View Poll Results: What is the General Consensus on Tom King Batman by Batman fans?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't like Tom King's Batman

51 43.97%
  • I like Tom King's Batman

65 56.03%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

It's worth sticking around for. There have been stints in the Batman series that were neither exciting or engaging that lasted 50 issues or so. Kings Batman has given readers a multitude of engaging storylines in just 30 something. If youre reading the story, you'll be entertained. If you enjoy art, the art has never been disappointing. Its a great run overall, and comparativly, one of the best books DC has right now.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

Yay!

Love the stuff he's done with Selina, and her and Bruce's relationship
    Last edited by Batmaniac; 03-22-2018 at 03:50 PM.
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

Astonishing Member

Mixed feelings. Good things with bad. Don't like as I did Scott Snyder's work on the book and Grant Morrison's run which I LOVE.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batmaniac View Post
    Big fat yay!

Love the stuff he's done with Selina, and her and Bruce's relationship.
    Agreed. I've been waiting years for Bat-Mush on this scale, and the annual provided me with adequate closure that even if it doesn't last I have that to fall back on.

Between The Vision, Mister Miracle, and especially Batman, Tom King is the most exciting writer working in comics today.

I haven't even read his Sheriff of Babylon, Omega Men, or Grayson yet, though I understand they were all very well received.

For those that don't dig his Batman there are a generous lot of other great Batman books by great creators out lately. Like really a lot of them. But it seems like some people want to hang someone for King's run in this thread. To see it only enjoyed by just over half of the fans that took the poll is particularly disappointing since it's been a critical and commercial smash hit while boldly telling entirely new kinds of Batman stories.

I'm sorry to those that aren't enjoying it. To me it's the most exciting run on Batman ever and I've read them all.

Quote Originally Posted by SamGuthrie1977 View Post
    The editors should take most of the blame for this.

Back in the day editors used to do their jobs. They reigned in creators when they became too self-indulgent. Editors used to clarify storytelling by emphasizing story structure and purpose, and they helped to keep creators on task, focused, and helped establish cohesion to the narrative. I don't know what comic editors do nowadays. Play on their iPhones? Watch YouTube? Nod at everything that crosses their desk?

This is lazy, sloppy, incoherent, pretentious, and decompressed to the point of being insulting, and it's been so for 34 issues straight now. It shouldn't be allowed to go off to the printers. This title is ridiculous.
    You would be a bad editor for not allowing a commercially/critically successful book to reach the printers.

I understand your concerns, but this really just comes off as "How dare people like what I don't like!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I still can’t get all this controversy around Bruce almost committing suicide when he was like ten years old. In Snyder’s run, he had Bruce willingly wanting electro shock therapy and having second thoughts at last second. Was that as controversial back then? It’s a sincere question, since I didn’t frecuent cbr community by the time that issue was released and I find it similar to what King did. Personally, I don’t have a problem with either
    I know Miller's Year One was never exactly canon (except for like a hot minute) but his Bruce Wayne was pretty much committing suicide by random thug.

I mean Miller's Bruce Wayne was prepared to bleed out if he couldn't figure out a way to fight crime then and there.

King's not the first guy to notice exactly how far gone one would have to be for something like the "Bat flies in window" bit to be taken as an omen.

Incredible Member

I'm overly selective with which single issue comics I buy and store in my box. Only my favorites.
    Tom's Swamp Thing issue and annual #2 both made it in.

Quote Originally Posted by SamGuthrie1977 View Post
    The editors should take most of the blame for this.

Back in the day editors used to do their jobs. They reigned in creators when they became too self-indulgent. Editors used to clarify storytelling by emphasizing story structure and purpose, and they helped to keep creators on task, focused, and helped establish cohesion to the narrative. I don't know what comic editors do nowadays. Play on their iPhones? Watch YouTube? Nod at everything that crosses their desk?

