View Poll Results: Should Polaris get a more prominent role?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! She should join Jean in X-men Blue

30 23.81%
  • Yes! She should headline an Uncanny X-men relaunch

29 23.02%
  • Sure, but Id prefer her on a rebooted X-Factor

37 29.37%
  • Sure, but I have another idea for her (write in thread)

8 6.35%
  • They should make her a villian.

7 5.56%
  • No, the character has never appealed to me

15 11.90%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Not necessarily if one can move plate tectonics. Genosha was supposed to be a island chain created by volcanos in the first place.

Lorna creating or stopping volcanos (well not magic ones) is something in her power.

Amara can do that too. It could be a combined effort.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    An Asteroid is much smaller than an Island big enough for a country that had 16 million people when Cassandra Nova attacked, and they still had problems with Utopia sinking.
    Although to be honest, Magneto sinking an island doesnt make sense, it would be like sinking Sicily or Terranova or Sardinia.
    Bunn didnt think much about it when he decided to sink Genosha. Also, an island sinking would raise see levels.
    He didn’t sink it. He literally blew it up.

I honestly think it’d be more interesting if they just colonized the Savage Land. I loved the story of Genosha but with its toxic past, might just be better to start fresh somewhere else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I actually say leave her in Blue with a whole new cast once they (hopefully) get rid of the time displaced O5.

Some combo of X-Factor/New Mutants/Hellions/X-Force/New X-men could be fun. Like...

- Polaris
    - Wolfsbane
    - Warpath
    - Blink
    - Longshot

Just throwing some random characters out there, but that would definitely have a “The Gifted” vibe honestly.
    That works out quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    He didn’t sink it. He literally blew it up.
    I don't know about the other poster, but I didn't read those issues as frankly the hard x-ban and the Inhumans uber push was in place in so many areas and anything that was seen as taking from the Inhumans or MCU owned properties or just possibly in their way was being erased, destroyed, limboed or retconned I felt the need to reciprocate as in not benefit Marvel almost at all with my money, but the change in politics of loosing on the ban some since the TV deals brought me back to buying Marvel comics and a few other things they put out including going to the Thor film.

Speaking of blowing up an island I was on the Greek Island of Santorini this summer. The Island used to be massive, but was blown apart by a volcanic eruption about four thousand years ago that ended at least one civilization (on Crete) in the Mediterranean due to the Tsunami it created. It made Krakatoa (the real one) look like a tiny baby. The shape of Santorini post eruption is actually pretty similar to the shape of Genosha in the comics. If you want to see the Island below.

Santorini

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    My opinion is that Lorna should headline an X-Men Legacy relaunch. Also has been. I would even reunite Bunn with Walta. Explore her backstory in the midwest, her background in science, nature v nurture, fight for control of her own life and play up the royal thing too. She'd need to be put with followers. I don't know that I would have her with a team.
    Attachment 57719
    That is a good idea and with the right background cast and guest stars and the right understanding of the character it certainly could work. I think her past relationships to the Acolytes could certainly use building upon. She helped lead them for months and after things like the lost year or for Lorna many months between when she first left Genosha and when she returned to keep things in order when Magneto had his spine cut are the sort of things that I see as having potential with. Questions like how intelligent is Lorna, how exactly does she regard herself and events and the rest are the kind of introspection the character hasn't seen much of in a very long time.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-12-2017 at 09:34 AM.

BANNED

One of the most irritating things when speaking of the Acolytes is the underdeveloped potential of Scanner and Uniscone...would they be able to co exist if Lorna was in charge? Would they worship her just to be in Magneto's good graces or would it be legit admiration for one fighting for mutant rights? Uniscione is such a driven character...what a shame she's sitting on the sidelines.

Ultimate Member

You know Jason I didn't mean the more recent retcon of making them no longer his kids, the change years ago when they became Avengers and thought for themselves while still being his kids and having a complicated relationship with Magneto, they became more than just being "Magneto's kid" and Lorna needs that. Alex told her what to do sure, as he was the leader of the team that she was on so it was only natural, the rest was just his opinion and I remember Lorna disagreeing with him several times over the years as to the particulars so she was far from just a flunky like she is now, she now acts more like a little kid that hopes to put her family back together and everything will be perfect...which can't happen...Lorna shouldn't just be a carbon copy of Magneto in her view, she should want pretty much the same thing but have her own differing views on how to do is as she a unique character...Genosha died because of Magneto and other storylines...

