one issue, being excited as to what will happen next and then scouring the stores for what happened previously.