Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Not necessarily things, but also social roles, possibly less broad ones. The Greeks had room for separate gods for fear and terror after all.
    Panic & Terror: uncontrollable fear felt in the body, and uncontrollable fear felt in the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Panic & Terror: uncontrollable fear felt in the body, and uncontrollable fear felt in the mind.
    Yes, but you see the point, they're both aspects of the broader category.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Himon and Metron might be the gods of technology, at least Metron might be a god of knowledge. They are portrayed like aliens because they have planets somewhere out there. What is difficult for me to characterize are the inhabitants under Supertown or the people trapped on Apokalips. Those seem like mortals from another planet.

I like the idea that they are living ideas and sometimes the form they take seems mortal. Mr. Miracle certainly seems human enough. And as far as the JLA standing up to any gods, I kind of think of them as New Gods in their own right.

And the New Gods are powerful like the Greeks or any other pantheon. I do think of them as the old gods after millennia of war, they evolved just like ideas do.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yes, but you see the point, they're both aspects of the broader category.

No buts! I'm on your side :-) When you start with a broad concept like Fear, you can either go high and find a divinity for every expression, or separate it to develop a family or pantheon for the concept. There's a million fears. Ancient Greeks saw Ares's sons as two distinct "things", Psychologists see it as a single emotion.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 11-23-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Himon and Metron might be the gods of technology, at least Metron might be a god of knowledge. They are portrayed like aliens because they have planets somewhere out there. What is difficult for me to characterize are the inhabitants under Supertown or the people trapped on Apokalips. Those seem like mortals from another planet.

I like the idea that they are living ideas and sometimes the form they take seems mortal. Mr. Miracle certainly seems human enough. And as far as the JLA standing up to any gods, I kind of think of them as New Gods in their own right.

And the New Gods are powerful like the Greeks or any other pantheon. I do think of them as the old gods after millennia of war, they evolved just like ideas do.
    They both do seem to be deities of technology but like you said they could both fall into the knowledge spectrum because Metron is the God of Knowledge (and Intelligence) because its been stated in the DC website and also when Batman took over the Mobius chair and he transforms into a New God who just happened to look similar to Metron because of the LED blue designs on his costume. Himon could be considered as a God of Knowledge but I see him closely as the New Gods' Hepahateus, God of Inventing (and Science).

Having rewatched Wonder Woman again last week, and dwelling on the line about how humanity is Zeus' creation, I think for the sake of the DCEU I'd rather that the gods be merely very powerful metahumans than being gods in the classical sense. Or at the very least, in any future ensemble films, ignore the pantheon.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    and dwelling on the line about how humanity is Zeus' creation,
    Clearly, myths are false. Even in worlds where some myths are true, some are false.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Clearly, myths are false. Even in worlds where some myths are true, some are false.
    But if I recall correctly, that line was said by Ares himself. Maybe he was also lied to?

BANNED

But if I recall correctly, that line was said by Ares himself. Maybe he was also lied to?
    Or maybe Zeus did straight-up create DCEU humanity. Stranger things are believed by real life people.

Maybe he was also lied to?
    As creatures made and fueled by belief, they lie all the time. And they tend to get lost inside of their own lies. You're in for a Sisyphean existence if you're into drawing flat, linear timelines of fictional universes using context taken from divine beings.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Or maybe Zeus did straight-up create DCEU humanity. Stranger things are believed by real life people.
    Like quite a lot of people believe the first woman took dietary advice from a talking snake

Anyways, I dont see there being a problem in maintaining in the DCEU that mankind was indeed created by Zeus, this is a work of fiction after all where Gods actually do walk on the Earth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Like quite a lot of people believe the first woman took dietary advice from a talking snake
    I was thinking about Scientology and flat-earthers and such, but sure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I was thinking about Scientology and flat-earthers and such, but sure.
    You dont need extremes, there is weirdness in all religions.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Anyways, I dont see there being a problem in maintaining in the DCEU that mankind was indeed created by Zeus, this is a work of fiction after all where Gods actually do walk on the Earth.
    For a standalone WW movie, sure, though when you start bringing in other characters perhaps the less said, the better.

If you bend your understanding of what "humanity" means, and meant to the people alive in ancient times, Zeus DID "create the people". Shared worship creates a tribe of individuals, and everyone on the outside of that tribe isn't "humanity". But that's a bent understanding, and not the puzzle piece you're looking for.