Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Blue Snow too common ?

Even with good writing what would make her stand on her own as a ice villain with a suit?

I just see her as a simple gun for hire/bank robber who wants to add value to her father's reputation/legacy

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Even with good writing what would make her stand on her own as a ice villain with a suit?
    Give her more of a cyber/robot angle. I thought her appearance in Power Girl 7 was well done (until she got jobbed of course). I would just use that version of the character.

Can we make her more interesting ? I mean she has a suit that is capable Of making snow and freezing things and people. What made the character well done ?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

The thing that truly makes a great villain is motivation. Redundant powers or concepts are often given a pass if the character is interesting.

The Joker is terrifying because his motivation is basically "All life is just a joke that only I understand." There could be a dozen evil clown characters in the comic book world, but as long as Joker is the sole possessor of that motivation, he'll always stand out among them.

Lex Luthor's motivation is sheer hubris: the desire to prove himself (a mere mortal man) superior to a god. The fact that he also wraps that motivation up in a self-made delusion that he is actually doing humanity a favor by trying to rid the world of it's protector also makes him interesting. There are other "evil businessmen" in comics. There is only ONE Lex Luthor, however.

Flash's Rogues are interesting because they are common, blue collar criminals who live by a code that makes them almost respectable. Their motivation is "profit," like many other villains of their type, but it's their code and their sense of loyalty to each other that makes them unique.

For Blue Snowman? Hard to say. She's appeared so little that she is basically a blank slate. If a writer felt inclined to use her, he or she could do almost anything with her.

Diana's best stories, in my mind, are the ones in which she sympathizes with whoever it is that she's fighting. So, I'd go with a sympathetic motivation for her. Maybe something happened to her that caused her shut down emotionally. Her heart literally "froze." Maybe she's a nihilist who wants the world to be as cold as her heart. Maybe she opposes Diana's loving nature by wanting to bring ruination to loving relationships. As Diana learns her backstory, she can't help but sympathize with her, but at the same time she can't let her get away with her crimes either. Diana defeats her, but she definitely doesn't feel like celebrating when she does it.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

We have Mr. Freeze (gun+suit), we have Captain Cold (gun) and we have Killer Frost (elemental)... I'm pretty certain DC is covered when it comes to cold-themed villains.

Plus if you really have to bring this one back... then she should have another name, 'Blue Snowman' just sounds like something from the bottom end of Batman's gallery.

Well the whole thing about her name is not to guess her gender is probably overdone trope but what should her name be?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    We have Mr. Freeze (gun+suit), we have Captain Cold (gun) and we have Killer Frost (elemental)... I'm pretty certain DC is covered when it comes to cold-themed villains.

Plus if you really have to bring this one back... then she should have another name, 'Blue Snowman' just sounds like something from the bottom end of Batman's gallery.
    But shouldn't some of her lost villains be brought back even if it's not for long?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    . . . if you really have to bring this one back... then she should have another name, 'Blue Snowman' just sounds like something from the bottom end of Batman's gallery.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Well the whole thing about her name is not to guess her gender is probably overdone trope but what should her name be?
    Would "Yellow Snowman" sound more threatening?