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    text
    I don't have anything to really add or say in response to this post, but I didn't feel right not giving at least some kind of acknowledgment that I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't care what's the name of the book, but she needs to lead the reconstruction of Genosha. I want Utopia done better, a book about a nation focused on human-mutant unity and what that would mean to the rest of the world.
    I support this. Back when I thought better of Bunn, one of the ideas I floated was a book titled Genosha that was all about Polaris and Briar taking over trying to rebuild Genosha. I can see Lorna's views on Genosha going two routes: either "things ended horribly last time but that's cause we weren't prepared like we will be this time" or "Genosha is proof that gathering mutants in one place makes us easier to kill, we shouldn't do it." Either can really work as long as it's entered into with Lorna's own actual thoughts and experiences taken into account, rather than some other character's.

Genosha is laying in pieces at the bottom of the ocean, so there’s really nothing to reconstruct..
    To be fair here, Lorna a) has thrown Krakoa into space, and b) has a a Master's degree in geophysics. If anyone can bring the actual Genosha back from the depths, I think Lorna is that character. And it being in pieces does not matter here. It can still be rebuilt when it's brought back up.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Taking Wanda and Pietro from Magneto wasn't a good thing. It was forgettable. All their tv shows and media except for the Avengers movies are connected to Magneto. The Wanda solo was kind of ridiculous with her new mother and weird magic tales..when she was Magneto's daughter, she was damn near the most pivotal and important female comic character in Marvel since 2005. Her arc changed in Marvel for years until that A v X situation where they had her and Hope finally fix the problem Bendis started in "Decimation".

Quicksilver is pretty much a legit wimp post Magneto "is not my father" reveal..he always whined about Magneto being the cause of his issues. That doesn't exist anymore. So they made him a C list nobody in Uncanny Avengers every month. Passed up by Rogue and Deadpool with ease. Hilarious.

That doesn't need to happen with Lorna Dane. You go ask the actress known as Emma Dumont who is the one character from comics she wants Lorna to interact with and the answer is obvious. Now you can go from that in the books but connecting with Iceman is boring and has been boring in the past. Now they got him filling out an agenda instead of being naturally developed. Sad. Last thing anyone needs is for the goodwill that Lorna has received from the show to be bogged down with that kind of crap. Making Lorna weak and super friendly like Sue Richards and those types is vomit inducing.
    The problem with the Scarlet Witch solo was not that it explored a witch ancestor and magic tales, but that Marvel severed Wanda's ties to Magneto and Polaris. A witch ancestor and magic tales are fine potential stories and at the time, I would have read at least one issue if not for the forced retcon on Wanda's parentage. Cutting her off from Magneto and Polaris had multiple negative effects. One, readers knew Marvel had set artificial limits on what stories could be told with her. Two, fans of Magneto and Polaris no longer had any reason whatsoever to read the book; not like it would have any relation to their favorite character. Three, it became in some sense a referendum on the retcon itself; "if I buy this, I'm saying I support the retcon, and I don't want to do that." I think a Scarlet Witch solo would have a better chance if the twins are restored as Magneto's kids.

Have to agree on Marvel's treatment of Quicksilver. Despite how I loved Lorna's treatment in Secret Wars: House of M, even that book treated Pietro poorly, and I don't think that would've happened pre-forced-retcon.

I'm pretty sure that Emma most wants Quicksilver on the show. She wants Magneto and talks about him a lot too, but Quicksilver is her main. She's talked about the idea of dressing as a female Quicksilver for Halloween, or playing a female Quicksilver if some character other than Lorna, things like that.

