Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Not sure who Tambor is but Charlie Rose doesn't hurt at all he is a 75 year old guy not in touch with the times. Things change.
    Jeffrey Tambor - was in Larry Sanders Show, Arrested Development, Transparnet (on Amazon Prime)

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Man! When I started this thread, I had no idea it would blow up like it has. If reports were to surface that Fred Rogers was a pervert, then my already tenuous faith in humanity will be officially destroyed.
    That would put me into suicide territory. Who would want to live in a world where there are literally no good people?

People can only take so much bad news, and maintain outrage for so long, before it all starts to dull. We will get to a point where the daily raft of individual accusations just makes people shrug.

Hopefully, though, the lasting trauma will be enough that famous men will, out of sheer self preservation, think twice and thrice before grabbing that thigh or sending that dick pic.

The worst outcome would be that a general sense of "if everybody's guilty, then nobody is" sets in.

BANNED

Humans are trash

there will always be those that take advantage of others because they think the rules don't apply to them

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    Humans are trash

there will always be those that take advantage of others because they think the rules don't apply to them
    Even worse are the people who blindly supports such cretins, which is how Donald Trump rose to power and became president, and how a known predator like Roy Moore is one step away from Congress. Damned frustrating.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

In the interest of impartiality, shouldn't there be a thread devoted to anti-gay or family values politicians caught screwing around or being exactly what they condemn? It is just as frequent.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Even worse are the people who blindly supports such cretins, which is how Donald Trump rose to power and became president, and how a known predator like Roy Moore is one step away from Congress. Damned frustrating.
    A bad effect of all this is that Moore's election is now pretty much guaranteed. All those voters who wanted to vote Republican, but didn't think they could vote for Moore can now say, "See, everybody does it... look at Franken and Conyers and all those Democrats."

BANNED

because the larger mindset of those cretins are that assault and harassment only happen to women who are "asking for it"

Simplest experiment for men: do an informal poll of every woman you personally know. Family, co-workers, classmates, neighbors, online friends. Ask how many have been sexually harassed/catcalled/belittled in their lives. If you're braver, ask how many experienced sexual assault, getting trapped, or worse yet, rape. The sheer number will be surprising and frightening, and to the point where you feel both angry and sad for just one hand raised, nevermind how many more follow that hand.

But if that's in your circle, multiply that number of women by the number of men you know in other circles of your life, because we all have our own circles, too. And then imagine the various industries that require placing a great deal of trust and confidentiality in men in power in order to do those jobs. The number then becomes staggering.

I've seen my mom and my sister harassed right in front of my eyes as a little boy. I've been in the presence of cousins who were catcalled right then and there. My classmates in undergrad always felt hopelessness and despair whenever they were attacked in their dorms and at parties. Some of my best friends currently -- many of whom are in improv and comedy circles -- are relating tons of stories about men in the industry who've assaulted them in one way or another. My very own lonely grandmother was nearly tricked and assaulted by a man 40 years her junior in an effort to try to get her savings.

That's why this topic is taken so seriously whenever someone speaks up about it. Because it is so goddamn commonplace and doesn't know where to stop. There is no room to start with skepticism from the getgo, to start from a place of disbelieving accusers the instant they open their mouths. Hell, Louis C.K. was one of the biggest male feminists on stage, and he tried to shut it down before he was exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by rogersmcfeely View Post
    Man, you know I'm dreading the day I click on the news and find out that Paul or Ringo sexually assaulted somebody.
    John Lennon did, repeatedly, and he was pretty shitty to the romantic women in his life, especially the mothers of his children.

But, statistically speaking, that already covers the Beatles. Which is already a huge proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    In the interest of impartiality, shouldn't there be a thread devoted to anti-gay or family values politicians caught screwing around or being exactly what they condemn? It is just as frequent.
    Tbh, if Roy Moore can be in this thread, then those politicians can be as well. Al Franken is likely fair game (and has already been brought up) because he started as an entertainer first, and indeed that the first public accusations are based on his time before he entered politics. But if the focus is on Hollywood celebrities and power players (because this is the TV/Film board), such a topic is probably more fitting in the General board.
    Last edited by Cyke; 11-21-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Tambor is an ass. This doesn't surprise me at all. He's been a piece of trash for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by rogersmcfeely View Post
    Man, you know I'm dreading the day I click on the news and find out that Paul or Ringo sexually assaulted somebody.
    I don't think they'd need to.

Well, consent to someone like Paul McCartney doesn't mean he couldn't still abuse you by using his fame as power over you.

Aw, fuck, not John Lasseter, too.

We're well in the territory of guys who are known for adding so much good in the world and then squander it all with sexual misconduct. Louis CK, Al Franken, Charlie Rose, George Takei, now John Lasseter, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Aw, fuck, not John Lasseter, too.

We're well in the territory of guys who are known for adding so much good in the world and then squander it all with sexual misconduct. Louis CK, Al Franken, Charlie Rose, George Takei, now John Lasseter, among others.
    I'm honestly at a point where I'm just hoping that this leads to a more honest and open society where men, no matter how powerful in their position or public image, can't get away with this stuff anymore so that in the future we don't have to see good people turn out to be predators or perverts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm honestly at a point where I'm just hoping that this leads to a more honest and open society where men, no matter how powerful in their position or public image, can't get away with this stuff anymore so that in the future we don't have to see good people turn out to be predators or perverts.
    conversely, people could just become desensitized to the allegations/reveals of sexual misconduct. when everyone is guilty, no one is guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Indeed. The whole problem isn't just that it's being done, but that they aren't held accountable to it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    conversely, people could just become desensitized to the allegations/reveals of sexual misconduct. when everyone is guilty, no one is guilty.
    Nah. It's only desensitized to those it doesn't happen to. But there are just so many cases (famous or not), with so many people in support of the victims, that desensitization isn't going to be widespread to the point that it gets swept away again. If someone's sister, or mom, or significant other, or best friend gets assaulted, it's not just that person affected, but their community as well. Check back in 10 years and you'll likely see more progress, the way 10 years ago how Bill Cosby would be protected but now his reputation is unsalvageable.

If "everyone" is guilty, the trick then is to stop the culture that encourages that guilt in the first place. When there's a reckoning, then we can begin to see major, major changes. We have to stop the habit of holding victims accountable (and thus blaming them for their own attacks) as a first resort gut reaction, and hold the attackers accountable instead to the fullest extent of the law. And that transcends politics -- the very first victims of a conservative politician's sexual assaults are conservatives themselves, after all. And I'm so sure that conservatives, liberals, etc. would want to see justice done for a heinous crime committed upon a constituent.
    Last edited by Cyke; 11-21-2017 at 04:20 PM.