Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Saw it it was fun. Rushed, forced jokes, and at one point Awuaman gets smacked against the ceiling and turns into a straight cartoon charatcer visualy. All the characters were fun and i want to see more of them in a better movie

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    my DC fanboy boss treated a group of us from work and out of the 6 of us only 2 liked it and the rest just found it ok ish.
    both girls in the group did not like the WW ass shots or boob joke so that was a deal breaker for them I guess.

I give it a c+. I won't pay for it but I would not turn it off once it hits Netflix or TV
    What boob joke. Yeah the ass shots were a little gross but both Arthur and Clark appeared shirtless for the ladies to drool over.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    What boob joke. Yeah the ass shots were a little gross but both Arthur and Clark appeared shirtless for the ladies to drool over.
    Equal opportunity fanservice.

Still on the fence as to whether i'll go see this or not.

It was a drag that an actor a solid as Momoa wound up with a role that dull and bare bones.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    happy Im not the only one that saw that/realized that
    Man, how could you not?

The last time I saw a shot that blatant was that "3D" Texas Chainsaw sequel.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/coco-pix...rd-1202209221/

JL better make it's money this week. Coco just became the highest grossing movie in mexico of all time it's out next week here! It's also getting great reviews. Coco is going to crush JL like a bug! It's needs to make it's money this week.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Ok, since I started the thread, I guess I should chime in now that I've seen the movie.

It was good, not great, but absolutely a must-see at the theater. It had some great moments, however, so I'm not one of those "at least it didn't suck" guys. I was happy and satisfied, and I'm glad I saw it on the big screen. Overall, I'd give it a B to B+ with some satisfying "A" moments.

******************* SPOILERS ********************************

The fight with the resurrected Superman vs. the Justice League was one of the "A" moments for me. Superman is my favorite character, and usually comics writers have to find a way to get Superman out of the way so that the other team members have a chance to actually do something. Here, Superman was in all his glory. As much as Zach Snyder is controversial for a lot of people, I do love the way he portrays Superman at his full power both here and in Man of Steel. The part of the fight where Flash runs up to him and Superman turns his head -- first just his eye -- and Flash sees that Superman can detect him and match his speed was great. Making it clear that Superman is more powerful than Wonder Woman was also great because it would have been so easy to give Diana another gratuitous shining moment, but the reality is that Superman is stronger and there is nothing wrong with showing that. Loved Superman getting the better of Batman and kicking Steppenwolf's ass.

**************************************** SPOILERS END ************************************************** ********************

I thought that the CGI Steppenwolf was actually quite good. Maybe because so many critics trashed him that my expectations were lowered, but I think they were too harsh there. Cavill's mustache being erased was something I could see in a couple of places, but the scenes that they added with him -- like the opening with the cellphone footage and the Superman/Flash race were worth it.

I had heard that Danny Elfman was going to put in a bit of the John Williams Superman theme, and I thought it worked well in the spot it showed up.

I don't mind using Steppenwolf as the villain. Yes, in the comics he's a henchman, but the movie made me believe he was a grade-A baddie. Nobody outside of comics knows who Darkseid is, so for the general audience it's probably 6 of one / half-dozen of the other. Given that the movie did have tons of footage cut and was patched together with Whedon's stuff, it's probably for the best that Darkseid didn't appear because fans might have been more disappointed if they felt he didn't live up to his potential in the final edit.

I think with Justice League, Warners is basically done with Zach Snyder's vision. I think they likely were done with it after the reactions to BvS and SS last year, but because JL was already in production, it was too late to stop the train, so they at least made sure that JL would not be a two-parter as originally planned, so they had a stop the bleeding mentality. I say this having liked both Man of Steel and BvS.

I just think that Zach Snyder as a brand has become radioactive as Mike Carlin would say, and that really nothing would have satisfied the critics who clearly had their knives sharpened and were just waiting to dissect the movie because that low of a rotten tomatoes score is just silly for this movie.

Remember, that there are TWO Rotten Tomatoes scores -- the Critics and the Audience. As I type this, the Critics score is 39% (5.3 out of 10), but the Audience score is 86% (4.3 out of 5)! Come on, that's a crazy disparity, and I don't want to get into the whole "plot against DC" thing, but I just think that the critics have a mindset that if a superhero movie is not like a Marvel movie, then there's something wrong with it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/justice_league_2017

Often, DC movie reviews mention Marvel movies, but the Marvel movie reviews never mention DC movies, so it does seem as though the critics have a myopic mindset there. To me, it's possible to recognize the flaws in both studios (and yes, the Marvel movies all have glaring flaws), and appreciate the positives about each studio (and yes, the DC movies have positives).

