Default I just discovered the Goon! Amazing!

There's tears in my eyes right now, just so damn good. I just bought the first 2 volumes and now I feel like I just discovered some long lost buried treasure. Absolutely loving the fun pulpy stories and the mind blowing art. The new Goon miniseries coming this summer made me check this out and now I'll have to pick up all the other volumes in the collection. I wish there was a nice dark horse library edition though.

I'm also checking out Eric Powell's other works and I'm going to have to get them all. Amazing stuff. Also can't wait for Big Trouble in Little China coming in June as well.

From old forum

Quote Originally Posted by dupont205
    Yeah it's a super fun comic.
    You may like Fear Agent based on what I've seen you express interest in so far, and it does come in a fancy Library Edition for a decent price. Awesome art. It's kind of a spoof of classic rocket ship comics, in the Venture Bros. tradition.

From old forum

Quote Originally Posted by Zevious Zoquis
    I'm a big Goon fan too. My tastes gravitate towards the "mythology" end of the Goon spectrum and not so much the silly Mad Magazine style stuff. I love the stories that center on Goon's war with the Zombie Priest, the Buzzard stuff, Chinatown - that sort of stuff. I'm not a big fan of the "sparkly Vampire" spoof stories and so forth. Oh, and I really enjoy the "period piece" Goon stories like the one about the football team. Having read Goon and hearing repeatedly that it was sort of similar to Hellboy in some ways I started reading HB and discovered that it really is even more to my liking - I've become a HUGE Mignola fan since and absolutely love Hellboy. I'd definitely recommend checking out Hellboy if you haven't already...

As far as other great pulpy stuff goes, I'd agree with the Fear Agent rec and I'd add Francavilla's Black Beetle and Mignola's Lobster Johnson.

Oh, and I'm also enjoying a couple of "pulpy" current series - Black Science and Afterlife With Archie...

Incredible that you mentioned Fear Agent. I just bought both the library editions of volume 1 and 2 of fear agent today. Haven't opened it up yet but I'm 100% certain that I will love it. I just love the pulpy scifi stuff like this, Starlight (image), Flash Gordon (dynamite) and Tony Moore's art is just amazing.

I checked out the fancy pants edition of the Goon and only volume 3 is still in print, volume 1 and 2 are out of print. Also the fancy pants edition don't reprint every issue of the goon. If I want the full series I have to buy all the trades which is a bummer because I'd rather have the nice library editions that dark horse puts out.

Thanks for the recommendations, they're always welcome. I feel like I'm discovering all these great comics now and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for recommending these. I've never heard of Francavilla's Black Beetle, just checked it out and loving what I see. I'll definitely be adding this and the HB/Lobster Johnston stuff to my required reading list. Afterlife Archie sounds good and has some good reviews here so I'll try to get the first couple issues and then add it to my pull list. I've tried Black Science and it really should be a comic that I love but I'm having a hard time getting into it after the first 2 issues. Might have to give it another try.

BANNED

I love Afterlife With Archie. It's impossible to get for me though, even when I add it to a pull list. Screwed over on every single issue so far, from two sources.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Goon is the funniest, most creative book going. The only other book that approaches these elements as well is Chew.

If you love Goon, read Billy the Kidd's Old Timey Oddities. That is great as well. Not to Goon's level but still really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grooodyssey View Post
    There's tears in my eyes right now, just so damn good. I just bought the first 2 volumes and now I feel like I just discovered some long lost buried treasure. Absolutely loving the fun pulpy stories and the mind blowing art. The new Goon miniseries coming this summer made me check this out and now I'll have to pick up all the other volumes in the collection. I wish there was a nice dark horse library edition though.

I'm also checking out Eric Powell's other works and I'm going to have to get them all. Amazing stuff. Also can't wait for Big Trouble in Little China coming in June as well.
    Love me some Goon. What is this mini series you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Grilled Cheese Samurai View Post
    Love me some Goon. What is this mini series you speak of?

In June there's a one shot called The Goon: One for the road. After that there's an 8 issue miniseries called The Goon: Occasion for Revenge. I'm so excited. Eric Powell is putting out the Goon in a bunch of miniseries from now on so that fans are not guessing when the next issue is coming out.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=51786

Also Eric Powell is doing another book from boom studios called Big Trouble in Little China with amazing art from Brian Churilla also in June. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=51228

Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 05-02-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Goon is the funniest, most creative book going. The only other book that approaches these elements as well is Chew.

If you love Goon, read Billy the Kidd's Old Timey Oddities. That is great as well. Not to Goon's level but still really good.
    Yeah I've been looking at some of Eric's other works and will definitely pick this up. There's something about Eric's work and humor that I absolutely get, it really resonates with me. I've become a huge fan now.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Yeah man The Goon is awesome. I loved the "superhero" issue. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard reading a comic before.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love

In June there's a one shot called The Goon: One for the road. After that there's an 8 issue miniseries called The Goon: Occasion for Revenge. I'm so excited. Eric Powell is putting out the Goon in a bunch of miniseries from now on so that fans are not guessing when the next issue is coming out.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=51786

Also Eric Powell is doing another book from boom studios called Big Trouble in Little China with amazing art from Brian Churilla also in June. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=51228
    This news just made my day!!

I wasn't aware. Apparently I am living under a rock!

Eric Powell is so talented. Yes, The Goon is great !

Most of what you've mentioned is Dark Horse. They have loads of good stuff. You might want to check out Dark Horse Presents, the best anthology ever, with a great variety of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Grilled Cheese Samurai View Post
    This news just made my day!!

I wasn't aware. Apparently I am living under a rock!
    Yes, it's the best news ever!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Goon, Goon,Goon!!!!
    So glad you've discovered him.