Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Indeed. The whole problem isn't just that it's being done, but that they aren't held accountable to it, either.

Nah. It's only desensitized to those it doesn't happen to. But there are just so many cases (famous or not), with so many people in support of the victims, that desensitization isn't going to be widespread to the point that it gets swept away again. If someone's sister, or mom, or significant other, or best friend gets assaulted, it's not just that person affected, but their community as well. Check back in 10 years and you'll likely see more progress, the way 10 years ago how Bill Cosby would be protected but now his reputation is unsalvageable.

If "everyone" is guilty, the trick then is to stop the culture that encourages that guilt in the first place. When there's a reckoning, then we can begin to see major, major changes. We have to stop the habit of holding victims accountable (and thus blaming them for their own attacks) as a first resort gut reaction, and hold the attackers accountable instead to the fullest extent of the law. And that transcends politics -- the very first victims of a conservative politician's sexual assaults are conservatives themselves, after all. And I'm so sure that conservatives, liberals, etc. would want to see justice done for a heinous crime committed upon a constituent.
    I'm just extrapolating from issues of racial discrimination and mass shootings that also seem to turn up in the news; with frequency. it just seems like people stop caring after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I'm just extrapolating from issues of racial discrimination and mass shootings that also seem to turn up in the news; with frequency. it just seems like people stop caring after awhile.
    It really depends on who you ask, though. Issues of racial discrimination aren't desensitized to those who actually experience them, and they keep organizing and drawing more people into the fold. People still protest mass shootings to their politicians, and more painfully, those who lost loved ones to mass shootings are particularly sensitive every time a new shooting happens, because it rips open those wounds all over again. Rather, I'd argue that people can get accustomed to routine, but it doesn't stop them from trying to change or prevent that routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Aw, fuck, not John Lasseter, too.

We're well in the territory of guys who are known for adding so much good in the world and then squander it all with sexual misconduct. Louis CK, Al Franken, Charlie Rose, George Takei, now John Lasseter, among others.

Takei has unequivocally denied it and it looks more and more like Franken is the victim of a political hit job.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

I think whenever Uma Thurman decides to speak her piece, its going to be NUCLEAR level stuff

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    I think whenever Uma Thurman decides to speak her piece, its going to be NUCLEAR level stuff
    isn't she speaking, right now? there's something about it in the Weinstein thread. I'm still waiting on Feldman.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

isn't she speaking, right now? there's something about it in the Weinstein thread. I'm still waiting on Feldman.
    Short of them people who actually abused him, we might have heard all that we will ever hear.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

This is the kind of thing I was afraid of... not so much accusers lying on their own initiative, but people being recruited and paid to lie by anti-democracy traitors and terrorists:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/28/medi...ing/index.html

Nazi recruits and pays person to lie about being harassed by Roy Moore, so that she can then be "exposed" for lying and thus cast doubt on all the accusers. Fortunately most Nazis are of sub-human intelligence and this one got caught... but we can't always count on it. American journalism is not in a good place right now.

Spectacular Member

Sean Young accuses Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment ... when she came forward with her allegations, Barbra Streisand shamed her for it.

“Now here’s a really weird story,” Young said. “I auditioned for Barbra Streisand for ‘The Mirror Has Two Faces,’ and when I went to my audition with her, she said to me, ‘I think it’s disgusting that you talked to the press.’ And what I had said to the press was that I was harassed, I was sexually harassed by Warren Beatty.”
    “She told me she thought that was disgusting, and I said, ‘You think it’s disgusting?’ And she said, ‘I was with Warren Beatty and my mouth fell off,'” Young recalled. “And I said, ‘You mean like what? Am I the only actress who hasn’t slept with Warren Beatty in this town?'”

https://pagesix.com/2017/10/20/sean-...al-harassment/
    LAPD Says New cases are coming, 'We're Not Finished Yet'... Have At Least 28 MORE Open Sex Assault Investigations.
    Tom Sizemore the actor who played the Sergeant in Saving Private Ryan has been accused of sexually assaulting an 11 year old girl! Charlie sheen is accused of assaulting an under age Corey Haim. Both of these actors connect to the notorious madam Heidi Fleiss' prostitution ring/house
    Were Bill Cosby, Woody Allen and Polanski innocent? if not how did they get away with their criminality? Corey Feldman went on the Dr. Oz show again and revealed the name of another of his alleged abusers. While the first abuser was a low-life convicted child molester who fled to Mexico, the second one is still working in the industry. The alleged abuser, Alphy Hoffman also owned the most famous teen club in Hollywood that catered to underage child actors during the time Feldman was molested.
    http://celebrityinsider.org/former-c...r-lives-86632/
    Former Child Actors Back Corey Feldman But Say They Are Too Scared To Come Forward, Fear For Their Lives
    Prison Break actor Robert Knepper is the latest Hollywood star to be accused of sexual assault.
    http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/08/robert-k...lt-accusation/
    Over 30 women had accused Hollywood director James Toback of sexual harassment. Since then, more women have come forward with allegations against Toback, including Ellen Pompeo, Rachel McAdams, and Selma Blair. Toback denied the allegations in an interview with Rolling Stone.
    Andy Dick has been dropped from the independent feature film Raising Buchanan following accusations of sexual harassment and misconduct on set.
    The Hollywood Reporter has not been able to reach any of the alleged victims. However, two sources detailed Dick’s inappropriate behavior, which included groping people’s genitals, unwanted kissing/licking and sexual propositions of at least four members of the production. It’s unclear if those involved were actors or crew.
    Rapper Jahseh Onfroy (aka XXXTentacion) has been accused of domestic violence by his former girlfriend. According to an arrest report, the rapper allegedly "punched and kicked" his girlfriend, who was pregnant at the time. According to a court document linked to from Pitchfork, he was later charged with aggravated battery of a pregnant woman, domestic battery by strangulation, false imprisonment, and witness tampering. Onfroy has pleaded not guilty to the charges. A trial is set to begin on December 11. Julianna Margulies said the actor once baited her to a late-night “audition” in his New York hotel room on the condition that the female casting agent setting up the encounter would also be present. The woman never showed up, leaving Margulies alone with Seagal, who started showing her his gun, but she was able to leave before anything happened. Actress Lisa Guerrero also recently told the Los Angeles Times about a similar experience with Seagal, but in her case the female casting agent was present, and he greeted both of them at his front door wearing nothing but a silky robe. In 1998, Jenny McCarthy accused Seagal of repeatedly telling her to take off her clothes during a casting session for Under Siege 2, and a former assistant once sued him for sexual harassment and trafficking women for sex, though she later dropped the charges.

Mariah Carey has been accused of Weinstein-style sexual harassment. ex-security guard who claims she sexually harassed and verbally berated him throughout his employment.
    https://babe.net/2017/11/08/mariah-c...rassment-20422
    Security officer Michael Anello says Carey lured him up to her hotel room where she was visibly naked under sheer lingerie. He claims that she stopped his efforts to leave by making him complete tasks in the room like moving her luggage. Anello also alleges that Carey frequently screamed race-based insults at him, including calling Anello a Nazi, a skinhead, and a KKK member. But the root of the lawsuit is really about Carey not paying him almost $1 million in unpaid contract salary.
    Carey's camp denies all allegations except for the unpaid money, though they dispute the owed amount.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Have you considered line breaks to separate the different stories?
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    This is the kind of thing I was afraid of... not so much accusers lying on their own initiative, but people being recruited and paid to lie by anti-democracy traitors and terrorists:

Nazi recruits and pays person to lie about being harassed by Roy Moore, so that she can then be "exposed" for lying and thus cast doubt on all the accusers. Fortunately most Nazis are of sub-human intelligence and this one got caught... but we can't always count on it. American journalism is not in a good place right now.
    Yes, the need for journalistic integrity is paramount in cases like these, but it goes to show just how important and necessary it is to have an outlet like the Post. Trust but verify is an important mantra. That's how news outlets protect themselves. Hell, that's how Access Hollywood (of all things) is protecting itself against Trump.

And then, of course, there's why anyone would want to go in there with the intent of discrediting rape accusers with no evidence in the first place, and then becoming a false rape accuser to try to achieve that goal anyway.

If I were a rape survivor, and I saw a post emphasizing the perceived or inflated dangers of false rape accusations rather than focusing on the sheer number of actual cases (where even the FBI can't truly keep track since they're so numerous -- and they've one of the largest crime databases in the world), I'd be discouraged from reporting rape or telling friends about it because the first fear is that you're not taken seriously and just outright disbelieved. Even moreso if a gigantic, national resource like the Post comes under fire because 1 case of false accusation somehow undermines the validity of a hundred documented and verifiable cases in their investigations. On the contrary, having major outlets report on rape helps to create some comfort in rape survivors, especially for those who tried to tell people for decades but nothing came about it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhichDrWhowins View Post
    Sean Young accuses Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment ... when she came forward with her allegations, Barbra Streisand shamed her for it.

