Page 33 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

i did not say that han HAD the intention to grope leia. it is rather a clumsy, inappropiate advance. and he does not respect her initial rejection. just cause it ends up with a happy love story doesnīt mean that his approach is ok

modern day man that does a clumsy move should back off. which han didnīt cause he is an 80s long long time ago charcter. which was my INITAL claim "how would this be seen today?"

and letīs not forget the earlier "you could use good kiss" which basically demotes her position, cause... she is so unf****
    Last edited by abulafia; 01-29-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    i did not say that han HAD the intention to grope leia. it is rather a clumsy, inappropiate advance. and he does not respect her initial rejection. just cause it ends up with a happy love story doesnīt mean that his approach is ok

modern day man that does a clumsy move should back off. which han didnīt cause he is an 80s long long time ago charcter. which was my INITAL claim "how would this be seen today?"
    People do watch Empire Strikes Back today and more modern audiences have problems with slave girl Leia suit and the "marginalization" of minorities than they do with this scene.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    People do watch Empire Strikes Back today and more modern audiences have problems with slave girl Leia suit and the "marginalization" of minorities than they do with this scene.
    atleast slave leia has a redemption. the point is, that i think that the falcon scene (+mynok "yiiek") reverses the strong portrayal of leia. and it is ok to have characters being growing. it is just han making his sleazy move on her.
    would i want leia telling han about the artist she used to date? no.

i am not even totally against the scene from my 80s perpective. but i insist that it it outdated. perceptions change. this is an example
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Rob Schneider who was in SNL and a few comedies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM-iTP-B-aM

Something happened to him in a hotel room when he was a young actor. A famous director asked him for sexual services. And he declined. Rob says it is rampant in Hollywood, Producers, Directors, Agents, Gay, Straight, etc...

It's as if you cannot turn a corner without being proposed.

Invincible Member

atleast slave leia has a redemption. the point is, that i think that the falcon scene (+mynok "yiiek") reverses the strong portrayal of leia. and it is ok to have characters being growing. it is just han making his sleazy move on her.
    would i want leia telling han about the artist she used to date? no.

i am not even totally against the scene from my 80s perpective. but i insist that it it outdated. perceptions change. this is an example
    So now your problem is she fell for a bad pick up line.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    So now your problem is she fell for a bad pick up line.
    just watch her reaction before han says "hey your worship, i was just trying to help"
    why is he excusive if he wasnīt steppinng over boundries?
    iīll leave this now. it is there on screen. the great love story of princess and scoundrel has a rocky start. and nobody would write an engagement like that anymore. a horny (yet cool) guy sneaking upon a woman while she is busy repairing the escape vehicle

BANNED

more like a stalky start

Invincible Member

just watch her reaction before han says "hey your worship, i was just trying to help"
    why is he excusive if he wasnīt steppinng over boundries?
    iīll leave this now. it is there on screen. the great love story of princess and scoundrel has a rocky start. and nobody would write an engagement like that anymore. a horny (yet cool) guy sneaking upon a woman while she is busy repairing the escape vehicle
    I'm willing to let it rest as well, but I'll close with a) what's actually happening on screen is not the way you're interpeting it and b) scenes like that are not uncommon in fiction in the modern era. If you think Han is a jerk fine, but jerk doesn't equal sexual molester.

Fantastic Member

A perspective on how social media outrage may be doing a lot of harm: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/katie-r...hought-police/

And here is the actual article she wrote:
    https://harpers.org/archive/2018/02/...isper-network/

BANNED

men are afraid women will laugh at and reject them

women are afraid men will hurt/kill them

women have been killed for telling a man NO

a climate of overreaction is tolerable IMO for the time being

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    a climate of overreaction is tolerable IMO for the time being
    Not if it results in injustice against the innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Not if it results in injustice against the innocent.
    If it's about an individual, sure. But for much of this thread and the overall greater discussion in thr public sphere, it's been about the systemic problems stemming from rape culture in general. As it is, focusing on the idea of "what of we get an innocent man by accident" is essentially using a lopsided hypothetical to curb action on what is undeniable reality for a lot of victims.

so is society experiencing burn-out on this stuff, yet? It doesn't feel as if anything has changed. Trump's still Teflon. there are still people accused of sexual assault winning awards and playing in the superbowl. I overheard several older women talking about how it's the woman's responsibility to not "dress sexy," this morning. this national conversation seems to have gotten as far as the conversation on race and guns.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    so is society experiencing burn-out on this stuff, yet? It doesn't feel as if anything has changed. Trump's still Teflon. there are still people accused of sexual assault winning awards and playing in the superbowl. I overheard several older women talking about how it's the woman's responsibility to not "dress sexy," this morning. this national conversation seems to have gotten as far as the conversation on race and guns.
    Seems like it.

This whole "movement" has really been more about "call-out culture" and castigating men in the court of public opinion, rather than actually seeking justice for actual wrongdoing. Go to the police, not the press.

Also, accusations are not evidence. Look up the UVA/Rollingstone case, Duke Lacrosse case, 1996 Summer Olympics with Richard Jewell. Pay close attention to how the media, public and law enforcement reacted in these cases.

I hope that, for someone like Eliza Dushku for example, she did go to the police first regarding her experience as a 12 year old. I guess it's tough for the general public to weed through all of the news to find out who went through the proper channels and who did not.

There are so many details, factors, and variables from case to case. For many casual observers, they blur together after a while.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002