Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How're You Enjoying Geoff Johns as DC's Chief Creative Officer?

So I've been fairly critical of Johns the last few years. Seriously, I hate how "Comic Book Guy" I sound when talking about him. I used the love the guy, I just feel like he jumped the shark after Sinestro Corps War (with Aquaman being an exception). But I gotta say, I was thinking about it today and since he took control of DC's creative direction a lot of good stuff has happened. I dont know how much credit he deserves for DC's recent wins, because I have no idea how things have been put together behind those doors, but I feel like many of the changes have his fingerprints on them to one degree or another.

Overall, Rebirth has been a huge success. Fans seem largely happy, market-share is solid (far as I know), reviews are largely positive. Not overwhelmingly of course, the DCU isn't perfect, but most everyone seems happier than they've been in a while. I even feel like the whole Watchmen/Rebirth subplots have been better received than usual.

He made nice with Tony Isabella, getting the guy back to write a new mini with DC's original PoC hero. That's good press. And good timing, given the tv show coming soon.

And rumor is Waid might be coming back too.

Young Animal is publishing some of the industry's best comics you're not reading. These books were always gonna be regulated to "cult classic" status.....and that's okay. I dare anyone to tell me Mister Miracle isn't one of the best things going.

They're about to launch a new line featuring a bunch of new, diverse characters. And I like that they're swinging big on this, with strong creator rights. It's a risk, but it's a good looking one.

Milestone is a thing again. Probably. I mean, we did get that update last month.

Hanna Barbara (is that how its spelled?) is doing a few things that people seem to really love. Flintstones. Who knew?

The television side of things is doing well. Wonder Woman did really, really well, though the movies are the weakest point for DC right now. That part really sucks since movies generate more revenue than all the rest of it combined.

And he just nabbed the biggest writer at Marvel. Whether you hate him or loathe him, stealing Bendis is a big move. And rumor is, Hickman and/or a few other Marvel hitters are coming over too. And Marvel's response? Announcing Lockjaw. Seriously, what Twilight Zone weirdness is this?

What're you guys thinking of Johns as CCO (or whatever title it is he's got)? Cause I gotta say, given what I know (and what I think I know), this guy is actually (perhaps surprisingly, for our more jaded posters) doing alright.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-09-2017 at 10:19 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.