Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253 LastLast
Results 751 to 765 of 786
  1. #751
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I've never watched any Woody Allen films as his work never appealed to me.
    How do you know if you have never seen one of his films?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  2. #752
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    17,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How do you know if you have never seen one of his films?
    Because I've never been interested in him, or his work. Woody Allen never moved the needle for me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  3. #753
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,044

    Default

    Annie Hall is still one of the best comedy films ever. Woody Allen can piss off though

  4. #754
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Annie Hall is still one of the best comedy films ever. Woody Allen can piss off though
    Yeah, I can’t imagine a “film buff” who hasn’t at least seen Annie Hall.

  5. #755
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    17,991

    Default

    Celebrity Chef Mario Batali continues being a scumbag:

    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mario...b09b23e65dadd1
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  6. #756
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Celebrity Chef Mario Batali continues being a scumbag:

    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mario...b09b23e65dadd1
    Man, that makes me miss Anthony Bourdain that much more. He was always a good advocate for better workplace conditions in the food industry, but he had been trying to warn folks about sexual harassment for years.

  7. #757
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Because I've never been interested in him, or his work. Woody Allen never moved the needle for me.
    Some of his early stuff was hilarious. Sleeper, Bananas, Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex* But Were Afraid To Ask.

  8. #758
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Some of his early stuff was hilarious. Sleeper, Bananas, Everything You Wanted To Know About Sex* But Were Afraid To Ask.
    https://www.cracked.com/blog/louis-c...is-misconduct/

    Some Woody Allen observations in there

  9. #759
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18,962

    Default

    Harvey Weinstein 'to settle with accusers for $44m'

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48393721

  10. #760

    Default

    Does Kristin Kreuck get any blowback from the sex cult case? I thought that she recruited Allison Mack (and then bailed).
    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I thought I couldn't love Steve Rogers any more than I already do, but here he is, eating pizza with a fork, just like I do (the only correct way to eat pizza

  11. #761
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    7,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Does Kristin Kreuck get any blowback from the sex cult case? I thought that she recruited Allison Mack (and then bailed).
    Its was just some self help pyramid scheme back then. She was gone before the sex cult

  12. #762
    of House Bolton Ramsay Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Yeah, I can’t imagine a “film buff” who hasn’t at least seen Annie Hall.
    I'm a bit of a film buff and I've never seen Annie Hall.....At least I don't think I have. I've seen bits & pieces of probably two Woody Allen films on cable when I was younger, and didn't find any interest in his work.

    So, I've never seen an entire Woody Allen film, unless you count Antz, which he was a voice-actor in so that doesn't count as a Woody Allen Film.

  13. #763
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I'm a bit of a film buff and I've never seen Annie Hall.....At least I don't think I have. I've seen bits & pieces of probably two Woody Allen films on cable when I was younger, and didn't find any interest in his work.

    So, I've never seen an entire Woody Allen film, unless you count Antz, which he was a voice-actor in so that doesn't count as a Woody Allen Film.
    How much of a film buff? How many of the films from this list have you seen?

    https://www.afi.com/100Years/movies.aspx

    or this?

    https://www.imdb.com/list/ls055592025/
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  14. #764
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I'm a bit of a film buff and I've never seen Annie Hall.....At least I don't think I have. I've seen bits & pieces of probably two Woody Allen films on cable when I was younger, and didn't find any interest in his work.

    So, I've never seen an entire Woody Allen film, unless you count Antz, which he was a voice-actor in so that doesn't count as a Woody Allen Film.
    You explained yourself with the bolded bits.

    "Film buff" =\= "I watched a lot of movies, that I probably can't count."

  15. #765
    of House Bolton Ramsay Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How much of a film buff? How many of the films from this list have you seen?

    https://www.afi.com/100Years/movies.aspx

    or this?

    https://www.imdb.com/list/ls055592025/


    Around 60-70 of them (I'm not going to bother doing a precise count).....Although the criteria of the people involved for making that top 100 list is solid, on paper, I'm baffled as to how films like ET & Platoon make it onto a list of the best 100 films of all-time. ET was a charming film by Spielberg, but no. And Platoon was a good film with an interesting cast, but I wouldn't consider it great.

    I have a lot of problems with that list, but some of it's admittedly subjective (I can't stand Forrest Gump and don't see it belonging on a list involving the great works of Kubrick and others)......That list is also a couple decades out of date, btw (And the 10th Anniversary list linked on that page still falls a decade short).

    Oh, and Silence of the Lambs was great for its time, but I thought it felt pitifully dated until I bought the Criterion Collection bluray which came out last year, which gave me a better appreciation of the film. Both due to the picture/audio improvements, as well as the special features.


    Edit: I didn't look at the imdb link when I originally replied.
    Out of that list, around 85 of them. I'm such a paltry wannabe. If I was a true film buff, I would have seen every single film on both lists 40 times over, and responded with a top 1,000 list of my own to prove my worthiness. Oh, woe is me! Perhaps if I gaze upon multiple pictures of Woody Allen & Soon-Yi together I'll finally see the light.


    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    You explained yourself with the bolded bits.

    "Film buff" =\= "I watched a lot of movies, that I probably can't count."

    The bolded bits show my humility knows no bounds.

    While you guys salivate over pretentious schlop like Woody Allen films, I'll marvel at David Lynch's Mulholland Drive.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 05-27-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •