View Poll Results: Should Polaris get a more prominent role?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! She should join Jean in X-men Blue

30 23.81%
  • Yes! She should headline an Uncanny X-men relaunch

29 23.02%
  • Sure, but Id prefer her on a rebooted X-Factor

37 29.37%
  • Sure, but I have another idea for her (write in thread)

8 6.35%
  • They should make her a villian.

7 5.56%
  • No, the character has never appealed to me

15 11.90%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    My first thought was rebooted xfactor but she needs more exposure and be exposed to the general xmen fans who usually just buy xmen titled books so i went with Polaris for xmen blue, unless they give us xmen green which she would fit perfectly.

I think she will be further developed if Magneto will be away from the xbooks or be the new headmistress and lead the generation x, since uhm Emma is prolly back as a villain who should lead the new inner circle and bigger than before.
    The disappointing thing about Marvel, and especially Bunn's writing of Polaris on Blue, is that Lorna getting real effort into her development shouldn't require Magneto going away. They should both be able to have a strong presence on X-books and both have strong moments that don't undermine the other, especially when they're on the same page. In the hands of a good writer, there's no reason the two can't be around simultaneously.

Honestly, a huge chunk of the reason I want Lorna off Blue right now if things don't change for the better is that I don't want their potential together ruined. I don't want to see "if Magneto is around then Polaris can't be around" and vice versa. I don't want to see the writing I've seen on Blue result in their relationship becoming so toxic that they need to remain separated for years to a decade to fix the damage done to it. I'd like Bunn to be better than this. But if he can't be, if his fandom for Magneto and his year-long work on the Magneto solo have creatively blinded him, then it's better for him to not use her. Let someone else write her, and let that someone else use Magneto too. Do what he can't.

I don't want Magneto to be an obstacle to Lorna's potential, or vice versa. Recent writing is turning him into one, and I don't like it one bit.
    Last edited by salarta; 11-12-2017 at 02:55 AM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I do not see why not.

She and Havok deserved more.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    The disappointing thing about Marvel, and especially Bunn's writing of Polaris on Blue, is that Lorna getting real effort into her development shouldn't require Magneto going away. They should both be able to have a strong presence on X-books and both have strong moments that don't undermine the other, especially when they're on the same page. In the hands of a good writer, there's no reason the two can't be around simultaneously.

Honestly, a huge chunk of the reason I want Lorna off Blue right now if things don't change for the better is that I don't want their potential together ruined. I don't want to see "if Magneto is around then Polaris can't be around" and vice versa. I don't want to see the writing I've seen on Blue result in their relationship becoming so toxic that they need to remain separated for years to a decade to fix the damage done to it. I'd like Bunn to be better than this. But if he can't be, if his fandom for Magneto and his year-long work on the Magneto solo have creatively blinded him, then it's better for him to not use her. Let someone else write her, and let that someone else use Magneto too. Do what he can't.

I don't want Magneto to be an obstacle to Lorna's potential, or vice versa. Recent writing is turning him into one, and I don't like it one bit.
    The root of the problem goes back to Magneto Last Days and is actually much less pronounced now then it was then though both haven't been doing much period to date on Blue so for me I am giving two more issues of Blue to re-evaluate. Frankly he came at it from the start when it comes to the philosophy and ideas angle centered on the prospective not from both characters history, but only from Magneto's history that here is Magneto a traumatized character with a very dark and nasty history who does what is necessary for the protection of people, mutants above all.

I am a bit a writer myself on my spare time so I could see with very clear eyes what went wrong. He took into account Lorna and Magneto's emotional history that she wants to be apart of his life and he when push comes to shove puts his war to save mutants (in the case of Last Days to save everyone) above her and doesn't want to lose her to it. That was spot on and if he left it there he had the conflict set up and something in character for both characters.

So he nailed overarching emotional context of their relationship from the start, but he failed at getting Lorna's own philosophical complexity right to date pretty thoroughly, I will just say unlike you I am still buying Blue and plan to through at least issue 16 and have seen some small signs of improvement though if he stays fixed on the lighter side of her father theory irrespective of where her father is at or her history I will drop the title after 16.

Magneto and Lorna interaction is highly interesting not because their blood related, but because they are both hard headed complex characters with extremely dark histories who could like Lorna did with Xavier argue all day on matters and agree in areas, disagree in areas, but if one is too fixated on contrasting and foiling though instead of looking at both their histories ones story between the two is going to fail.

Here is the other problem which I am sure you are aware in that lets say Lorna appears on Jean's x-book. There is a not small chance if its just as Jean's buddy her views, philosophy and morality will be changed utterly to fit where Jean is at whatever that may be. You mentioned Jean light and yes Lorna appears as Jean's best bud fighting alongside her on the title there is a high chance of that turn.

Lorna's main problem in coming years in the comics is not and will not be Bunn though who I would broadly agree is a Magneto fan as am I, but one who hasn't gotten Lorna's own depth and complexity right yet. It comes mainly from 90s nostalgia who see Lorna as the mother hen of the B/C listers and a green haired Jean (typically with her own Summers brother at her side telling her what she should do and telling others what her views are).

The issues with Bunn's characterization of her can be fixed and there are some signs he has started doing so, though I am looking for alot more. The 1990s green haired Jean concept can't be improved upon unlike Bunn's depiction and its a total dead end that Lorna will most likely default to either Jean's very very similar buddy but with green hair on Red or the green haired Jean on a new X-Factor.

