View Poll Results: Should Polaris get a more prominent role?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! She should join Jean in X-men Blue

30 23.81%
  • Yes! She should headline an Uncanny X-men relaunch

29 23.02%
  • Sure, but Id prefer her on a rebooted X-Factor

37 29.37%
  • Sure, but I have another idea for her (write in thread)

8 6.35%
  • They should make her a villian.

7 5.56%
  • No, the character has never appealed to me

15 11.90%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Yes, but as long as she gets a purple outfit.
    All that green is a bit overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress of Dictionaries View Post
    A Polaris mini series is still my number one wish for the character but since this will remain fanfiction only, I plead for her in either an Uncanny X-Men book or X-Factor. All New X-Factor ended with a massive cliff hanger AND WE NEED IT RESOLVED!

In Uncanny, I could see Lorna on the team with Rachel Grey. They seemed to get along well. Lorna could also be a teacher at the school who occasionally kicks some butt. We would also get an inside into her philosophy there.
    Of all the things that happened with All-New X-Factor, strangely the one I want to see get closure is that eye camera. Right now it's just hanging out in Lorna's eye doing all of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Yes, but as long as she gets a purple outfit.
    All that green is a bit overkill.
    I still disagree with the idea, both of a radical costume change and of changing her dominant color to something else. She still needs her iconic costume or some variation of it for the average casual reader to recognize it's her. Case in point, I've seen so many people mistakenly think the character on this Axis cover was Polaris and not Enchantress.

That her aesthetic is so recognizable is important. It helps her stand out from other green-haired characters in and out of Marvel like Agent Brand, Carmilla Black, Aphrodite IX, Rydia from Final Fantasy IV (yes someone made this mistake once), generic Dungeons & Dragons mages, and many others. There's also the element that it being iconic is valuable in itself.

I'd prefer fresh modifications to her iconic look over any radical change. Two good examples of the same concept, albeit I'd do away with the little bubbles meant to evoke Magneto on the second one.

These, I feel, are good changes. It adds a much-needed complementary color that mixes up the palette without overshadowing the rest of her look. It moves away from the tights to give her a more hardened battle armor style. Yet, it's still really obvious that it's Lorna.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post

The problem with the Scarlet Witch solo was not that it explored a witch ancestor and magic tales, but that Marvel severed Wanda's ties to Magneto and Polaris. A witch ancestor and magic tales are fine potential stories and at the time, I would have read at least one issue if not for the forced retcon on Wanda's parentage. Cutting her off from Magneto and Polaris had multiple negative effects. One, readers knew Marvel had set artificial limits on what stories could be told with her. Two, fans of Magneto and Polaris no longer had any reason whatsoever to read the book; not like it would have any relation to their favorite character. Three, it became in some sense a referendum on the retcon itself; "if I buy this, I'm saying I support the retcon, and I don't want to do that." I think a Scarlet Witch solo would have a better chance if the twins are restored as Magneto's kids.

Have to agree on Marvel's treatment of Quicksilver. Despite how I loved Lorna's treatment in Secret Wars: House of M, even that book treated Pietro poorly, and I don't think that would've happened pre-forced-retcon.

I'm pretty sure that Emma most wants Quicksilver on the show. She wants Magneto and talks about him a lot too, but Quicksilver is her main. She's talked about the idea of dressing as a female Quicksilver for Halloween, or playing a female Quicksilver if some character other than Lorna, things like that.

Emma has done several interviews and LIVE sessions saying she wants Magneto on the show more than anyone. Quicksilver? LMAO. Guy has fell all the way off and no one has mentioned him in months. She mentioned that Halloween thing in jest and that's about it. If you want the show to take a nose dive...putting Quicksilver on it is the way to go. He's whiny and a crybaby character.

As for Wanda? The whole thing was laughable. Uncanny Avengers created some fake sister and then got rid of her as soon as they created her. Then they did this Natalia Maximoff thing and it was uninspiring and cliché. It's a spit in the face of fans because everyone has seen the Fox X Men show, Wolverine and the X Men, and the X Men Evolution. It bordered on preposterous. So Wanda fighting shaky new magic villians no one ever heard of and not dealing with Magneto, Lorna, Doom, or anything along those lines were silly.