So why was Wonder Woman so well received by critics if there's an anti-DC bias?

Well, first Wonder Woman was a legitimately great film. The plot was the plot and I can see why some would shrug their shoulders at it, but I thought that integrating World War One into it made the whole affair more grounded and relatable. Then, Patty Jenkins had a better eye for character than Zach Snyder did. Instead of just having cool moments, Jenkins had lots of good character moments that let us care about Diana and want to follow her on her mission. We saw the good of man's world and the horror of war through Diana's eyes. Jenkins never forgot that Diana needed to be the focus of our attention. And, of course, the No Man's Land sequence was a legitimate lump-in-the-throat moment of triumph for the character.

OK, but beyond that fact that WW was a great film and was helmed by a female, which made it a watershed moment, Wonder Woman had another important thing going for it -- there was no Marvel film like it to compare it to.

If Marvel had been first out of the gate with a super-female film that was done in the funny, quippy Marvel style that the critics wet themselves over, then perhaps Jenkins' Wonder Woman might have been looked on more unfavorably -- it would have been "wrong" in their eyes.

Now, finally, DC has the advantage in that with Wonder Woman being first and setting the benchmark, you will see Bree Larson's Captain Marvel being compared to it, and it will be interesting to see how the critics handle that. For the first time, we might see a Marvel film coming up short against DC.

Being first to market is always a good thing. Who knows, if Zach Snyder's Man of Steel had come out before Iron Man, maybe Iron Man would have looked too frivolous and campy.

Anyway, just remember that Justice League did get an 86% Rotten Tomato score from the general public. That compares quite favorably to Thor: Ragnarok's 89% Audience score, if not to Thor's 92% Critics' score.

As for Box Office, Friday estimates are that Justice League has earned $38 million dollars including Thursday previews. That's what Wonder Woman earned in its first day as well. I think Justice League had a good Saturday as audience turnout was nice at my local theater, but we'll see.

For the record, Wonder Woman had $35.2 million Saturday and $29.7 Sunday. If Justice League can hit those numbers, it will squeak past the $100 million benchmark, so we won't be saturated with those "Justice League disappoints at $95 million" headlines come Monday morning.
    No all of that was really stupid (well except the Batman part). Boy did I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No all of that was really stupid (well except the Batman part). Boy did I hate it.
    Yep. Nothing wrong with showing Superman as a powehouse, but not to the detriment of the rest of the team. Especially Wonder Woman.

The Supes vs everyone else fight was bad enough, but his utter lack of any challenge when facing Steppenwolf was just laughable. Sure for Superman fans (like Synder) who only measure Clark's strength by his... well, strength, then I can see why those fans would be all over this movie. But for more balanced comic book fans - and in terms of the whole point of the film - it was a huge misstep.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Yep. Nothing wrong with showing Superman as a powehouse, but not to the detriment of the rest of the team. Especially Wonder Woman.

The Supes vs everyone else fight was bad enough, but his utter lack of any challenge when facing Steppenwolf was just laughable. Sure for Superman fans (like Synder) who only measure Clark's strength by his... well, strength, then I can see why those fans would be all over this movie. But for more balanced comic book fans - and in terms of the whole point of the film - it was a huge misstep.
    I'm not a Superman fan, but the thing is I can't say what we saw wasn't fairly accurate. With no Green Lantern or Martian Manhuntwr ariund, Superman probably can dominate the league. He usually is portrayed as that strong. And certainly I think he can kick Steppenwolfs butt. I can understand why some felt certain characters looked bad by comparison. .. but I didn't see anything I don't buy. And again I'm not even a Superman fan. This is a guy that on a good day can push planets ... somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    Still on the fence as to whether i'll go see this or not.
    There was a poll at DC section. I posted this in case you haven't checked that.

http://community.comicbookresources....fter-watching)

I would say check it out. You may like it. Personally, i really loved it.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Loved this movie. I'd easily see it again and definitely buying the DVD. Loved the action scenes and I liked the story. Superman was amazing.

I hope this movie gets a sequel. Disney Movies is becoming that piece of chewing gum that tastes great at first, but its seriously losing its flavor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Loved this movie. I'd easily see it again and definitely buying the DVD. Loved the action scenes and I liked the story. Superman was amazing.

I hope this movie gets a sequel. Disney Movies is becoming that piece of chewing gum that tastes great at first, but its seriously losing its flavor
    I think any sequel to this is going to be very different