Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I'm a bit of a film buff and I've never seen Annie Hall.....At least I don't think I have. I've seen bits & pieces of probably two Woody Allen films on cable when I was younger, and didn't find any interest in his work.

So, I've never seen an entire Woody Allen film, unless you count Antz, which he was a voice-actor in so that doesn't count as a Woody Allen Film.
    You explained yourself with the bolded bits.

"Film buff" =\= "I watched a lot of movies, that I probably can't count."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How much of a film buff? How many of the films from this list have you seen?

https://www.afi.com/100Years/movies.aspx

or this?

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls055592025/

Around 60-70 of them (I'm not going to bother doing a precise count).....Although the criteria of the people involved for making that top 100 list is solid, on paper, I'm baffled as to how films like ET & Platoon make it onto a list of the best 100 films of all-time. ET was a charming film by Spielberg, but no. And Platoon was a good film with an interesting cast, but I wouldn't consider it great.

I have a lot of problems with that list, but some of it's admittedly subjective (I can't stand Forrest Gump and don't see it belonging on a list involving the great works of Kubrick and others)......That list is also a couple decades out of date, btw (And the 10th Anniversary list linked on that page still falls a decade short).

Oh, and Silence of the Lambs was great for its time, but I thought it felt pitifully dated until I bought the Criterion Collection bluray which came out last year, which gave me a better appreciation of the film. Both due to the picture/audio improvements, as well as the special features.

Edit: I didn't look at the imdb link when I originally replied.
    Out of that list, around 85 of them. I'm such a paltry wannabe. If I was a true film buff, I would have seen every single film on both lists 40 times over, and responded with a top 1,000 list of my own to prove my worthiness. Oh, woe is me! Perhaps if I gaze upon multiple pictures of Woody Allen & Soon-Yi together I'll finally see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    You explained yourself with the bolded bits.

"Film buff" =\= "I watched a lot of movies, that I probably can't count."

The bolded bits show my humility knows no bounds.

While you guys salivate over pretentious schlop like Woody Allen films, I'll marvel at David Lynch's Mulholland Drive.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 05-27-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks. I agree you are a pretty well rounded buff. I was just trying to get beyond your initial statement.
    I also agree the list isn't definitive or perfect, but it is a good barometer to see if people are serious about cinema.

But sorry without actually seeing any Woody Allen films, you can't really criticize them.

Annie Hall is still great.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-27-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

The bolded bits show my humility knows no bounds.

While you guys salivate over pretentious schlop like Woody Allen films, I'll marvel at David Lynch's Mulholland Drive.
    I never made a comment about my personal thoughts on Allen’s films. Anyone can like or dislike a particular movie, from “film buff” to “casual movie-goer”. Hell, I consider “The Room” a movie any self-professed film buff should have watched.

Being a film buff isn’t about “watching only good movies”, although that’s a great place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Thanks. I agree you are a pretty well rounded buff. I was just trying to get beyond your initial statement.
    I also agree the list isn't definitive or perfect, but it is a good barometer to see if people are serious about cinema.

But sorry without actually seeing any Woody Allen films, you can't really criticize them.

Annie Hall is still great.
    I'm somewhat well-rounded. I've never seen The Godfather series, nor Doctor Zhivago, and I don't remember if I've watched any of the works of Orson Welles (That alone would negate one's "buff" cred).

I might give Annie Hall a chance one day. I just found it very difficult to sit through a couple of his films (Which is why I didn't see them in full), so I honestly don't know if I can do it.....And this is coming from someone who used to watch those crappy b-movies on USA's Up All Night and those Elvira broadcasts when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I never made a comment about my personal thoughts on Allen’s films. Anyone can like or dislike a particular movie, from “film buff” to “casual movie-goer”. Hell, I consider “The Room” a movie any self-professed film buff should have watched.

Being a film buff isn’t about “watching only good movies”, although that’s a great place to start.

Of course. Similar to a music critic, you have to know both the good and the bad (And sometimes what's predominantly considered bad can still be appealing, depending on the viewer/listener).
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 05-28-2019 at 04:40 AM.