Getting Lorna involved in that Iceman Bendis forced trope doesn't work and is a waste of time. He don't know if he's gay or not and it took time travel to get him to that point. Dumb. Horrible. They need to get that stuff straightened out before he falls off to the wayside..making his stories about sexuality and not him fulfilling his power potential or hanging around old friends like Spider Man, Torch, or Firestar are not good creative decisions. It's easy to make the Iceman book work...him and Beast are like brothers. He should be guest starring in every book. Spider Man and Torch should be apart of a crossover story since they all have that same punchline personality that blends well with a good writer. But nope..it's about him being gay and the confusion of that and what not. There is no need to get Lorna involved in that madness. Sort it out and maybe get her to comment on it in like 5 years or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Emma has done several interviews and LIVE sessions saying she wants Magneto on the show more than anyone. Quicksilver? LMAO. Guy has fell all the way off and no one has mentioned him in months. She mentioned that Halloween thing in jest and that's about it. If you want the show to take a nose dive...putting Quicksilver on it is the way to go. He's whiny and a crybaby character.
    I've watched the live sessions too. I downloaded the instagram app specifically to check the stories she puts on there, and as far as I'm aware, I started doing it before anyone else on CBR was doing it.

Either you misread the tone of her comments about dressing as female Pietro for Halloween or you're lying. She's repeatedly spoken highly of her interest in him.

I really do not look kindly on this badmouthing of other perfectly good characters that you're doing here. This attitude is everything wrong with traditional hardcore comic book fandom. "My favorite character should be worshiped! All other competing characters should be cut down!" You like Magneto and maybe you genuinely don't like Quicksilver. That's fine. Magneto has value. But Pietro also has value. Like all characters, he has a hell of a lot of potential both as his own character and for potential interactions with Lorna. Your negative perception of him is not the entirety of his character.

I'll be blunt. When I read your remarks about Quicksilver here, I immediately think of every single time one of my favorite characters has been badmouthed by someone who doesn't see their potential and absolutely refuses to do so. I think of the guy who responded to me saying Lorna needed to come back from space by saying she should be left out there to "keep her away from characters that matter." I'm not into the idea of smearing and mistreating other characters. I'm not going to support that.

As for Wanda? The whole thing was laughable. Uncanny Avengers created some fake sister and then got rid of her as soon as they created her. Then they did this Natalia Maximoff thing and it was uninspiring and cliché. It's a spit in the face of fans because everyone has seen the Fox X Men show, Wolverine and the X Men, and the X Men Evolution. It bordered on preposterous. So Wanda fighting shaky new magic villians no one ever heard of and not dealing with Magneto, Lorna, Doom, or anything along those lines were silly.
    The fake sister was part of a blatant attempt by Marvel to "replace" Lorna with other characters in Wanda's life. Each attempt has been bad and stupid. That doesn't mean that's where opportunities for Wanda end. There is absolutely no reason Wanda can't have magic-focused stories and interact with her family. It's short-sighted to act like those magic storylines were bad in themselves. It's all about opportunities and execution.

Getting Lorna involved in that Iceman Bendis forced trope doesn't work and is a waste of time. He don't know if he's gay or not and it took time travel to get him to that point. Dumb. Horrible. They need to get that stuff straightened out before he falls off to the wayside..making his stories about sexuality and not him fulfilling his power potential or hanging around old friends like Spider Man, Torch, or Firestar are not good creative decisions. It's easy to make the Iceman book work...him and Beast are like brothers. He should be guest starring in every book. Spider Man and Torch should be apart of a crossover story since they all have that same punchline personality that blends well with a good writer. But nope..it's about him being gay and the confusion of that and what not. There is no need to get Lorna involved in that madness. Sort it out and maybe get her to comment on it in like 5 years or something.
    "Forced trope," "He don't know if he's gay or not" and similar language is horribly insulting. Representation matters. There is absolutely nothing wrong, at all, with Iceman being gay. There is no reason whatsoever that he somehow can't pursue his power potential, or hang out with other characters, and have storylines and moments representing his homosexuality. You're treating homosexuality like it's some kind of barrier to character instead of being part of who he is. That's incredibly offensive in itself. Nevermind everything else that's been said.

In this last post alone, you've badmouthed Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Iceman. Why? What's your real reason? I have trouble believing you're genuinely this closed-minded about all the great potential and opportunities of these characters. My suspicion is that you're just trying to cut down any character that might be "competition" for Magneto within Lorna's life and limit her options so he's all she has. And I really don't care if my being this direct given the above remarks leads to mod/admin action toward me. I'll just shift back to Twitter or Tumblr if that happens.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

BANNED

I've watched the live sessions too. I downloaded the instagram app specifically to check the stories she puts on there, and as far as I'm aware, I started doing it before anyone else on CBR was doing it.

Either you misread the tone of her comments about dressing as female Pietro for Halloween or you're lying. She's repeatedly spoken highly of her interest in him.

