Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Jane Thor vs Carol Danvers

I will begin this by saying that I am a big fan of the idea of Thor getting back his hammer.

That said, Jane Foster has been and continues to be a compelling character. The battle she fought in her home title against the Shiar Gods, Dick and She-Dick, was (IMO) EPIC and really showed the essence of true heroism.

So here we have two characters, two women, two bad-ass powerhouses.

And I am TOLD that one of the is the greatest hero in the Marvel Universe.

But then I SEE that the other one, the one swinging the hammer, BEING that kind of hero that could actually rise to that level.

This is the thing that really irks me, and makes me feel sorry for Carol Danvers as a character. She has been pushed so hard, dragged through Civil War #2 (and the first one) and kinda trashed. Her own book, which I have bought every volume of since after House of M has floundered as she is hyped as the being the #1 hero in the MU, has not been a great read. I quit the latest volume about four issues in when it seemed to me that no serious character development after CW2 was forthcoming [and yet they cancelled Spider-Woman. Seriously, what the hell?]

But the thing that irks me even more than Jane Foster could die soon in relative obscurity, while being the written as the kind of hero that Carol seems to constantly try to be but which Jane achieves WITHOUT TRYING AT ALL.

I mean, here is a woman who is literally dying every time she picks up the hammer. The cancer eating away her life cannot be cured while she is turning back and forth from goddess to mortal. And she knows that, but every time its needed she never hesitates to grab Mjolnir and go. She hates that Thor doesn't have the hammer, but she doesn't let that stop her using it to defend the weak. Her heart is so big it makes mine ache!

People ask "Who is the Wonder Woman of the MU". It is Jane. For my money it is Jane, hands down no question at all. Aaron has taken this character and had her outshine every and all competition in that regard. I would rate her alongside Captain America, Spider-Man, and Thor as one of the most truly heroic characters of any Marvel title. In my mind she stands as their equal in every way.

All without apparently trying.

Just my opinion.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

JAne is great and I have no doubt when Thor gets his hammer back she will be taken care of ala Beta Ray Bill but Carol has a very impressive resume of her own.

Spectacular Member

Jane's book is better written. Carol has been lumped with C-list talent and Marvel wonders why her book remains a C-list book. She needs a star to help her break out.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garbledarber View Post
    Jane's book is better written. Carol has been lumped with C-list talent and Marvel wonders why her book remains a C-list book. She needs a star to help her break out.
    That is definitely the deciding factor, and it comes down to the ethos of the character.

For a decade now Carol has obsessed over showing everyone she is the best there is. To the point where you figure it must be the writers north star for her characterization.

Aaron just show Jane being a hero. A character who is carrying around a hammer that defines worthiness and she never really worries about it. She just does what she thinks is right to help others, while still retaining a sense of self as Jane Foster [enjoying punching out Odin for all the crap he gave her, knocking Loki's head off for same].

If writers just gave up on trying to PUSH who good Carol is and showed her, like we see with Jane without it ever being mentioned, then Carol might have half a chance. As it is Jane is out front by a league.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

I'd love to see Aaron on Captain Marvel just because of what he did with Jane. Not even that though, the guy is a fan drawer and his writing typically is really good. I'd feel we'd get a more up there Carol whose not fighting characters like Black Widow or Spiderwoman but heck giving characters like Glads or Jane herself a run. After Civil War 2 was a perfect time to start playing Carol up but.. Mystique chair wielding lookalikes is the direction Stohl decided to go in. Hell imagine a Kree/Shiar war Carol gets dragged into. Or teamups and appearances in other books like Jen's Hulk book or Doctor Strange.

I'd honestly would take Bendis over Stohl.

Carol is an adult to. Who as Ms Marvel never tried to really ever prove herself to people and Garner attention like that. This characterization of hers where she needs to prove she's "Earth's mightiest hero" needs to go.

At least Carol taking over her identity didn't lead to Mar-Vell being deemed "unworthy" or thrown under the bus.

Carol has the power of the YAAAS QUEEN. Jane could never.

That is a tricky question. We are talking two sides of the same coin here. Jane as Thor is very much a revisiting of the early Thor concept, which is itself a development of Fawcett Captain Marvel. So both are modern twists on earlier mythic archetypes. In general I am a huge fan of Thor as an ongoing title, but I did love the early Kelly Sue issues, which expressed that aspiring hero dynamic better than any modern book has. As a run I think Aaron's story is more engaging and more nuanced. Carol's unique selling point seems to get lost occasionally, and she ends up being written as a generic hero.

I really hope the upcoming movie can establish Carol's fascinating core, and build upon her history in an interesting way. Unfortunately the casting for Jane will never lead to a great movie unless maybe they change the story/character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At least Carol taking over her identity didn't lead to Mar-Vell being deemed "unworthy" or thrown under the bus.
    To be fair, Mar-Vell died over 35 years. And at least four other people used the Capt Marvel name before Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    To be fair, Mar-Vell died over 35 years. And at least four other people used the Capt Marvel name before Carol.
    True, but that's probably why there was less of an issue when Carol took over, since all the other Marvel's were either long-dead or had new codenames by the same time she picked up the mantel (and she also isn't marketed that much as a legacy hero in my opinion since Mar-Vell only rarely comes up).

Ultimate Member

True, but that's probably why there was less of an issue when Carol took over, since all the other Marvel's were either long-dead or had new codenames by the same time she picked up the mantel (and she also isn't marketed that much as a legacy hero in my opinion since Mar-Vell only rarely comes up).
    It's kind of ironic that Carol is a spin off/legacy of Mar-Vell and has eclipsed him and Kamala is Carol's legacy who has eclipsed her.

still Carol for me.

don't care much about Jane Plotser.

Extraordinary Member

Like I said, I am well and truly ready for Thor to have Mjolnir back. This wallowing in self pity has gone on long enough.

But for me that doesn't change the fact that Jane has been heroic in swinging the hammer.

And quite frankly, what they have done with Carol in the last five years makes me nostalgic for the previous Captain Marvel. I would hardly say the writing has done the legacy any justice.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Like I said, I am well and truly ready for Thor to have Mjolnir back. This wallowing in self pity has gone on long enough.

But for me that doesn't change the fact that Jane has been heroic in swinging the hammer.

And quite frankly, what they have done with Carol in the last five years makes me nostalgic for the previous Captain Marvel. I would hardly say the writing has done the legacy any justice.
    You're nostalgic for Noh-Varr?

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I haven't found Carol or her book to be interesting since she stopped being Ms Marvel. It's JaneThor for me.