Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Geeze. And I thought Guggie was a terrible writer because he brought back Mojo.

In other news, Al Franken accused of forcibly kissing, groping Leeann Tweeden back in his acting days.

BANNED

its all a mess

well, at least the stories about Louie CK actually generated some action

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...of-sexual-har/

John Singleton and Jesse Jackson have been accused of sexual harrastment

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Though it should never have happened, at least Franken apologized and said he supports an ethics investigation upon himself as the best course of action. It's shitty, but you don't really hear that from the accused at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...of-sexual-har/

John Singleton and Jesse Jackson have been accused of sexual harrastment
    Oh, John Singleton. That's so goddamn disappointing.

Not surprised about Jesse Jackson, though. Those stories have been circulating for decades. But hopefully something comes out of this, this time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: guys saying, "Geeze, I wonder who else is a sexual predator?" in reaction to the daily news need to realize that women of all walks of western life have been asking that question for centuries now in their every day lives, from wealthy A-list actresses to humble burger flippers. And realizing that is part of the process for society to change things for the better.
    Last edited by Cyke; 11-17-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Miss Piggy or Kermit the Frog came forward and filed sexual harassment charges against former producers of the Muppet Show.

What upsets me is how readily a lot of people will (and some are even already doing it) act like the accusations are a "witch hunt" and "out of control."

They're really not. One in five women are sexually assaulted while in college. That's still a conservative estimate. It doesn't take into account women refusing to admit it happened to them out of personal feelings of shame, or feeling guilty about "ruining a guy's life" if they come forward, or expecting the justice system will fail them and leave them with a "reputation" and no justice after tons and tons of grating legal and police matters that practically treat them like they're the ones on trial ("Oh, you wore that, you had sex before, you got drunk, you said yes earlier, he's your husband," list goes on). Right now, this second, victims of Roy Moore and people who have helped those victims are receiving harassment and death threats from people who want to "silence" and "punish" them for speaking up.

And yet with all of that in mind, it's estimated one in five women are sexually assaulted while in college. 20% of the female college population is assaulted in a 4-5 year span. Conservative estimate.

Nothing has changed about the prevalence of sexual assault and harassment. The only thing that's changed is how people respond to women who come forward. They're actually being taken more seriously now, and criminals are facing some actual consequences. If this looks like an epidemic of criminal behavior, well, the epidemic's been there for a long time. It's just that we're now acknowledging the epidemic is happening and treating it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Incredible Member

Colbert brought up Aflek’s accusations when he was there to promote JL

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The prevalence of sexual assault and harassment, however, doesn't mean that everyone who's accused of it is guilty of it. It's just as easy to make a false accusation as a true one. My fear of a "witch hunt" isn't the fear that there are no "witches," just that people aren't really caring who burns on the pyre as long as somebody does.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The prevalence of sexual assault and harassment, however, doesn't mean that everyone who's accused of it is guilty of it. It's just as easy to make a false accusation as a true one. My fear of a "witch hunt" isn't the fear that there are no "witches," just that people aren't really caring who burns on the pyre as long as somebody does.
    and make a false accusation to become a pariah, to get death threats, to be thrown under a microscope

yeah, women are out there trumping up accusations lining up for that treatment

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    and make a false accusation to become a pariah, to get death threats, to be thrown under a microscope

yeah, women are out there trumping up accusations lining up for that treatment
    Again this presumes that false accusations never happen, which they do.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Again this presumes that false accusations never happen, which they do.
    and the only time I see this line of thinking is from mediocre ass men who want to make the situation all about them

Extraordinary Member

and the only time I see this line of thinking is from mediocre ass men who want to make the situation all about them
    Or you are setting up a strawman. The reality is there is a middle ground between not calling victims liars and assuming guilt because you want to be sensitive to the victim. It's not an all or nothing scenario.

And again unless you are going to come out and say false accusation don't happen (which would demonstrably wrong) like you tried to imply in your previous post, then there is a middle ground that should be taken between dismissing the victim and assuming guilt.

Okay, you're right. False accusations never happen. Far be it from me to be a Mediocre Ass Man.

It feels good to see people punished for wrongdoing. Only slightly moreso if they happen to actually be guilty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    The prevalence of sexual assault and harassment, however, doesn't mean that everyone who's accused of it is guilty of it. It's just as easy to make a false accusation as a true one.
    Not so easy, though, to make a credible accusation, and if it's not credible it's not going to go very far. Personally, I think that it's been so incredibly difficult to make a true accusation (and continues to be) that I find it difficult to be very patient with the argument about how easy it is to make a false one.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Not so easy, though, to make a credible accusation, and if it's not credible it's not going to go very far. Personally, I think that it's been so incredibly difficult to make a true accusation (and continues to be) that I find it difficult to be very patient with the argument about how easy it is to make a false one.
    I don't see very much attention being paid to the question of credibility. I just see the accusation being reported and the public going "there's another one."

Celebrities interact with a huge number of people, so it's pretty hard to judge how an accusation would or would not be credible.

In some cases (Spacey, Moore, Weinstein) the number of independent accusations is so high that only a conspiracy theorist would think it was false. In others (Franken) there is actual physical evidence. But in others it's an accuser's word against the accused's word. It's unjust if a true accuser is not believed for lack of being able to produce evidence. It's also unjust if an innocent accused has his career ruined because of a baseless accusation.

All I want is for people to be mindful of that. Mob "justice" is no more just today than it was in the days of lynch mobs.