I really do not look kindly on this badmouthing of other perfectly good characters that you're doing here. This attitude is everything wrong with traditional hardcore comic book fandom. "My favorite character should be worshiped! All other competing characters should be cut down!" You like Magneto and maybe you genuinely don't like Quicksilver. That's fine. Magneto has value. But Pietro also has value. Like all characters, he has a hell of a lot of potential both as his own character and for potential interactions with Lorna. Your negative perception of him is not the entirety of his character.
    I'm the one that put the Twitter and Instagram check ins on the show. Then everyone followed in that vein. I do that for all announced shows and characters of merit...just to see where their head is. Cutting down characters? You've been crying about Magneto and Cullen Bunn for days now. Cutting them down. Lying. Pretending that Lorna is being undercut to push Magneto and the like and that makes no sense if you've read stories like House of M or All New X Factor..Because his name and presence has continually been in the mix. The whole RETURN of Lorna Dane to earth was tied to Magneto and Rogue in the first place. So how on earth is a A lister like him taking away from a character revealed to be his daughter? Doesn't make a lick of lense. That's not bad mouthing lesser characters. Quicksilver has SUCKED for a long time...the Fox movie version is a nice comical improvement but take away the Magneto character and he's expendable and really has no need to be in the future of the franchise.

I'll be blunt. When I read your remarks about Quicksilver here, I immediately think of every single time one of my favorite characters has been badmouthed by someone who doesn't see their potential and absolutely refuses to do so. I think of the guy who responded to me saying Lorna needed to come back from space by saying she should be left out there to "keep her away from characters that matter." I'm not into the idea of smearing and mistreating other characters. I'm not going to support that.
    That's cool. Let me be blunt...everyone KNOWS how blunt I am...when you tried to run down Bunn, the BEST WRITER on the X line since Gillen, it belittled your worth to the threads you were in. Bunn's work speaks for himself. He wouldn't have this spot if it didn't. His Magneto series was the best written series of the last 5 years. Better than Waid's Daredevil and Hickman's Avengers. I think he didn't portray Lorna 100% to her strengths in Last Days and he hasn't had the opportunity to expand on her in Blue because there is a EDITOR MANDATED ceiling put over him where he has to keep pushing the 05 kids and that's that. He hasn't fell off or isn't doing anything wrong. Magneto and Lorna basically get a few pages compared to HORRIBLE characters like that Jimmy/Wolverine alternate son character who NOBODY asked for.

The fake sister was part of a blatant attempt by Marvel to "replace" Lorna with other characters in Wanda's life. Each attempt has been bad and stupid. That doesn't mean that's where opportunities for Wanda end. There is absolutely no reason Wanda can't have magic-focused stories and interact with her family. It's short-sighted to act like those magic storylines were bad in themselves. It's all about opportunities and execution.
    It's not that they were all bad. They were far reaching and unnecessary. She teaming up with Agatha and Strange is always fun but her acting like Magneto doesn't exist and didn't drive her story for the better part of 15 years suddenly is a joke and Bendis-like dodging. It's a waste of time and definitely needed a new direction. Then they messed up again and brought her back to Uncanny Avengers arguing with Rogue out of the blue again. So they got her in a bad circle jerk she has no business in. She can't progress that way. It sucks. It's boring.

"Forced trope," "He don't know if he's gay or not" and similar language is horribly insulting. Representation matters. There is absolutely nothing wrong, at all, with Iceman being gay. There is no reason whatsoever that he somehow can't pursue his power potential, or hang out with other characters, and have storylines and moments representing his homosexuality. You're treating homosexuality like it's some kind of barrier to character instead of being part of who he is. That's incredibly offensive in itself. Nevermind everything else that's been said.

In this last post alone, you've badmouthed Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Iceman. Why? What's your real reason? I have trouble believing you're genuinely this closed-minded about all the great potential and opportunities of these characters. My suspicion is that you're just trying to cut down any character that might be "competition" for Magneto within Lorna's life and limit her options so he's all she has. And I really don't care if my being this direct given the above remarks leads to mod/admin action toward me. I'll just shift back to Twitter or Tumblr if that happens.
    The whole gay gimmick started on this board and for some reason, Bendis trolled and made it legit. Iceman was never acting gay..he was just never in anything that was significant. He was always a jokey character that didn't live up to potential. This spin on him is his new primary focus? That's not business. It's forced. It's phony and Lorna has no business being dragged down into that.
    Last edited by JasonEsta; 11-13-2017 at 04:48 PM.

