Default Alan Scott vs Quasar

Post crisis Scott before he gets the full starheart. Classic Wendell Vaughn

I feel like this is as coin flip-ish as Vaughan vs any of the top lanterns would be.

(Full Starheart, energy being who bleeds only because he thinks he should Scott is a different story)

Astonishing Member

I dunno, Quasar never seemed to have the...ahem...endurance problems the Lanterns seemed to run into.

I think Alan is a better fighter than Wendell and will have more imagination.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

If it's post-Crisis Scott, he'll definitely have the edge on experience sure, but Wendell seems (I think) to have more trouble concentrating on creating constructs as well, going by the times he fought the Imperial Guard and during Busiek's Avengers. Plus, even without the full Starheart, Scott's power ring is magical by default, which is something the Quantum Bands have trouble against. I feel like Scott takes this pretty handily.

Vaughn desperately needs better and more recent feats anyway. He's one of those heroes that I really want to like but he's just so generic and bland and milquetoast that it's hard to be a fan. He's always said to be one of the Avengers' heavy hitters but is typically written more like a supporting character than anything else.
    Last edited by Cyke; 11-13-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    If it's post-Crisis Scott, he'll definitely have the edge on experience sure, but Wendell seems (I think) to have more trouble concentrating on creating constructs as well, going by the times he fought the Imperial Guard and during Busiek's Avengers. Plus, even without the full Starheart, Scott's power ring is magical by default, which is something the Quantum Bands have trouble against. I feel like Scott takes this pretty handily.

Vaughn desperately needs better and more recent feats anyway. He's one of those heroes that I really want to like but he's just so generic and bland and milquetoast that it's hard to be a fan. He's always said to be one of the Avengers' heavy hitters but is typically written more like a supporting character than anything else.
    You are seriously lowballing Quasar, who has done stuff like essentially send out networks of monitoring satellites across the universe as far as the constructs he's created, created force domes that have held off a collected assault from Thor, the Hulk, Thing, Hercules, Cyclops and a variety of others (including Havok, the Human Torch, Classic Rogue, Colossus..) created long term energy lattices with sensory powers around the entire planet with little to no effort, zapped people with lightspeed delivered bursts (not he himself is that fast, he rigged the zap to go that fast once fired) that were triggered to on impact create a construct around them, as in the construct was a pre existing package he embedded in an energy zap.. guy has redirected and transformed blasts from the Rachel Summers Phoenix even when still basically a rookie, he has mastery enough of his own constructs to do things like shift their viscosity...

The guy has made a variety of elaborate or just simply really huge or powerful constructs with little to no effort, and maintained them similarly. If anything one of his edges construct wise is that in a lot of cases his constructs are basically fire and forget, in that he doesn't need to especially do anything or concentrate or the like for them to keep going once he makes them.

As idle one offs he's done things like make constructs the size of skyscrapers to hit things with, without any grand effort or "concentration difficulty" (the gigantic cosmic being then bounced it, but that was a note of their own power).

He has a considerable collection of impressive feats and performances of which those are basically just a light sampling. You seem to have basically went with "based on the lowest possible performances I can possibly cite.."

He's always said to be one of the Avengers' heavy hitters but is typically written more like a supporting character than anything else.
    His own series is full of solid performances. Outside of it, Waid had him be integral to the starving Galactus depowering move the FF pulled off. Even Busiek had him be the guy to be hooked up to absorb the energies of Ego the Living Planet when no one else could, including the Silver Surfer.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 11-13-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I dunno, Quasar never seemed to have the...ahem...endurance problems the Lanterns seemed to run into.
    Alan Scott doesn't really have that particular problem

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    You are seriously lowballing Quasar, who has done stuff like essentially send out networks of monitoring satellites across the universe as far as the constructs he's created, created force domes that have held off a collected assault from Thor, the Hulk, Thing, Hercules, Cyclops and a variety of others (including Havok, the Human Torch, Classic Rogue, Colossus..) created long term energy lattices with sensory powers around the entire planet with little to no effort, zapped people with lightspeed delivered bursts (not he himself is that fast, he rigged the zap to go that fast once fired) that were triggered to on impact create a construct around them, as in the construct was a pre existing package he embedded in an energy zap.. guy has redirected and transformed blasts from the Rachel Summers Phoenix even when still basically a rookie, he has mastery enough of his own constructs to do things like shift their viscosity...

The guy has made a variety of elaborate or just simply really huge or powerful constructs with little to no effort, and maintained them similarly. If anything one of his edges construct wise is that in a lot of cases his constructs are basically fire and forget, in that he doesn't need to especially do anything or concentrate or the like for them to keep going once he makes them.

As idle one offs he's done things like make constructs the size of skyscrapers to hit things with, without any grand effort or "concentration difficulty" (the gigantic cosmic being then bounced it, but that was a note of their own power).

He has a considerable collection of impressive feats and performances of which those are basically just a light sampling. You seem to have basically went with "based on the lowest possible performances I can possibly cite.."
    Yeah, well, it's all I got for now until I can start reading up more on him. But there's still the issue of the Quantum Bands faring poorly against magical attacks anyway.

I just remember wanting to see better things from him in the 90s, and then I gave up when he bit off way more than he could chew in Annihilation and paid the ultimate price for it (yeah yeah, I know he got better. But still).
    Last edited by Cyke; 11-13-2017 at 02:04 PM.

The magic problem is itself variably portrayed. The guy once overloaded and blew up the Absorbing Man, whose powers are themselves magical.

I just remember wanting to see better things from him in the 90s, and then I gave up when he bit off way more than he could chew in Annihilation and paid the ultimate price for it (yeah yeah, I know he got better. But still).
    A bunch of his really powerful showings that I'm noting were in the 90s, and Annihilation was years and years after that. So.. don't know what to tell you.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 11-13-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    So.. don't know what to tell you.
    Well, you can tell me anything as long as they're sweet nothings in my ear.

You can try, but you'll never top arm floaters Hercules. That was your Mona Lisa.

They can't all be winners. But a true artist never stops trying to top himself!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    They can't all be winners. But a true artist never stops trying to top himself!
    Complete tangent here but where i'm from "top yourself" doesn't mean what I think you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfo View Post
    Complete tangent here but where i'm from "top yourself" doesn't mean what I think you mean.
    Well, if I could create constructs...