Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

They've kept this dude around for so long despite catching so much hell for it, they're pretty much going to have to clean house at the company before he gets thrown out. Feels like something unusual is keeping him where he is.
    Last edited by The World; 11-10-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This does put DC in an awkward spot legally. He was reprimanded for his actions, and received a temporary demotion while he was undergoing therapy. Whether or not that was sufficient is certainly debatable, but the fact remains that Berganza appears to have behaved appropriately since then.

If that is indeed the case, DC can't suddenly fire him now without cause. If they do let him go simply because his bad behavior is finally becoming known outside the comics industry, Berganza could rightfully sue DC for wrongful termination because he took the punishment DC's higher-ups imposed at the time and has behaved himself since then.

You've really got to feel sympathy for poor Diane Nelson & Geoff Johns. They are constantly being forced to deal with the screw-ups of the previous management, which neither of them had anything to do with.

BANNED

If he's really reformed and remorseful for his actions, then besides apologizing to everyone he harassed and assaulted, he should voluntarily step down.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    You've really got to feel sympathy for poor Diane Nelson & Geoff Johns. They are constantly being forced to deal with the screw-ups of the previous management, which neither of them had anything to do with.
    Geoff Johns was/is friends with this guy.

They could probably just transfer him into one of the other departments DC has control over like what happened to the Great Carlini instead of letting this fester.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 11-10-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Thanks, credit goes to Roxane Gay.
    You're welcome.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

My thanks to the mod that changed the thread title.

Fantastic Member

Get rid of Bergenza. He sounds like an awful guy.
    Put someone new and ambitious on Superman line.
    Make Superman books interesting again but keep the soul.

This is f*cking sick. And a joke he still has his job and that for all these years the onus has been on the women to just "stay away from him". And I'm sorry, but trying to force a tongue-kiss on unsuspecting women is not "an error in judgment". Partying too late and missing a work deadline is an error in judgment. This is criminal. But way to attempt to use soulless language to mask the abhorrent violation out of his actions.

Aside from comic stuff, that's a far, far second to just the fact that this is unacceptable behavior for any adult man and needs to be stopped.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-10-2017 at 07:16 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

If he's really reformed and remorseful for his actions, then besides apologizing to everyone he harassed and assaulted, he should voluntarily step down.
    If he was going to voluntarily step down, he would have been more likely to do so before he did all the things DC told him he had to do to continue being employed by DC.

And again, let me repeat: this ain't new when it comes to E.B.

BANNED

On Eddie Berganza and the Misperceptions of Wrongful Dismissal

Since it has now become public knowledge that Buzzfeed will be reporting on the Eddie Berganza situation at DC Comics, and thus might very well cause DC to finally take firm action on Berganza or at least inspire more people to demand action, it feels necessary to discuss one of the most frequently asked questions about Berganza: why couldn’t DC just fire him? It’s actually a pretty easy question to answer: there is no reason why they couldn’t. But over the past five years that Berganza’s behavior has been whispered about in the comics industry, people have nonetheless been convinced that something prohibited DC from firing Eddie Berganza, namely the concept of “wrongful dismissal,” or the idea that it would be legally wrong for DC to fire an employee they had already allegedly officially disciplined.
    http://loser-city.com/features/on-ed...ampaign=buffer

BANNED

Creators are openly acknowledging the story and some are speaking out.

robertliefeld
    @robertliefeld
    This is despicable. How has he been allowed to remain at DC Comics?
    Tony Isabella‏
    @thetonyisabella
    I think this requires more than a no comment from DC Comics:
    Joshua Hale Fialkov
    @JoshFialkov
    So proud of my pals for standing up about Berganza being what he is. A piece of human garbage
    Kate Leth
    @kateleth
    The question here is: will DC, for the first time, actually do something about this?

No man accused of harassment in comics has stopped getting work. A lot of women harassed have left the industry entirely

It’s not just Berganza and it’s not just DC. But we are made to understand that speaking up is career suicide.

I can’t forget the first time I visited the DC offices, where a man I’ve seen champion women in comics made me shake Berganza’s hand
    Kieron Gillen Retweeted

(((Jay Edidin)))‏
    @RaeBeta
    5h5 hours ago
    More
    Really proud to have worked with @jtes and @tylerkingkade - and a lot of brave, awesome comics pros - to unpack decades of harassment allegations at DC.
    Jamie McKelvie Retweeted

(((Jay Edidin)))‏
    @RaeBeta
    5h5 hours ago
    More
    Really proud to have worked with @jtes and @tylerkingkade - and a lot of brave, awesome comics pros - to unpack decades of harassment allegations at DC.
    Robert Wilson IV Retweeted

Christopher Sebela‏Verified account
    @xtop
    4h4 hours ago
    More
    This isn't a fun time, but it's necessary reading. We can't just shrug **** like this off.
    A M Y C H U‏
    @AmyChu
    Replying to @timhanley01
    he wasn't even supposed to be my editor. They transferred the book to him after I signed on and nobody bothered to tell me :-(
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 11-10-2017 at 11:26 PM.

He needs to be ousted ASAP.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

This is not acceptable. Are there no laws against this? Does this article mean a change or is it more of the same. If it is the same its sick. Its wrong at so many levels.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-11-2017 at 05:35 AM.

Again, is this really "news"?

Still sounds like OLD accusations that have been discussed here and elsewhere before.

DC had the opportunity to deal with this in the past and chose to do so in a manner that did not result in his firing at that time. That ship may have sailed if there are not more recent instances (not just reports) that can be documented as having occurred AFTER DC already took action in the past.
    See:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    previous post

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's a thing so easily overlooked: if DC did what they wanted about it, but still did something, then to attack him after this flare up in viral media is tricky. What can they do? In any case, one day since the flare up is too soon for anything to spring into a reasonable course of action.

That's probably too high of an expectation. I can't name anyone who would voluntarily destroy their own livelihood over something deemed "not that bad" by people who employ them. Whatever "respect" he'd get for doing such a thing would not land him a job with that sort of reputation as his legacy. 25 years in one company, that's not a logical thing for someone to risk. In the samurai days of Japan definitely but not really now.