Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast

Default JUSTICE LEAGUE early reactions - so far, so GOOD!

On the front page of CBR, there is an article that summarizes some of the social media comments from reviewers now that the social media embargo has lifted. The embargo for full print reviews won't be lifted until around Tuesday.

Here's the CBR article: https://www.cbr.com/early-justice-le...ions-positive/

Despite the qualifier headline of "but not spectacular," I actually thought that the early chatter WAS pretty spectacular!

People are saying it's fun, funny, the cast has great chemistry, and that it's the best DCEU movie, which is saying something after the response Wonder Woman got.

The only criticisms I see in common are that things might be a bit too rushed (inevitable due to its only 2-hour running time) and that the villain (Steppenwolf) wasn't all that and a bag of chips. But the same often gets said of the Marvel Movies in spite of otherwise positive reviews.

I don't know if this will end up being as well scored as Wonder Woman on Rotten Tomatoes, but I do expect it to be the second highest scoring DC movie at least.

Given the previous article about the test screenings testing almost as high as Wonder Woman, and these early enthusiastic reactions, I am predicting a lot of love for Justice League. It's just a shame that there's so much competition right now with Coco and Star Wars, both from Disney, coming out soon after. I don't think Thor will be an insurmountable challenge because it'll be in its 3rd weekend by then, but it's also a consideration.

So, what take did you guys have on the CBR compilation of Twitter reactions to Justice League?

If JL gets at least a 60% RT score, WB will probably be happy enough.

Incredible Member

The reviews are starting to sway me..... Damn!!!

Movie news says it's plotless but really fun like thor 3. Says it's a fun lighthearted film.

Looks like wonder woman and flash steal the movie and cyborg and steppenwolf are the weak leaks of the movie.

Last edited by Gaastra; 11-10-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    The reviews are starting to sway me..... Damn!!!
    Why "damn"?

Were you set on NOT seeing it?

For me, no matter what the reviews said, there's nothing on Earth that would make me miss a JL movie on the big screen.

And some bad reviews.

And mixed reviews. Hmm. Did a jump the gun. Guess i'll wait for the full reviews.

I'm still very positive about the reactions so far, and quite frankly, I'll see it no matter what.

To me, the YouTube videos posted above -- whether they say they are positive, negative, or mixed reviews -- all sound the same to me.

The consensus is that JL is fun, funny, great character moments and interaction/chemistry, and each hero -- particularly Aquaman and Flash -- gets a chance to shine.

On the minus side, some CGI isn't great, there may be some story/pacing problems, and Steppenwolf is not a great big bad.

These comments seem like they could apply to any Marvel movie ever. (was Dormammu really anything special?) It's just that the perception is that DC has to overcome Batman v Superman and win back the fans, while Marvel never really had that kind of high-profile film that left many disappointed.

If the full reviews are of the same type by Wednesday, then I think JL will be a big hit. A billion dollars? Maybe, Maybe not, but certainly within the global take of Wonder Woman or BvS -- $800-900 million.

The review still seem MOSTLY on the positive side. Considering the overall reaction to BvS and SS, mostly positive is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    These comments seem like they could apply to any Marvel movie ever. (was Dormammu really anything special?) It's just that the perception is that DC has to overcome Batman v Superman and win back the fans, while Marvel never really had that kind of high-profile film that left many disappointed.
    The movie version definitely wasn't, especially since he fell victim to cloud-monster syndrome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I (was Dormammu really anything special?)
    Dormammu could hardly be said to be the big bad at all of that movie, since he only appeared for about 5 minutes. Strange used a neat trick to get the better of him, but other villains provided the primary antagonist role. And they were very good at it.

Well WW also had extremely good reviews, but I found it rather disappointing.
    (Maybe because the reviews had such high scores that I expected something extremely good and unique.....while the film was just decent)

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Well WW also had extremely good reviews, but I found it rather disappointing.
    (Maybe because the reviews had such high scores that I expected something extremely good and unique.....while the film was just decent)
    Yes, but everyone has their own opinion, not everyone liked it. Just most people. Otherwise Wonder Woman would have gotten 100%
    I myself thought it was a wonderful movie, I enjoyed almost every minute of it and it was well worth watching four times.
    I'm probably an average guy. If most people like something, I do too. If most people don't, I usually don't like it either.
    Thought Batman v Superman was terrible, for instance. But we have here people who think BvS was the greatest superhero movie ever.
    So I suspect I will probably like Justice League about as much as the critics.

My predictions: Fun action/visuals
    Characters you don't expect much from turning out good; characters you expect much from just being ok, or below.
    Partially convulted storyline, and I say that because of Superman's death/resurrection alone.