I've never really cared one way or the other about Polaris beyond how unhinged would she appear next or what being would possess her this time. With the TV show pushing her character, I hope the books do something big with her, big enough to make me care about her character and not her mental state.
    Last edited by nx01a; 11-13-2017 at 05:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Cutting down characters? You've been crying about Magneto and Cullen Bunn for days now. Cutting them down. Lying. Pretending that Lorna is being undercut to push Magneto and the like and that makes no sense if you've read stories like House of M or All New X Factor..Because his name and presence has continually been in the mix. The whole RETURN of Lorna Dane to earth was tied to Magneto and Rogue in the first place. So how on earth is a A lister like him taking away from a character revealed to be his daughter? Doesn't make a lick of lense. That's not bad mouthing lesser characters. Quicksilver has SUCKED for a long time...the Fox movie version is a nice comical improvement but take away the Magneto character and he's expendable and really has no need to be in the future of the franchise.
    I've been calling out Lorna's treatment on Blue for a lot longer than days, and I'll keep doing it until things change, just like I did with Peter David. Your focus on Magneto above all is becoming clearer with every post. Especially every time you badmouth other characters and their potential outside him.

That's cool. Let me be blunt...everyone KNOWS how blunt I am...when you tried to run down Bunn, the BEST WRITER on the X line since Gillen, it belittled your worth to the threads you were in. Bunn's work speaks for himself. He wouldn't have this spot if it didn't. His Magneto series was the best written series of the last 5 years. Better than Waid's Daredevil and Hickman's Avengers. I think he didn't portray Lorna 100% to her strengths in Last Days and he hasn't had the opportunity to expand on her in Blue because there is a EDITOR MANDATED ceiling put over him where he has to keep pushing the 05 kids and that's that. He hasn't fell off or isn't doing anything wrong. Magneto and Lorna basically get a few pages compared to HORRIBLE characters like that Jimmy/Wolverine alternate son character who NOBODY asked for.
    My worth? I don't have worth. I never have. And since I have no illusions of worth, I have no reason not to call things as I see them. Even if Bunn's the best writer since whoever you cite, that doesn't mean he's infallible. He has a problem. I'm not going to refrain from pointing out the problem just because a fan of him doesn't want it publicly acknowledged. I didn't stop doing it with Peter David until things changed starting with ANXF #7, I'm not going to stop doing it with Bunn. And, once again, you're badmouthing perfectly fine characters for no good reason. I have no problem with Bunn using Jimmy if that's who he wants to use. I only want him to treat Lorna better in addition to using whoever he wants to use.

It's not that they were all bad. They were far reaching and unnecessary. She teaming up with Agatha and Strange is always fun but her acting like Magneto doesn't exist and didn't drive her story for the better part of 15 years suddenly is a joke and Bendis-like dodging. It's a waste of time and definitely needed a new direction. Then they messed up again and brought her back to Uncanny Avengers arguing with Rogue out of the blue again. So they got her in a bad circle jerk she has no business in. She can't progress that way. It sucks. It's boring.
    I don't have anything to say to this at the moment. Just acknowledging that I read it. I may have something to say later.

The whole gay gimmick started on this board and for some reason, Bendis trolled and made it legit. Iceman was never acting gay..he was just never in anything that was significant. He was always a jokey character that didn't live up to potential. This spin on him is his new primary focus? That's not business. It's forced. It's phony and Lorna has no business being dragged down into that.
    It's not a "gimmick." It's a development. It doesn't matter if people weren't serious about it when they used to say it before Bendis. Bendis realized it was a good direction for Iceman, and he went with it. Both Lorna and Bobby would benefit greatly from interacting with that as part (but not all) of the focus.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Lorna... Jean... could make for an interesting redux of the Xavier-Magneto dynamic.
    Absolutely! THIS, would be a good start. And make for a strong building block, in establishing a new foundation for her (and Jean!).

Almost 3 years ago now, I started advocatin' & makin' the case for this approach to her (their) character(s), in the Polaris app thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    ... Bear with me, and hopefully, you'll see where I'm going with all this...

... at how Polaris now possibly being Magneto's only living child, for the time being anyway - and only, hopefully - could be seen as potentially beneficial for her:

I started with many a visual cue in prior posts, right before the above, to eXpress my line of thinking. This included Batman/Batgirl, Superman/Supergirl, Spider-Man/Spider-Woman, Hulk/She-Hulk, Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel, Ant-Man/Wasp, Wolverine/X-23, & finally Xavier/Magneto, before getting to the Prof/Jean, and then lotsa Mags/Lorna (as tMoM).

Specifically: Lorna/Erik = Jean/Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Pairing Lorna with Jean in Red could make for an interesting redux of the Xavier-Magneto dynamic.
    Agreed completely.

There are some ideas that never get old and the best of friends having a divergence is one of those ideas. It could breath live in a nearly 50 year old relationship that most comic fans and writers today think is totally irrelevant (if they even know about it) because in the end it needed something more then just being old friends.

