Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What would happen if Bendis was put in a Geoff Johns like position at DC?

Many people have speculated that one of the main factors that lead to Bendis's desire to go to DC is to become Chief Creative Officer at the company, a position held by Geoff Johns, but because of Johns's commitments to the DC films division, he is rumored to be backing away from comics.
    ( https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10...n-warner-bros/ )

So what do you think DC would look like if Bendis had strong creative control?

Astonishing Member

Ahem the CCO position Johns has actually is more involved with the media tie-ins such as the cartoons, video games, tv shows and also movies. His remit doesn't actually cover comics. He was just involved in Rebirth and Nu52 because of position as DC's star writer and not because of his CCO position.

If the most recent BC article is true, then Bendis was brought in to disrupt Johns involvement in the comics aspect of DC and the various books involved in Rebirth despite appearing to have no actual position in DC editorial. Another theory is that Johns brought him in (using his influence with the movies) to gain favor with editorial. But it's all rather confusing given how the article writers don't seem to have a good grasp of the internal politics/people at DC.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 11-09-2017 at 06:59 PM.

I think Bendis should have some tenure at DC first. Johns worked for DC for about a decade before he started climbing up the food chain. You can't bring in someone, even a name like BMB and just hand him a position like that. If the BC articles are to be believed, Bendis would already be given a lot of freedom, which is understandable, but don't give him too much pull just yet. Let's see what he gets to do in this company first.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think Bendis should have some tenure at DC first. Johns worked for DC for about a decade before he started climbing up the food chain. You can't bring in someone, even a name like BMB and just hand him a position like that. If the BC articles are to be believed, Bendis would already be given a lot of freedom, which is understandable, but don't give him too much pull just yet. Let's see what he gets to do in this company first.
    Yeah, I really don't want them putting Bendis in such a major position before he's even written his first DC book yet.

I'd finally go full Boom! Studios and never touch the Big 2 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I really don't want them putting Bendis in such a major position before he's even written his first DC book yet.
    I mean, I'm not saying Bendis doesn't deserve to be in a position like that, but it just doesn't feel right just yet. I saw another BC article claiming their "sources" told them Bendis was Johns' "worst nightmare" or whatever. lol These guys just love to start **** any chance they get.

I mean, I'm not saying Bendis doesn't deserve to be in a position like that, but it just doesn't feel right just yet. I saw another BC article claiming their "sources" told them Bendis was Johns' "worst nightmare" or whatever. lol These guys just love to start **** any chance they get.
    Geoff and Bendis seem very eager to work with each other. BC is awful tbh

My experience with Bendis at Marvel makes me think he's not cut-out for a chief creative officer's position, at least compared to Johns.

But I'm willing to see what he's like at DC before I pass any serious judgements.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Geoff and Bendis seem very eager to work with each other. BC is awful tbh
    Well, they're at least useful for leaks and certain behinds the scenes information sometimes .

I'm not the biggest fan of Bendis. I like few of their works (mostly Powers, he could return to them in Vertigo,considering than Michael Avon Oeming is working close to DC in Young Animal too), but I admit even if his narration is not my cup of tea, he is a good man of ideas, ok not always good idas, but different ideas and that could mean he can offer a different perspective of certain concepts.
    I must add than all this seen under a very optimist perspective.
    But think about this: we like the work of Geoff johns and we trust Geoff Johns. And if it was Geoff Johns the one who convinced Bendis to join DC, we should trust his judgment.
    I hope.
    If everything goes to hell, we can put Geoff and Bendis a lot of dislikes in any post DC related later.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Ahem the CCO position Johns has actually is more involved with the media tie-ins such as the cartoons, video games, tv shows and also movies. His remit doesn't actually cover comics. He was just involved in Rebirth and Nu52 because of position as DC's star writer and not because of his CCO position.

If the most recent BC article is true, then Bendis was brought in to disrupt Johns involvement in the comics aspect of DC and the various books involved in Rebirth despite appearing to have no actual position in DC editorial. Another theory is that Johns brought him in (using his influence with the movies) to gain favor with editorial. But it's all rather confusing given how the article writers don't seem to have a good grasp of the internal politics/people at DC.
    Maybe not Geoff Johns's exact position, but just creative power over the DC Universe in general.

I wouldn't be surprised.
    There's no telling what was offered to Bendis to get him to leave Marvel.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised.
    There's no telling what was offered to Bendis to get him to leave Marvel.
    Seems that marvel never wanted his participation in the films, but DC wants him even here.. get a raise..

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...vel-dc-comics/

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-10-2017 at 01:59 PM.