I will begin this by saying that I am a big fan of the idea of Thor getting back his hammer.

That said, Jane Foster has been and continues to be a compelling character. The battle she fought in her home title against the Shiar Gods, Dick and She-Dick, was (IMO) EPIC and really showed the essence of true heroism.

So here we have two characters, two women, two bad-ass powerhouses.

And I am TOLD that one of the is the greatest hero in the Marvel Universe.

But then I SEE that the other one, the one swinging the hammer, BEING that kind of hero that could actually rise to that level.

This is the thing that really irks me, and makes me feel sorry for Carol Danvers as a character. She has been pushed so hard, dragged through Civil War #2 (and the first one) and kinda trashed. Her own book, which I have bought every volume of since after House of M has floundered as she is hyped as the being the #1 hero in the MU, has not been a great read. I quit the latest volume about four issues in when it seemed to me that no serious character development after CW2 was forthcoming [and yet they cancelled Spider-Woman. Seriously, what the hell?]

But the thing that irks me even more than Jane Foster could die soon in relative obscurity, while being the written as the kind of hero that Carol seems to constantly try to be but which Jane achieves WITHOUT TRYING AT ALL.

I mean, here is a woman who is literally dying every time she picks up the hammer. The cancer eating away her life cannot be cured while she is turning back and forth from goddess to mortal. And she knows that, but every time its needed she never hesitates to grab Mjolnir and go. She hates that Thor doesn't have the hammer, but she doesn't let that stop her using it to defend the weak. Her heart is so big it makes mine ache!

People ask "Who is the Wonder Woman of the MU". It is Jane. For my money it is Jane, hands down no question at all. Aaron has taken this character and had her outshine every and all competition in that regard. I would rate her alongside Captain America, Spider-Man, and Thor as one of the most truly heroic characters of any Marvel title. In my mind she stands as their equal in every way.

All without apparently trying.

Just my opinion.