Page 21 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Retired

Binge watching the second season of THE CROWN. It's hard for me to look on Philip Mountbatten with much forgiveness in my heart--even if he had a sad childhood and he's played by the Eleventh Doctor.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    yeah, well Trump is also fighting it. it's not that unusual.

on an unrelated note, actor TJ Miller has now been accused of sexual assault by a former girlfriend.
    Trump's a class all by himself. You could tell him he has two eyes and a nose and he'd deny it.

Frakken Marc Schwahn creator of one of my favorite shows and the show my sister in law and I bonded over is a complete degenerate apparently
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Frakken Marc Schwahn creator of one of my favorite shows and the show my sister in law and I bonded over is a complete degenerate apparently
    how could sexual advances from this discount dr.who be unwanted?

disclaimer: the personal appearance of the perpetrator and/or victim is not a factor in whether sexual harassment is legitimate or not.

Astonishing Member

I generally don't judge work by the artist's personal life. Though I do avoid Allen and Polanski stuff. That may be because most of their well known stuff was 'before my time' and I knew them primarily from their bad behavior. The Allen thing was happening when I was a young. It also didn't help either that it was somewhat like something else that was happening at the time...gave it an extra squick factor.
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 12-21-2017 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Something like The Cosby Show, if I hadn't ever heard of Cosby's dozens of allegations there's no doubt that I likely would have sat through more episodes of the show since. I had an ex once that would have watched that show daily if she had the time. I understand and agree with the nostalgia of it and it was for a time a comforting watch of television. Now though, if I'm just flipping and maybe it's a really funny one I may sit for a bit but that is one instance where unfortunately there is a cloud over it and I have not lent it the time even in passing had I not become cognizant of Dr. Cosby's behavior... he was a Dr. alright.

Signore was easy as I didn't care much for him before and that help.
    I take it back. Cosby was the first one I had issue with. I was a big fan of The Cosby Show as a kid, but it's been real hard to watch. Not that I really seek it out, but I blow right past it when I'm flipping. I'm kind of surprised it still gets airplay.

And with Signore, I actually didn't care for him either. I generally watched Movie Fights for Dan, Hal, and the guests they had. But his presence is even more bothersome now.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Where does everyone stand with being able to watch and enjoy the works of some of the accused sexual deviants?
    Well, I'm still watching House of Cards, the show is just too damn good to turn my back on, despite all the shit with Kevin Spacey.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I loved the Cosby Show when it was on, as part of NBC's "Must See TV" block with Family Ties, Cheers and Night Court. But I have to say that, the accusations against Cosby himself notwithstanding, the show hasn't aged very well. So preachy.

I would actually consider Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids the bigger loss, as well as his hilarious comedy albums from the 60's and 70's, which I listened to constantly as a kid. I even went to see him in concert once in the early 80's.

BANNED

to me, the legacy of 'The Cosby Show' is tainted because, if you look at a number of these accusations, they happened during that time

so when Bill Cosby is on the cover of People Magazine with the caption "America's #1 Dad", the TV Guide covers "Cosby Show Returns NBC to the Top", Bill Cosby is drugging and raping women and making NBC a whole lot of money so no one says anything

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I loved the Cosby Show when it was on, as part of NBC's "Must See TV" block with Family Ties, Cheers and Night Court. But I have to say that, the accusations against Cosby himself notwithstanding, the show hasn't aged very well. So preachy.
    I don't follow that. Maybe being 'preachy' is to mean something else or to the dynamic as a whole? I mean never once saw Cliff Huxtable pray with his children, take his, or any bible off of the shelf and relate a scripture pertaining to one of the kids situations. I only remember a pair of times the show even shot scenes in a church. He never had any instances where he dictated anything from any political stance or really even said anything specific to black folks. It was quite homogeneous for the situational sitcom format. Maybe you think Leave it to Beaver or My Three Son's hasn't aged well because of being preachy, if so then I'm not sure what else a familial situational sitcom does. The dad tries to steer his family in the right situation. If that is what preachy is to mean, then I'll take it for the next 50 years as opposed to something like Roseanne.

Now if you really want a show that hasn't aged well because of being preachy then you already mentioned a better example in Family Ties with Alex Keaton's Republican and Ronald Regan cheerleading that was a theme throughout the entire show. Without that character nobody would have watched Family Ties.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I would actually consider Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids the bigger loss
    This is true except for the fact that 75% of it is animation and if you're a fan of the old Filmation studios work that was popular at the time, then I feel you might can still find some enjoyment. He still has chunks of face time in Fat Albert (and if you think The Cosby Show is preachy well this show was nothing but what not to do and was all life lessons so this I guess has aged all the way out) and likely the prime pussy stealing while unconscious years was the late 70s through the early 90s and at least Fat Albert is intercut. The sitcom is all Cosby front and center.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I didn't mean preachy in terms of religion, but in trying to offer a "very special message" with everything that happened, rather than just having a funny storyline. With the cartoon it was OK because that was really its main mission. But The Cosby Show (and A Different World) were the apex of the "did we learn something?" school of sitcom writing that was prevalent from about the mid-70's to the mid-90's.

The Cosby Show inches closer to Full House territory for me. Definitely hasn't aged well and only saved by nostalgia, and incredibly preachy even for a family sitcom, even if it wasn't overtly religious.

I feel like Home Improvement is an example of a family sitcom that still had its lessons but wasn't nearly as preachy as the Cosby Show and Full House. I'm sure there are other examples, but the ones aimed more at an older audience (Cheers, Seinfeld, Murphy Brown, etc) don't count and definitely weren't preachy. The Cosby Show would've been right at home in the TGIF lineup had it ever change networks.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Now what has Matt Damon allegedly said or done that's made him such a persona non grata?

I think how to proceed with the work of these people is an individual choice, and a case by case basis.

I'm not going to never watch SE7EN again because Spacey is a creep. He's a creep in it, so maybe that helps? But I love that movie, and everyone else involved in it, so... ?

Louis CK is another one. I still think he's funny, and what he did was pretty light compared to say Cosby. I just wish he would have owned up to it sooner. That he didn't is why he's screwed now. I don't think the repercussions would have been so drastic if he'd owned up to it when it came out a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Now what has Matt Damon allegedly said or done that's made him such a persona non grata?
    whatever it was, seems kind of weird that Ben Affleck get a free pass. he was just as buddy buddy with Weinstein.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3707751

the "Downsizing" actor highlighted the takedown of predatory stars in Hollywood as a "watershed moment," but said that in his experience, "the preponderance of men" in the industry are not sexual predators and thus deserve a pat on the back.

"We're in this watershed moment, and it's great, but I think one thing that's not being talked about is there are a whole s-tload of guys — the preponderance of men I've worked with — who don't do this kind of thing and whose lives aren't going to be affected," Damon said.

During their discussion, Damon stated that he didn't feel it was fair to lump all the men accused of sexual harassment and assault together because "there's a spectrum of behavior."

"There's a difference between, you know, patting someone on the butt and rape or child molestation, right?" he said.

"Both of these behaviors need to be confronted and eradicated without question, but they shouldn't be conflated, right?"

^I'm guessing that the highlighted was the trigger.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 12-22-2017 at 03:10 PM.