Lorna interacting with Iceman has a lot of potential that I'd like to see explored - as long as it's done by a writer that actually sees the potential of both characters in their interaction. Lorna was the woman in the love triangle of Iceman's first "romance." She was there for his early days. She has insights Jean couldn't provide due to not being in that love triangle, and other past love interests couldn't provide due to not being around nearly as long. My view is that Lorna would be the best possible character to add further backing/support to Iceman being gay and having come out due to these traits. Specifically, Lorna can demonstrate that there's nothing wrong or shameful in someone who's gay but dated women having done so before coming out. Her long history with Iceman back to the beginning lends the most possible weight to a story with that focus.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    My opinion is that Lorna should headline an X-Men Legacy relaunch. Also has been. I would even reunite Bunn with Walta. Explore her backstory in the midwest, her background in science, nature v nurture, fight for control of her own life and play up the royal thing too. She'd need to be put with followers. I don't know that I would have her with a team.
    Presently opposed to Bunn running it until I see better from him, but completely agree with you on the backstory to explore. Also having followers would be interesting. I could definitely see her having good ones out of post-Genosha (Uncanny X-Men #442-443 arc showing mutants bowing to her as their queen), and bad ones out of post-Pestilence (anti-Apocalypse cult trying to kill her). If people are bowing to her and trying to kill her, that means news of her actions gets around.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Bunn didnt think much about it when he decided to sink Genosha. Also, an island sinking would raise see levels.
    Bunn had a line about how Lorna would've wanted to see what he made of Genosha coming back, so I think its sinking was either executive/editorial requirement or he knew he wouldn't get to go further with it and didn't want to leave false hope.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Sure. Not sure where I'd put her exactly but I wouldn't mind Polaris getting a push in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    One of the most irritating things when speaking of the Acolytes is the underdeveloped potential of Scanner and Uniscone...would they be able to co exist if Lorna was in charge? Would they worship her just to be in Magneto's good graces or would it be legit admiration for one fighting for mutant rights? Uniscione is such a driven character...what a shame she's sitting on the sidelines.
    It does feel like there is some sort of restrictions in place with Acolytes, not a ban, but certainly limitations on their use. There are Acolytes she worked with or lead like Voght and a number of others. Sometimes she lead them without them actually knowing she was doing like her leading Frenzy and some of the others when Magneto was out of commission for long durations on the island.

If Frenzy and certain others would have followed her orders at times quite so well without her changing costume, well probably not given she was younger and less intense and experienced, but call it the start of leadership training with training wheels of a sort.

She never actually worked with on panel Exodus and he spent all of one issue on Genosha before leaving, she vaguely looked down on Cortez as a sort of ambitious idiot to be handled. Scanner fought with her though they never talked on panel.

Uniscone didn't serve with her on Genosha and their last meeting in the early 90s was decidedly nasty with Uniscone calling her a monkey and Lorna not taking it well only for Lorna to be shown at the end of the issue she sort of was the governments patsy of a kind with them mass producing Sentinels right under her nose and then plotting over the next couple issues to kidnap and brainwash her as a weapon against Magneto and his asteroid.

Here in sort of lies the divide about Lorna. Magneto towards the end of the Genosha arc dropped Cortez on his head for plotting to kill him and residual anger likely over the other times he screwed him over or the time he endangered Luna's life.

Some fans might believe Lorna's response would be shocked and horrified at him doing that and quote alot canned Xavier dogma about what heroes do. Other fans would believe she would nod her head that it needed to be done or make an argument for holding his sentence as he might still be useful in some ways. Still others would have had her personally drop Cortez on his head at high speed herself without a second thought for threatening Luna and plotting assassination, etc.

The fans are no less divided then the comic writers on the topic.

I am of the option the character as I see her doesn't factor in morality into the equation the way a normal super hero does. That the character when in her right mind will do what she thinks is utilitarian for the most good even if it means doing things that are totally against conventional super hero morals code. I believe she has a code of honor to do the most good by the most people primarily for mutants, also for everyone, but she has no major problem doing what she believes needs to be done in defense of mutants or everyone in general.

If I had to single out on area beyond her powers she has the most commonality with her father its the underlying concept that say yes some people good and bad will die in this revolution against the Genoshan magistrates, but ending slavery on the island is a worthy cause to discard conventional super hero ideals for and then to lead a rebellion (and my avatar is her depowered fighting as a rebel with a gun for a reason) to toss the existing government overboard.