In my opinion Allen's movies are better than Mulholland drive hell that wouldn't even be my go to DL movie blue vevit and lost hiway are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Woody Allen married his step daughter. That is no different from President Grover Cleveland marrying his former ward, Frances Folsom, whom he raised after her father's death. Grover Cleveland was Frances Folsom's guardian and he married her.
    Both are creepy when you watch a child grow up especially when you're taking a parenting role in their life it's creepy and begs the question when did they start finding her sexually attractive? 18? 16? 14? Yuck just creepy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Both are creepy when you watch a child grow up especially when you're taking a parenting role in their life it's creepy and begs the question when did they start finding her sexually attractive? 18? 16? 14? Yuck just creepy as hell.
    Yep. And then there's the inherent power dynamic that comes with such a relationship. Was the father attracted to her because she was dependent on you? Because she was more controllable and influential? And then are you using that power to your advantage? That's a major reason why teacher/student relationships are forbidden, even at the graduate level when most students are already in their mid twenties - thirties and are fully functional adults in their own right. But if that protection is for adult students, what chance would a 14 year old have without it?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    In my opinion Allen's movies are better than Mulholland drive hell that wouldn't even be my go to DL movie blue vevit and lost hiway are better.

Obviously, although I've never seen a Woody Allen movie in full, I disagree on that......Blue Velvet & Lost Highway are solid. Mulholland Drive & Blue Velvet are rated by critics as the best films of their respective decades.

Lost Highway is an underappreciated gem. The way Lynch uses Balthazar Getty as a representation of Bill Pullman's subconscious is brilliant.

I'm somewhat well-rounded. I've never seen The Godfather series, nor Doctor Zhivago, and I don't remember if I've watched any of the works of Orson Welles (That alone would negate one's "buff" cred).

I might give Annie Hall a chance one day. I just found it very difficult to sit through a couple of his films (Which is why I didn't see them in full), so I honestly don't know if I can do it.....And this is coming from someone who used to watch those crappy b-movies on USA's Up All Night and those Elvira broadcasts when I was a kid.

Of course. Similar to a music critic, you have to know both the good and the bad (And sometimes what's predominantly considered bad can still be appealing, depending on the viewer/listener).

Godfather 1 and 2 is a must. There is no excuse not to see them. As for Dr. Zhivago, it is good but for David Lean I think Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge on the River Kwai are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I agree with this for Lynch movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Woody Allen married his step daughter. That is no different from President Grover Cleveland marrying his former ward, Frances Folsom, whom he raised after her father's death. Grover Cleveland was Frances Folsom's guardian and he married her.
    This is not why Allen is mentioned here. There were allegations that he abused one of his daughters. These were investigated by the police and found not to be verifiable. Some of his children defend him, some say the daughter is telling the truth.

As far as Soon Yi, they have now been married for almost 40 years, so i would say there criticism of that relationship is uncalled for. She did not grow up with him as a father figure.

Soon Yi Previn has stated that Woody Allen "was never any kind of father figure [to her]," and added that she "never had any dealings with him" during her childhood.[11] According to Previn, her first friendly interaction with Allen took place when she was injured playing soccer during 11th grade and Allen offered to transport her to school. Following her injury, Previn began attending New York Knicks basketball games with Allen.[13]
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-28-2019 at 05:55 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

I was a big fan of Woody Allen in the 1980s. I saw all of his old movies multiple times and went to see his new ones as soon as they came to the theatre and I would watch them several times. I was also doing film studies then and watched hundreds of movies every year. Allen was derivative of other film makers and you could identify which director was his influence for each movie, but I didn't hold that against him.

However, by 1987, with ALICE, and his movies after that, my enthusiasm for his movies went away and I gave up on seeing any of the new releases by around 1990. I had started to feel uncomfortable about his view of women in his movies, his jokes weren't funny anymore and the serious stuff didn't work for me. So the whole break-up with Mia Farrow and his relationship with his step-daughter was just a final nail in a coffin that I had already shut. There's not much now that would get me to watch a new Woody Allen movie.

I know what you mean, films like Zelig and Purple Rose of Cairo were brilliant.

I do like some of the later ones though.

Try "Midnight in Paris".

I really liked Blue Jasmin too, it was his take on "Streetcar"
    Last edited by Kirby101; 05-28-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Invincible Member

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanors yet.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Harvey Weinstein 'to settle with accusers for $44m'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48393721
    I'm not sure how to feel about this and how it relates to the larger issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Allen was derivative of other film makers and you could identify which director was his influence for each movie, but I didn't hold that against him.
    Would you mind giving some examples?