Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I would figure Diet Cola Skyfather isn’t not apt (double meg. Sorry), but I’ve always been kind of hazy on what Skyfather actually indicates.
    I've always looked at Skyfather as "not quite God (big G)".

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    didn't dormammu require the evil eye or some such type of powerful mystic tool to merge the dimensions just like thanos needing the IG?
    It definitely seemed that way near the end of the Avengers-Defenders War. Maybe it was a more powerful version of his innate ability to convert places into the Dark Dimension? I vaguely remember some Marvel heroes getting turned into monsters in Avengers #118.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I've always looked at Skyfather as "not quite God (big G)".
    G-Cthulhu ?

Yea I'm pretty top end.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Most likely. Depends where we put actual Skyfathers with regards to Eternity.

Eternity here not actually being THREATENED, but worried about the collateral.
    When Odin is basically the skyfather gold standard, it's a bridge too far. He himself is nowhere really near Eternity. He's sub Galactus.

Absolutely. We are, however, talking about a single being going into an entire universe and rewriting all of its laws into What I Say Goes. Which is kind of a tad harder than just blowing the place up, maybe (maybe not, but more complex, sure).

And he has feats of, enraged, tearing his own universe apart as collateral from his tantrum, only stopping because he regains control.
    Sure, but again, my point is such things are special circumstances. The Dark Dimension particularly is to Dormammu as Mephisto's hell is to Mephisto. A realm they have a specific link to and power over to mess with. It doesn't exactly have a transfer over to their actual power to screw with people directly beyond it.

Actually, I’m now leaning towards calling bullshit on my own initial stance in this thread.

Do I think Dormammu is at Odin’s level outside the Dark Dimension? No. Do I think he’s well above the Thanos/Sentry/maybe-Genis/maybe-High-Evolutionary/maybe-Terminus level? Yup.

You know who else is sub-Odin but well above Thanos? Every. Other. Skyfather. Based on feats (and no, a prolonged bit of grappling between Zeus and Odin does not make them equals), Odin is just bloody better than the other Skyfathers.

If I were listing Skyfather-level people in Marvel, I’d be looking at Odin, Zeus, Osiris (who frankly has dick apart from a seat at the table in terms of feats), a couple of others from that shot of them all meeting up, Surtur, Ymir, Set, probably a couple of Elder Gods like Naga and Chthon, possibly Hela and Pluto at the lower end, possibly a couple of the more powerful Elders of the Universe, Tyrant maybe (again, at the lower end), probably The Stranger and yeah, The Dorm *finger guns*. There’s a range.

And yeah, Skyfathers shouldn’t be making any discernible impact to Eternity. Skyfather < Celestial < Galactus < Eternity/Death.

I know everyone harks back to the Cosmic Headbutt of Doom, but ultimately all Odin (the aforementioned Skyfather Gold Standard) achieved was to knock himself the **** out and break Galactus’ hat. He doesn’t belong in fights against Big G.
    Last edited by Beadle; 11-12-2017 at 01:44 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Beagle basically hit the salient points for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    When Odin is basically the skyfather gold standard, it's a bridge too far. He himself is nowhere really near Eternity. He's sub Galactus.
    I’m rather cool with that, and shall revise - Furnace Face is powerful enough on the cosmic scale that Eternity chats with him and is worried about fallout if the Dorm goes at him.

Sure, but again, my point is such things are special circumstances. The Dark Dimension particularly is to Dormammu as Mephisto's hell is to Mephisto. A realm they have a specific link to and power over to mess with. It doesn't exactly have a transfer over to their actual power to screw with people directly beyond it.
    I get you on this. We’re still talking about a guy who, unlike Mephisto, goes into places, whips the universe around and MAKES it into his realm. That he can then blow the entire universe if he so chooses. One might argue that it’s his place, but he had, at one time, wandered into that place and made it his. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Outside of his realm? He STILL craps all over Strange, barring specific instances where he screwed up (that ego!) and broke a mystic oath.

Again, well-beyond Thanos. Beyond Mephisto. As I understand, he creates beings like Satannish, who are ridiculously powerful in their own right, more powerful than Classic Strange, entities who have their own entreaties. Etc.

He’s pretty high up the pay grade.

Mileage may vary, and since I don’t know a lot about the DC side, I can’t comment on who wins. But the Dorm is the kind of guy you don’t let in the front door of your universe, because he’ll wreck the place.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Beagle? BEAGLE??!!! Et tu, Andpointies?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    But the Dorm is the kind of guy you don’t let in the front door of your universe, because he’ll wreck the place.
    And he turns up with Abraxas yelling “TOGA! TOGA!”

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Question: Is The Dread Rorkannu canon to the 616 Marvel Universe, and if so, is there any actual relation between him and the Dorm?

Technically he’s canon. But since he rules the Dank Dimension (as opposed to the Dark Dimension) I suppose you’d say he was an other-dimensional veryweaksauce equivalent of the Dorm.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

As much as I love Nextwave, I doubt it is Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Don’t you dare deny me Smoking Jacket Devil Dinosaur!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Beagle? BEAGLE??!!! Et tu, Andpointies?
    ...phone autocorrect.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    It's actually canon.

It's directly referenced in Al Ewing's run of The Mighty Avengers.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Technically he’s canon. But since he rules the Dank Dimension (as opposed to the Dark Dimension) I suppose you’d say he was an other-dimensional veryweaksauce equivalent of the Dorm.
    Does he hold great power over memes?