Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This movie doesn’t need to redefine the genre or be “the best reviewed superhero movie ever!” If its just considered “good” it will be a victory for WB. There is way too much riding on this movie for them to take major risks. Just make a fun movie with some fanboy moments thrown in for good measure. From the early reviews it sounds like that’s what they’ve done.
    Yeah, I think Justice League just needs to not suck. Wonder Woman did all the heavy lifting as far as changing the perception of DC movies. Justice League just needs to prove that WW wasn't a complete fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I think Justice League just needs to not suck. Wonder Woman did all the heavy lifting as far as changing the perception of DC movies. Justice League just needs to prove that WW wasn't a complete fluke.
    Pretty much. If it averages a “B” grade from critics and gets around a 70% Rotten Tomatoes it should be considered a success.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Isn't the suit designed that way to disperse the heat friction that Flash creates from moving so fast? That's what I read somewhere, at any rate.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Doesn't make it look any less hideous though.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

Review embargo is an automatic miss for me. If you're that ashamed of your movie I'm not wasting my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This movie doesn’t need to redefine the genre or be “the best reviewed superhero movie ever!” If its just considered “good” it will be a victory for WB. There is way too much riding on this movie for them to take major risks. Just make a fun movie with some fanboy moments thrown in for good measure. From the early reviews it sounds like that’s what they’ve done.
    I agree with you, but that's a pretty sad state of affairs. If this movie came out 10-15 years ago (and it was good), it definitely would redefine the genre. But the standards for Snyderverse movies have sunk so low that being good is the new benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Review embargo is an automatic miss for me. If you're that ashamed of your movie I'm not wasting my time.
    Not always. IIRC, the original Jurassic Park, Captain America: Civil War, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens had review embargoes so that glowing reviews would be released as close to the release date as possible in order to generate even more hype. I suppose studios have a fear that if a movie is reviewed 1-2 weeks ahead of the release, no matter how great it is, it would dilute anticipation. Part of the fun of movies is finding out on your own that a movie is good, right there in the theater.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    But the standards for Snyderverse movies have sunk so low that being good is the new benchmark.
    Yea, and that is the saddest state of affairs. And what peeves me will be, that for many, "good" will be defined simply by being "better" than the previous Snyderverse entries when it really might not be much "good" at all.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yea I always take social media reviews with a grain of salt. I HIGHLY suspect that a lot of the people that post positive reviews for blockbuster films on Twitter before the actual release are studio plants lol. Amazing Spider Man 2, Batman Vs Super Man, Suicide Squad, and other got praised on social media and then got trashed by critics.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Yea I always take social media reviews with a grain of salt. I HIGHLY suspect that a lot of the people that post positive reviews for blockbuster films on Twitter before the actual release are studio plants lol. Amazing Spider Man 2, Batman Vs Super Man, Suicide Squad, and other got praised on social media and then got trashed by critics.
    I always take all reviews with a grain of salt been burnd to meny times jurassic world is at 71 but bvs and SS suck give me a break.
    Last edited by choptop; 11-13-2017 at 04:38 PM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Nah. Review embargoes are pretty par for the course for big movies.

It's when they refuse to show them to the critics that you should be worried.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Nah. Review embargoes are pretty par for the course for big movies.

It's when they refuse to show them to the critics that you should be worried.
    This 100%. I first learned this a few decades ago with TV and Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories.

Although, personally I enjoyed the series and never understood why it was so severely panned. The reviews almost seemed retaliatory to me.

Retired

I finally got to JL at an IMAX preview screening yesterday--but before that, and for the last several days, I've been trying to avoid spoilers. I didn't even look on this thread for fear of any spoiler. What's a spoiler for me? Anything that reacts to the movie in any way. Even a smilie could be a spoiler for me. Because I didn't want my reaction to the movie influenced by any other reactions. Especially if those reactions come from people I already know online--because I know what those people feel about these movies, so any reaction is going to tip me off about the movie.

As it was, I couldn't go into the movie unspoiled, despite my best efforts. I couldn't avoid hearing some reaction or seeing some headline.

And that makes me feel like I wish there was an embargo until the date the movie comes out for the general public. Now I see all these long threads on CBR where people who were privileged to see the movie early have gone on at length in discussing the movie. And I can't jump into those conversations, without reading pages and pages of posts.

Even many of the trailers undermined my enjoyment of the movie. Not that much, but having that foreknowledge got in the way of some scenes. In the future, I think I will avoid trailers for movies I intend to watch.

I kinda wish we could all start talking about this movie--or any movie--at the same launch date. I know that's not PC--and it goes against what I actually believe. But I do think, with all the technology and the social media apps, there's probably a way to come close to that. It's probably possible to construct a social media environment tailored to the needs fo the user. So for me everything would begin at a date I choose. And someone else would have their own date.