“Now here’s a really weird story,” Young said. “I auditioned for Barbra Streisand for ‘The Mirror Has Two Faces,’ and when I went to my audition with her, she said to me, ‘I think it’s disgusting that you talked to the press.’ And what I had said to the press was that I was harassed, I was sexually harassed by Warren Beatty.”
    “She told me she thought that was disgusting, and I said, ‘You think it’s disgusting?’ And she said, ‘I was with Warren Beatty and my mouth fell off,'” Young recalled. “And I said, ‘You mean like what? Am I the only actress who hasn’t slept with Warren Beatty in this town?'”

https://pagesix.com/2017/10/20/sean-...al-harassment/
    LAPD Says New cases are coming, 'We're Not Finished Yet'... Have At Least 28 MORE Open Sex Assault Investigations.
    Tom Sizemore the actor who played the Sergeant in Saving Private Ryan has been accused of sexually assaulting an 11 year old girl! Charlie sheen is accused of assaulting an under age Corey Haim. Both of these actors connect to the notorious madam Heidi Fleiss' prostitution ring/house
    Were Bill Cosby, Woody Allen and Polanski innocent? if not how did they get away with their criminality? Corey Feldman went on the Dr. Oz show again and revealed the name of another of his alleged abusers. While the first abuser was a low-life convicted child molester who fled to Mexico, the second one is still working in the industry. The alleged abuser, Alphy Hoffman also owned the most famous teen club in Hollywood that catered to underage child actors during the time Feldman was molested.
    http://celebrityinsider.org/former-c...r-lives-86632/
    Former Child Actors Back Corey Feldman But Say They Are Too Scared To Come Forward, Fear For Their Lives
    Prison Break actor Robert Knepper is the latest Hollywood star to be accused of sexual assault.
    http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/08/robert-k...lt-accusation/
    Over 30 women had accused Hollywood director James Toback of sexual harassment. Since then, more women have come forward with allegations against Toback, including Ellen Pompeo, Rachel McAdams, and Selma Blair. Toback denied the allegations in an interview with Rolling Stone.
    Andy Dick has been dropped from the independent feature film Raising Buchanan following accusations of sexual harassment and misconduct on set.
    The Hollywood Reporter has not been able to reach any of the alleged victims. However, two sources detailed Dick’s inappropriate behavior, which included groping people’s genitals, unwanted kissing/licking and sexual propositions of at least four members of the production. It’s unclear if those involved were actors or crew.
    Rapper Jahseh Onfroy (aka XXXTentacion) has been accused of domestic violence by his former girlfriend. According to an arrest report, the rapper allegedly "punched and kicked" his girlfriend, who was pregnant at the time. According to a court document linked to from Pitchfork, he was later charged with aggravated battery of a pregnant woman, domestic battery by strangulation, false imprisonment, and witness tampering. Onfroy has pleaded not guilty to the charges. A trial is set to begin on December 11. Julianna Margulies said the actor once baited her to a late-night “audition” in his New York hotel room on the condition that the female casting agent setting up the encounter would also be present. The woman never showed up, leaving Margulies alone with Seagal, who started showing her his gun, but she was able to leave before anything happened. Actress Lisa Guerrero also recently told the Los Angeles Times about a similar experience with Seagal, but in her case the female casting agent was present, and he greeted both of them at his front door wearing nothing but a silky robe. In 1998, Jenny McCarthy accused Seagal of repeatedly telling her to take off her clothes during a casting session for Under Siege 2, and a former assistant once sued him for sexual harassment and trafficking women for sex, though she later dropped the charges.

Mariah Carey has been accused of Weinstein-style sexual harassment. ex-security guard who claims she sexually harassed and verbally berated him throughout his employment.
    https://babe.net/2017/11/08/mariah-c...rassment-20422
    Security officer Michael Anello says Carey lured him up to her hotel room where she was visibly naked under sheer lingerie. He claims that she stopped his efforts to leave by making him complete tasks in the room like moving her luggage. Anello also alleges that Carey frequently screamed race-based insults at him, including calling Anello a Nazi, a skinhead, and a KKK member. But the root of the lawsuit is really about Carey not paying him almost $1 million in unpaid contract salary.
    Carey's camp denies all allegations except for the unpaid money, though they dispute the owed amount.
    it's weird that the rapper/domestic violence stuff is inserted in there. it seems to cut off part of the Steven Seagal allegations. and I totally believe that Mariah Carey groped that guy. but I'm not sure that calling someone a Nazi is a race-based insult.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just got an alert on my phone that Matt Lauer from NBC's Today Show got the chop this morning:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ma...D=ansmsnnews11
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

and somewhere

Ann Curry laughs

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

american journalism has been EXCELLENT the past 2 years in spite of all the attacks on it