Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Well if she brings the church of Scientology down with her then good

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Latest update on the Allison Mack case. Papers were recently filed in Brooklyn, NY Federal Court. She faces a mandatory minimum of 15 years in prison if convicted.

Using the controversial Scientology case as a defense is pretty ballsy. The idea is yes, we used embarrassing photos and info to coerce people into various acts, but it doesn't rise to the level of "serious harm" that needs to be proven for forced labor cases. Sheesh. If that's her best defense, then I don't think she really has a leg to stand on in regard to the court of public opinion even if a jury buys it. I don't see anyone in Hollywood wanting to hire her or any Smallville fan wanting to see her in a future project -- assuming she walks away free and clear.

So, does this case and her legal team's defense gambit change your opinion of her or sully the enjoyment you had of the Smallville show?

From Deadline.com:

https://deadline.com/2018/12/smallvi...se-1202527179/

‘Smallville’ Star Allison Mack Cites Scientology As Defense In Federal Court Case

Lawyers for accused Nxivm sex-slave cult leader and former Smallville star Allison Mack are arguing that she isn’t guilty of inducing forced labor if the Church of Scientology isn’t guilty of the same charge.

In court papers filed yesterday in Brooklyn Federal Court, Mack’s lawyers argued that Mack’s threat to release naked photos and disparaging statements made by cult members against their relatives doesn’t rise to the threat of “serious harm” required to prove someone engaged in forced labor.

Mack and Nxivm leader Keith Raniere are accused of using the photos and statements to get free work and to force sex with Raniere.

“The government argues that Ms. Mack obtained forced labor through ‘threats of serious harm,’ with serious harm being the embarrassment that would result from the exposure of one’s collateral,” the court filing said. “Courts have found, however, that such an outcome, albeit embarrassing, does not amount to serious harm under the statute.”

The argument cites a 2009 case in which a couple unsuccessfully sued the Church of Scientology for forced labor.

“The court did not find that plaintiffs were compelled to remain in the organization even though, if they chose to leave, they would be ‘excommunicated’ from their friends and family and labeled a ‘dissenter,’” Mack’s lawyers said. “The threat of reputational damage and isolation from loved ones therefore did not qualify as serious harm.”

Mack has been out on a $5 million bond since her spring arrest on charges of sex trafficking, sex trafficking conspiracy and forced labor conspiracy. She was indicted along with Keith Raniere, the purported leader of a self-help program. Both face mandatory minimum sentences of 15 years to life in prison if convicted. (Read the indictment here.)

Here are the details of the wild case, as written by the Justice Department:

According to court filings, during the past 20 years, Raniere established a series of purported self-help programs within his umbrella organization “Nxivm” (pronounced NEX-i-um). Nxivm is based in Albany, New York and has operated centers in the United States, Mexico, Canada and South America. Nxivm maintains features of a pyramid scheme, as its courses cost thousands of dollars each and participants (“Nxians”) are encouraged to pay for additional classes and to recruit others to take classes in order to rise within the ranks of Nxivm. A number of Nxians were residents of the Eastern District of New York when they were recruited, and Nxivm has held promotional recruiting events in Brooklyn. Mack is credited in publicly available materials with co-creating a Nxivm program, called The Source, which recruited actors.

As detailed in court filings, in 2015, Raniere created a secret society within Nxivm called “DOS,” an acronym that stands for a Latin phrase that loosely translates to “Lord/Master of the Obedient Female Companions,” or “The Vow.” DOS operated with levels of women “slaves” headed by “masters.” Slaves were expected to recruit slaves of their own (thus becoming masters themselves), who in turn owed service not only to their own masters but also to masters above them in the DOS pyramid. Raniere stood alone at the top of the pyramid. Other than Raniere, all members of DOS were women. Mack is one of the women in the first level of the pyramid immediately below Raniere.

Mack and other DOS masters recruited DOS slaves by telling them that they were joining a women-only organization that would empower them and eradicate purported weaknesses that the Nxivm curriculum taught were common in women. Mack and other DOS masters concealed Raniere’s status at the top of the pyramid from new recruits.

As a pre-condition to joining DOS, women were required to provide “collateral,” which included highly damaging information about friends and family members, nude photographs and/or rights to the recruit’s assets. DOS slaves were told that their collateral could be released for any number of reasons, including telling anyone about DOS’s existence or leaving DOS. Many DOS slaves were branded on their pelvic areas using a cauterizing pen with a symbol which, unbeknownst to them, incorporated Raniere’s initials. During the branding ceremonies, slaves were required to be fully naked, and a master would order one slave to film the branding while the others restrained the slave being branded.