It isn't that I don't see a number of philosophical and worldview differences between them, but taking actions that may seem extreme to others for what they view as the greatest good is their area of least divergence.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-13-2017 at 05:31 PM.

I still think that Lorna, by herself, taking fractured pieces of an island that once supported 16 million people and putting them back together is a huge stretch. And sure some might say Magneto would help her and it’s doable, but he wouldn’t. He blew up the island for a reason, and it wasn’t just to kill the dark riders. He did it for a reason, and it made sense for his character.

I still think that Lorna, by herself, taking fractured pieces of an island that once supported 16 million people and putting them back together is a huge stretch. And sure some might say Magneto would help her and it’s doable, but he wouldn’t. He blew up the island for a reason, and it wasn’t just to kill the dark riders. He did it for a reason, and it made sense for his character.
    Its was a volcanic island meaning it has a magma chamber directly beneath it going from the center of the Earth on up. If one with her powers ever wanted to rebuild it all they would have to is shift things around a little underneath and the super heated metal and rock comes up in controlled form to build a new island chain.

Just know Genosha wasn't just Magneto's baby. He might have convinced her to come to the island, but it was Lorna herself who fought it, bled for it, believed in the idea of it and suffered her lives greatest trauma for that island and its people and that could certainly be an argument against her remaking it any time soon, but isn't going to doesn't mean she couldn't with her powers.

Genosha will continue to exist as an idea of a mutant Israel even in death.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-12-2017 at 12:30 PM.

This is one of those cases where I think something that is being presented/perceived as a limitation isn't really a limitation.

On top of being a fictional setting, this is the reality-defying world of superhero comic books. Planets are eaten. Entire solar systems are destroyed. People come back from the dead. There are so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so many ways a writer could bring back Genosha if they wanted to. The Polaris idea I just mentioned is one of them. Scarlet Witch coming back and restoring it with her reality-warping powers at a high point is another idea. Some device or character "rewinding time" in a localized fashion is yet another option.

There are literally countless ways it could be done. To say it's not possible is to disregard the way superhero comic books work. If you don't like the idea, I understand that and everyone has their own views. If you think it's a bad idea, maybe you have a good case for never bringing it back. But to say it's flat out not possible in the world of superhero comics? I don't buy that. If this was Walking Dead or some other fiction grounded in the hard rules of reality, then yes, but not here.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

I never said it was impossible for the world of superhero comics. Writers will find ways to bring back anything they want to, even if it isn’t a good story or make sense.

What I actually said was, I think it’s a stretch that Lorna could bring back the island and make it whole by her lonesome.

Of course the idea of Genosha and what it meant will never die. But the actual island doesn’t need to be brought back for a mutant nation to exist somewhere else. And if a writer really wants to bring it back? Sure they will and it doesn’t necessarily be for a good reason.

In that case, my response is that I don't see why Lorna wouldn't be able to do it. Again, she threw Krakoa into space as a teenager. As a teenager, she didn't have the raw power, fine control, amount of dedicated training, or educational insight she has today. She has all the tools necessary to bring back the actual physical location of Genosha. It doesn't have to be lifting everything of the island in whole either. As jmc pointed out, it could be much more nuanced - which would actually fit Lorna (when written well) quite nicely.

I don't think Lorna would be unable to do it in one big moment. But for sake of argument, if we assume she can't do it in one big moment, big things can happen from slow, long, methodical effort too. Take Dashrath Manjhi as an example. He spent 22 years carving a path through a hillock using only a hammer and chisel, all by himself, to make it easier and quicker for medical attention to reach his village. He was disregarded as "crazy" when he started but his decades of hard work paid off. Imagine what a woman with electromagnetic powers and intricate knowledge of geophysics can pull off with this same dedicated spirit.
    Last edited by salarta; 11-12-2017 at 10:51 PM.

A Polaris mini series is still my number one wish for the character but since this will remain fanfiction only, I plead for her in either an Uncanny X-Men book or X-Factor. All New X-Factor ended with a massive cliff hanger AND WE NEED IT RESOLVED!

In Uncanny, I could see Lorna on the team with Rachel Grey. They seemed to get along well. Lorna could also be a teacher at the school who occasionally kicks some butt. We would also get an inside into her philosophy there.