Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default As a Thor Fan did you like Thor Ragnarok more due to what's happening in comics?

While I am pretty sure I would have loved the film regardless of what was happening in the comics, Ragnarok was a lot more enjoyable to me right now because for the last few years we have been handed a story where Odinson loses his hammer and basically becomes a drunken loser who doesn't feel worthy of his name. Where as the movie Thor doesn't wallow in self pity and basically becomes even more dangerous without the hammer. Right now the comics have made the hammer essentially the equivalent of a green lantern ring and they make it as though the hammer makes the hero. When Odin basically told him you aren't called thor "god of hammers"I almost cheered which I pretty much never do during movies.

My question is this as thor fans did you enjoy ragnarok more because of the current comics story line or am I just reading way too much into it?
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit beforehand, and now I enjoy it more remembering that line. A nice little swipe at the comics.

Nope. Love Aarons run and loved Ragnarok. There's room for both stories in the long run.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

The books didn't color my perception of the film in anyway, but I must admit it does feel like the film makers have a better understanding of what makes these characters work than the current writers and editors of the comics do.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    The books didn't color my perception of the film in anyway, but I must admit it does feel like the film makers have a better understanding of what makes these characters work than the current writers and editors of the comics do.
    They also have different goals going into things.

Thor's solo movie is supposed to make people love, appreciate, and come out of it thinking Thor is an awesome and compelling protagonist.

Right now in the comics that's what they're doing with Jane, so Thor's been relegated to mostly serving or being the counterpoint to her story.

I'm not even reading the current Thor books and won't until the real Thor begins to take on a more prominent role in the book.

Raganorok is a better portrayal of Thor than the comics have given of him in a loonnnggg time. It's almost as if....and I know this couldn't be possible...the writer's of the movie had a better idea of what (at least some) Thor fans wanted than the writer's of the books.

Loved the movie. Simply loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Thor's solo movie is supposed to make people love, appreciate, and come out of it thinking Thor is an awesome and compelling protagonist.

Right now in the comics that's what they're doing with Jane, so Thor's been relegated to mostly serving or being the counterpoint to her story.
    This says it all.

Also: The Movie killed off the warriors three and made Thor not even mention it while Lady Sif doesn't even show up.

I liked the movie but that was pretty damn out of character for Thor no matter how you look at it.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 11-07-2017 at 01:47 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    While I am pretty sure I would have loved the film regardless of what was happening in the comics, Ragnarok was a lot more enjoyable to me right now because for the last few years we have been handed a story where Odinson loses his hammer and basically becomes a drunken loser who doesn't feel worthy of his name. Where as the movie Thor doesn't wallow in self pity and basically becomes even more dangerous without the hammer. Right now the comics have made the hammer essentially the equivalent of a green lantern ring and they make it as though the hammer makes the hero. When Odin basically told him you aren't called thor "god of hammers"I almost cheered which I pretty much never do during movies.

My question is this as thor fans did you enjoy ragnarok more because of the current comics story line or am I just reading way too much into it?
    I thought the opening sequence with Surtur was the BEST Thor fight we had ever seen with the hammer. I mean it was just frakking awesome.

I don't entirely agree that the hammer makes the hero, though I suppose that is almost the exact truth for Jane because she it literally provides her powers. But frak yes it was great that we didn't spend half of the movie with Thor getting drunk and wallowing like we have had to endure for YEARS in the comic book.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Or Jane is the counterpoint to his. A rather extended counterpoint, but still only a chapter in the saga of the God of Thunder.

At the end of the day, as compelling a character as Jane is - the book is about Thor.

And Thor is Thor.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Nope. Love Aarons run and loved Ragnarok. There's room for both stories in the long run.
    Yep, this. No problem loving and appreciating both.

As someone else noted, the movie and the comic have different goals.

Also, the movies are - at best - going to spend about eight to ten hours or so with Thor when all is said and done. A very brief amount of time, all told. The comics on the other hand have already spent decades with him and will likely go on to spend decades more telling his story. That means there's room to shake things up and to tell long term storylines that take the character places that the films would never have time for and to add to the greater mythology of Thor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    ...the movies are - at best - going to spend about eight to ten hours or so with Thor when all is said and done. A very brief amount of time, all told. The comics on the other hand have already spent decades with him...
    Sometimes it feels like this current story has been going on for decades...

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I like how the destruction of Mjolnir sort of mirrors the events of Original Sin without getting bogged down in comics continuity of other people transforming into Thor that hasn't been established. I thought it was a nice nod to the current Odinson situation.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Sometimes it feels like this current story has been going on for decades...
    I suspect anyone who says that is someone who hasn't been reading it at all and has simply been waiting for the "real Thor" to come back.

Those of us who have been reading it and loving it have appreciated the time spent.

semaj

I am a big Thor fan from way back and didn't care for the movie...at all. Loki was too weak, for my taste and Thor to commercialized. I can't imagine the Thor I grew up with yelling "Oh my God!" as he did in the movie. It's an oxy moron. I liked Hela and I liked the fact that Hulk is finally talking (even in broken English) and not grunting as he does in so many of these movies. But I have to admit I am a harsh critic and most Thor comics I have are 12-35 cents since I stopped collecting a long time ago...

Can't say I'm reading or kept up with what's going on with Thor in comics atm. However, Ragnarok was the most I've enjoyed MCU Thor by a large margin.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher