Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

https://www.resetera.com/threads/com...0#post-1089110

Here's a decent write-up about the scenes in the trailers, and not in the final edit, and the differences between the revised Whedon cut and old the Snyder cut. The article also highlights what scene was retained from the original Snyder cut and what was added by Whedon in the reshoots. Some you can already tell, some I was quite surprised about.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 11-18-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Darkseid is too big of a baddie to be handled with just one movie. He needs setup/buildup akin to what the MCU is doing with Thanos in order do the enormity of his threat from the comics justice. It's clear to me from my first viewing that they excised a lot of of Fourth World stuff/Apokolips from the movie so much--to the point that it all gets reduced to a mere mention of Darkseid's name. The fact that they cut so much of that material kind of retroactively makes much of BvS kind of pointless since its obvious that movie was setting up for that stuff down the line.

There's no follow-up or payoff to any of that stuff.
    While I agree with building up to Darkseid there are still much better choices to do it with than Steppenwolf, whose virtually a throwaway character in the comics as well with nothing to really draw on. Kallark, Granny Goodness, Big Barda, virtually any of the New Gods that even casual fans don't have to wiki to remember would have had more potential

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    While I agree with building up to Darkseid there are still much better choices to do it with than Steppenwolf, whose virtually a throwaway character in the comics as well with nothing to really draw on. Kallark, Granny Goodness, Big Barda, virtually any of the New Gods that even casual fans don't have to wiki to remember would have had more potential
    That's actually the point though, it feels like this film is leading into something else.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    With no Darkseid cameo, there is little suspense for anyone who is not familiar with the character (megathreat overload, perhaps?). Marvel did things right in introducing Thanos before his actual debut. I realize DC wants to do things differently than Marvel, but/and it's ironic in that Darkseid is the character that was introduced first.
    The plot they introduced is much more interesting than any Darkseid character though.

Spectacular Member

Saw it. Packed theater. Overall I enjoyed it.

But who the hell hired that actor who played the Flash? Worst casting I've seen in ages. And horrible writing/characterization for the Flash.

His nervous, almost Woody Allen-esque acting...UGH. I thought he would be reaching for his inhaler soon. What a piss poor selection of an actor, as well as bad characterization.

I wasn't expecting to like Jason Mamoa as Aquaman, but came around to him. Victor wasn't too bad too, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    or lets considering outside of Wonder Women, none of the DC films have cracked 60 on RT, or any sort of renown/critical acclaim - see Winter Soldier
    And three of those films were directed by the same person, a person with notably few fresh scores. This is why I find it disingenuous when people pretend they are shocked that the film reviewed poorly.

Also Dr. Strange has a 90% on RT! Why should I listen to people who praise mediocrity?
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-18-2017 at 08:19 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post

But who the hell hired that actor who played the Flash? Worst casting I've seen in ages. And horrible writing/characterization for the Flash.

His nervous, almost Woody Allen-esque acting...UGH. I thought he would be reaching for his inhaler soon. What a piss poor selection of an actor, as well as bad characterization.

I wasn't expecting to like Jason Mamoa as Aquaman, but came around to him. Victor wasn't too bad too, IMO.
    Aquaman and Flash are the two characters most different from their traditional comic book presentations, to be sure.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Also Dr. Strange has a 90% on RT which the worst film I have ever seen.
    Really? I hope you are exaggerating.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

There's a lot of hyperbole being thrown around: in a world where films such as Marvel's 1970s and 1980s movies, BATMAN AND ROBIN, STEEL, and every attempt at a FANTASTIC FOUR movie have been made and seen, it's highly improbable that any MCU or DCEU movie can really touch the depths of "worst film."

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

And three of those films were directed by the same person, a person with notably few fresh scores. This is why I find it disingenuous when people pretend they are shocked that the film reviewed poorly.

Also Dr. Strange has a 90% on RT which the worst film I have ever seen. Why should I listen to people who praise mediocrity?
    Its one of my favorite mcu movies and I agree 90% is why to high its cool if you don't like it but to say it's one of the worst movies you have seen is silly or you haven't seen a lot of bad movies if that's the case I can give you list of movies that makes Dr strange look like gone with the wind.
    Last edited by choptop; 11-18-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post

I actually thigh Flash a lot of the time stole the show. Definitely a departure from the source material though. Same with Aquaman, though he was fun too.

Also Dr. Strange has a 90% on RT which is one the worst comic book films I'v seen. Why should I listen to people who praise mediocrity?
    If you think Dr. Strange is one of the worst you either haven't seen many, or you've got funky taste in films.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Pinsir is a 'Disney/Marvel pays people to give bad reviews on RT' conspiracy theory troll.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Let's not forget that the Tomato Meter does not reference the actual scores given by the critics, but only a percentage of "good ratings" vs. "bad ratings." Just because a film is in the upper 90s, doesn't mean every reviewer gave it a 90... it's just than 90% of the people who saw it kind of liked it.

I was and have corrected my original post. I regard it as a highly mediocre film, however my dislike for it is not rooted within the content of the film itself, but in that 90% score. The movie does nothing exceptional and yet is rewarded with an overwhelmingly positive score.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-18-2017 at 08:23 PM.