This is lazy, sloppy, incoherent, pretentious, and decompressed to the point of being insulting, and it's been so for 34 issues straight now. It shouldn't be allowed to go off to the printers. This title is ridiculous.
    The editor would do his job if the lead writer didn't squeeze him out.
    Unsure if the bat office even has an editor

I heard the News about King:

https://www.newsarama.com/37561-batm...its-place.html

Another New Bruce Wayne Origin Story
    ... This time I will not ignore this issue, but I will wait for the reviews for see if I am interested in this or not..
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-30-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I heard the News about King:

https://www.newsarama.com/37561-batm...its-place.html

Another New Bruce Wayne Origin Story
    ... This time I will not ignore this issue, but I will wait for the reviews for see if I am interested in this or not..
    Sounds interesting. but its clearly not a new origin story for Bruce Wayne King hasn't lost his mind. The story is about a Bruce Mirror. Say what you will about King's batman One thing the guy knows how to do is keep it interesting.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Sounds interesting. but its clearly not a new origin story for Bruce Wayne King hasn't lost his mind. The story is about a Bruce Mirror. Say what you will about King's batman One thing the guy knows how to do is keep it interesting.
    Whoever wrote that hasn't been paying attention. Even I knew that this was inserted so that Joelle Jones would be available to draw the wonder woman arc. He explained it on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Between The Vision, Mister Miracle, and especially Batman, Tom King is the most exciting writer working in comics today.
    Maybe that's why I keep buying fewer and fewer comic books these days?

I haven't even read his Sheriff of Babylon, Omega Men, or Grayson yet, . . .
    Grayson wasn't just Tom King, however. Both he and Tim Seeley were the writers on that, which is why I was initially interested in Batman.
    (But just reading issue#1 was enough for me to stop buying that book regularly!)

For those that don't dig his Batman there are a generous lot of other great Batman books by great creators out lately. Like really a lot of them.
    Unfortunately, I don't really like any of the writers who have been responsible for the main-continuity Bat-books under Rebirth (King, Snyder, Tynion, or Orlando), and I didn't buy any of the Metal one-issue tie-ins because I've had no interest in Snyder's Metal. Basically, DC is keeping me away from their Rebirth Batman.

Enjoy what you like; I'll pass on the crap that DC serves up for Batman these days.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 11-30-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    You would be a bad editor for not allowing a commercially/critically successful book to reach the printers.

I understand your concerns, but this really just comes off as "How dare people like what I don't like!"
    I wish we could "like" posts here. This is a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe that's why I keep buying fewer and fewer comic books these days?

Grayson wasn't just Tom King, however. Both he and Tim Seeley were the writers on that, which is why I was initially interested in Batman.
    (But just reading issue#1 was enough for me to stop buying that book regularly!)

Unfortunately, I don't really like any of the writers who have been responsible for the main-continuity Bat-books under Rebirth (King, Snyder, Tynion, or Orlando), and I didn't buy any of the Metal one-issue tie-ins because I've had no interest in Snyder's Metal. Basically, DC is keeping me away from their Rebirth Batman.

Enjoy what you like; I'll pass on the crap that DC serves up for Batman these days.
    I don't know that DC can do much better wrt creators on Batman books, but I am sincerely sorry you're not enjoying any of them. I hope there will be something soon from DC that you do enjoy. I'm having a total renaissance as a Batman fan and I wish the same for all my fellow fans. But if you don't like something, there's no changing that. All responses to art are subjective and if you don't like it, to you it's no good. And that's not subjective for YOU. As it wouldn't be for me if I felt differently than the majority. Typically I do. DC's just been pushing all the right fan buttons for me lately, especially Tom King's stuff. I do genuinely hope there's a new series or new creators on a book you used to love that will lead to you being able to enjoy more comics. That's the name of the game, after all.

It's a lot more fun to enjoy the books than not (I've been in your shoes; everyone has) so I just wish you well on that front. I wouldn't try to talk you into loving something you actively dislike.