I am content with slow improvement and if no signs of it come soon I will support her being limboed until something comes along that can do her justice, but don't think that I don't see a massive threat in demanding Lorna no longer get written by Bunn period now when I feel he is starting to better get a handle on her because there is a high chance she ends up in a far worse state and yes you lectured to me constantly that I should be demanding perfection now not 'it could be worse' and you have never accepted I don't do that. I ask for progress while also taking into account if things are starting to improve or not.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-12-2017 at 06:31 AM.

I honestly don't think it should have taken a tv show for her to get a push. She has always been interesting but yeah now is a good time as any.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I don't care what's the name of the book, but she needs to lead the reconstruction of Genosha. I want Utopia done better, a book about a nation focused on human-mutant unity and what that would mean to the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't care what's the name of the book, but she needs to lead the reconstruction of Genosha. I want Utopia done better, a book about a nation focused on human-mutant unity and what that would mean to the rest of the world.
    Genosha is laying in pieces at the bottom of the ocean, so there’s really nothing to reconstruct..

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Genosha is laying in pieces at the bottom of the ocean, so there’s really nothing to reconstruct..
    Genosha is an idea at this point of a mutant Israel not a piece of actual real estate be it under the ocean (it is actually no problem at all on paper for Lorna to make or retrieve an Island) or anywhere else. Why Utopia was no Genosha is that Magneto, Lorna and Pietro on Genosha had to manage a mutant and human population living together that hated each other.

There were humans in Genoshan cabinet along side Lorna and Pietro. Creating the balance between holding it together with a boot and holding it together with other more consent of the governed means and topics like integration vs segregation to keep sides together or apart gave the late 90s and early 2000s Genosha story warts an all much greater interest to me then all the Utopia stuff.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-12-2017 at 08:24 AM.

BANNED

Don't have the time right now, to REALLY get into this the way I would like, but suffice it to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    ... yes, she definitely needs to get a push in the comics. She deserves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanGreyForever View Post
    Yes! This is long overdue. ...
    ... about sums it up for me, naturally. And not the least bit surprisingly either, I'm sure, lol. Haven't voted yet, as I can't decide, and am wavering between at least 2 of the options. Would be more than OK with any of the first 4 tho, honestly, to varying degrees.

Have MUCH more to say on this, of course, and will plan on doing so ASAP! Once again tho, cannot stress enough:

... OBVIOUSLY!

Can never offer enough:

... IMO, where Lorna's concerned - GREAT character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Lorna should get a push along with several other characters, but just because one character gets a push doesn't automatically mean that they're bashing another character to do it, and Lorna has been around a lot longer than Laura so it's only natural that in the many writers that have written her some wouldn't do as well as others, it'll happen to Laura just give it time...not sure if Lorna headlining a book would sell well enough at the moment, and imho for her to really shine she'd have to leave Blue and Magneto's side, and no not to just go wherever Alex is either, Wanda and Pietro really came into their own as Avengers apart from Magneto not bolted to his side every second of the day...

Taking Wanda and Pietro from Magneto wasn't a good thing. It was forgettable. All their tv shows and media except for the Avengers movies are connected to Magneto. The Wanda solo was kind of ridiculous with her new mother and weird magic tales..when she was Magneto's daughter, she was damn near the most pivotal and important female comic character in Marvel since 2005. Her arc changed in Marvel for years until that A v X situation where they had her and Hope finally fix the problem Bendis started in "Decimation".

Quicksilver is pretty much a legit wimp post Magneto "is not my father" reveal..he always whined about Magneto being the cause of his issues. That doesn't exist anymore. So they made him a C list nobody in Uncanny Avengers every month. Passed up by Rogue and Deadpool with ease. Hilarious.

That doesn't need to happen with Lorna Dane. You go ask the actress known as Emma Dumont who is the one character from comics she wants Lorna to interact with and the answer is obvious. Now you can go from that in the books but connecting with Iceman is boring and has been boring in the past. Now they got him filling out an agenda instead of being naturally developed. Sad. Last thing anyone needs is for the goodwill that Lorna has received from the show to be bogged down with that kind of crap. Making Lorna weak and super friendly like Sue Richards and those types is vomit inducing.

BANNED

Pairing Lorna with Jean in Red could make for an interesting redux of the Xavier-Magneto dynamic.

Its not like it cant be raised up. Astreoid M was at the bottom of the ocean until it was raised and turned into Utopia

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its not like it cant be raised up. Astreoid M was at the bottom of the ocean until it was raised and turned into Utopia
    Magneto blew it to pieces. It’d require more than just raising it up.

I like the idea of a mutant nation, but they’d have to do it somewhere new.

My opinion is that Lorna should headline an X-Men Legacy relaunch. Also has been. I would even reunite Bunn with Walta. Explore her backstory in the midwest, her background in science, nature v nurture, fight for control of her own life and play up the royal thing too. She'd need to be put with followers. I don't know that I would have her with a team.
    7pgwnrhl.jpg

Magneto blew it to pieces. It’d require more than just raising it up.

I like the idea of a mutant nation, but they’d have to do it somewhere new.
    Not necessarily if one can move plate tectonics. Genosha was supposed to be a island chain created by volcanos in the first place.

Lorna creating or stopping volcanos (well not magic ones) is something in her power.

The kind of thing she studied with the whole geophysics degree.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-12-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    An Asteroid is much smaller than an Island big enough for a country that had 16 million people when Cassandra Nova attacked, and they still had problems with Utopia sinking.
    Although to be honest, Magneto sinking an island doesnt make sense, it would be like sinking Sicily or Terranova or Sardinia.
    Bunn didnt think much about it when he decided to sink Genosha. Also, an island sinking would raise see levels.