According to court filings, Mack directly or implicitly required her slaves, including Jane Does 1 and 2, as identified in the Indictment, to engage in sexual activity with Raniere. In exchange for this, Mack received financial and other benefits from Raniere. Jane Doe 1 and Jane Doe 2 believed that if they did not participate in those activities with Raniere, their collateral would be released.
    Umm no I still enjoy smallville.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Umm no I still enjoy smallville.
    It's not like she was in the sex cult while starring in Smallville.

fouxfour

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Always thought Kristin Kreuk was kind of hinky and if it's true she brought Allison Mack into the sex cult I am not surprised.
    You should read it she left years before any sex cult stuff started which was around 2015.... including recruitment. I think she only got in it because of a creepy bf who she thankfully dumped.

To answer the question I still love the show, she wasn't even the main character tho I did get uncomfortable when I see AM but it is new. I think she is completely ruined and trashed her life and career. She seems to have taken in by KR so easily I wonder why she was so susceptible. Cults only pick people that are easily manipulated. Sarah Edmondson at least had a wake up call and got out. Her ex speaks out here he says he was part of it too obviously not the future sex part of it but ... https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a...anadian-actors

Looks like it was the it thing to do so nothing substantial for many people...except for the few who went very deep and were then a sex cult was created and the people who were susceptible were asked to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Gee, always thought that the weirdo of the group was Welling with his disturbingly inexpressive bovine eyes but it seems that i was wrong.

Or was i? What did you do last night Tom?
    Nah he had plenty of expressions until the last season or two but being stuck with the Lois actress probably made him depressed lol I was binge watching online recently and the dude was truly under appreciated. Ppl still blame him wrongly for the suit but the reason he gave made sense...
    Last edited by fouxfour; 02-18-2019 at 07:31 PM.

https://screenrant.com/allison-mack-...eleased-early/

I guess it's time to let her out being her is already a punishment.

Ultimate Member

Here's a question for all. I'm not defending anything that she has said or done but if she wanted to does anyone think that she could act again and be accepted again by Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Here's a question for all. I'm not defending anything that she has said or done but if she wanted to does anyone think that she could act again and be accepted again by Hollywood.
    I guess she can always do some independent movies or something but she's done in Hollywood she wasn't a top star before this much less now she probably has no money left and she'll have to get a men wage job soon.

I don't know. There are plenty of other celebrities who've done time and made a comeback. Mike Tyson was convicted of rape, but they still cast him in that pivotal role in The Hangover. I think Allison Mack is just the right age now to play the mom in the next teen sitcom on Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I don't know. There are plenty of other celebrities who've done time and made a comeback. Mike Tyson was convicted of rape, but they still cast him in that pivotal role in The Hangover. I think Allison Mack is just the right age now to play the mom in the next teen sitcom on Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel.
    Mike Tyson is kind a different story though and from a different time no way in he'll will Disney Nickelodeon or WB ever give Mack work or anywhere around kids that's a PR nightmare you see what happened with Ezra Miller he was box office poison.

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

I think Allison Mack is just the right age now to play the mom in the next teen sitcom on Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel.
    I think it'll be a cold day in Hades before Allison Mack pops up on the Disney channel, or in some other family-oriented role.

C'mon. Kids have smart phones, and one Google search about the cast of their new favourite hit TV show is going to make for some really awkward conversations around the dinner table.
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

If she's appropriately apologetic, I can imagine her showing up as stunt casting in some streaming B-movies once in awhile. Not "Hollywood" per se, but someone would put her in something.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If she's appropriately apologetic, I can imagine her showing up as stunt casting in some streaming B-movies once in awhile. Not "Hollywood" per se, but someone would put her in something.
    Yeah, I can see that. She'd probably have to do a ton of public denouncing of Raniere/Nxivm and her past self, but if she's prepared for the long game, she could start small (streaming B-movies, maybe Hallmark, etc) and either stay very stuck there or move very slowly up.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-06-2023 at 08:20 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I guess a better question is, would she be welcome at a Smallville reunion?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I guess a better question is, would she be welcome at a Smallville reunion?
    Former-NXIVM member Kristin Kreuk might welcome her. (psst, that's how Allison got roped in!)

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebri...ivm-statement/
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Former-NXIVM member Kristin Kreuk might welcome her. (psst, that's how Allison got roped in!)
    It's been a few years since I watched the first season of "The Vow", but I remember it being the opposite.

That Allison introduced Kristin to the thing, and that Kristin was only involved with the cult, very tangentially, for a very brief amount of time (probably because she was smart enough to recognise what Keith Raniere was) and then got the hell out of there as soon as she could.
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.