B]Absolutely! THIS[/B], would be a good start. And make for a strong building block, in establishing a new foundation for her (and Jean!).
    It’s not just a good idea, it would also supercharge a relationship which has long been viewed as completely irrelevant relic.

Last edited by jmc247; 11-13-2017 at 05:55 PM.

BANNED

And here, from the same just earlier this year, I elaborate & espouse on what is IMO... the obvious, overwhelming rationale, behind it all:

"Early on, when first introduced, it did turn out to be a MASSIVELY missed opportunity for Lorna. You'll get no argument from me there. But more importantly, Marvel, IMO. The "Devil's" daughter/daughter of thy frenemy trope, would've practically wrote itself, had they ONLY had the foresight, fortitude, & SAVVY, to take advantage of it back then. And it might've had a better chance of being carried thru too, had she debuted down the road, after the NG relaunch. I mean, COME ON, it WAS RIGHT THERE!!! Xavier/Jean as mentor/surrogate daughter, w/same powers, indoctrinating into a peaceful coeXistence philosophy =/vs. Magneto/Lorna as father/daughter, w/same powers, indoctrinating into opposing, more militant philosophy. And that's just the surface parallels between them, there's also the uncanny similarities in the trajectory of Xavier/Magneto's & Jean/Lorna's individual personal relationships, with lots of eXploration available on a generational level for contrasting. You could've even kept it playing out as it did, in some fashion, with having Charles get to Lorna first. Then Erik freakin' out & pissed to no end, for ole Chuck goin' behind his back & doin' that knowingly to HIS kid, and then demanding she be with him instead. Lorna being conflicted, having already made friends with/liking Jean & the others, and becoming particularly close with her & Havok. Then you have the whole more than obvious Romeo&Juliet/WestSideStory for her & Alex, a Summers clan member & younger bro to Xavier's favorite son no less, with the House of M/Brotherhood's youngest princess for a FULL-ON dramatic DILEMMA! Without the tragic end tho, natch. I admit that's a pretty revisionist history & I have many more, less predictable ways it COULD'VE went for her thereafter, but yeah... what could've been.

But that was then, and this is now, and what's done is done. You can't change the past, but you can't let the past control the future either. How can you ever move forward, if you're constantly lookin' behind ya all the time? I see no reason why some of what I just suggested, couldn't be implemented today. Sure, Mags is the BIG ole baddie gone a bit good, or seemingly so anyway. And Polaris is the goody good-girl, gone a bit bad. Erik/MaX has always been singularly minded, unwavering, and driven, sometimes against better judgement, and more often than necessary... to the point of no return. I'd like to see Lorna check him on that, kinda like she did in SW HoM. I'd have her start teaching him, when to back off, be more adaptable, and frankly... more forthright & less prideful."

BANNED

Matter of fact, they should just make it official, and go all the way now:

Charles/Erik/Scott/Logan = Jean/Lorna/Ororo/Laura

You can't change the past, but you can't let the past control the future either.
    Technically, you can change the past in Marvel comics. There are various things done throughout her history that I'd like to see revisited with a lot more empathy and humanity in mind, such as her time as Malice.

Regarding Lorna and Magneto, I feel there's definitely ways they can both be even the same precise alignment at the same time but still be very different. I mean, in certain contexts, I can see Lorna committing vandalism. I can see her flipping people off or cursing them out. I can see her actually watching out for and taking care of a kid (wouldn't want her as a mother or adoptive mother, though). I can see Lorna going to a concert and rocking out, or going to a bar and getting drunk. Those are things I can't see Magneto doing. He's too straight man for that type of behavior, and I couldn't see even a younger version of himself doing those things. Magneto's the type that I see preferring classical music, classier parties, verbally arguing with others in ways that don't involve coarse language or gestures, etc.

Though of course, this is all opinion. My point is entirely to say that I think they can be of the same attitude on morality and what needs to be done while still approaching it from different angles.

And yeah, Lorna and Jean would be nice to see again. This is a case where I think we really could "change history," whether that means telling stories from that era in a new book (like The Hidden Years did but wasn't ready to do for real with Lorna) or flashbacks, bringing teen Lorna to the present, or whatever else may be the case.

Cross-post as it's relevant here too.

Relevant tweets time. I'm not going to bother with linking this time because it's not fanart/fanfic and I don't think it's as important to link in this kind of case.

More tweets supporting the idea of an X-Men Green team led by Lorna.

Another tweet that's not about the specific X-Men Green concept, but about how Marvel should have a book featuring Lorna especially with Gifted out there.

It's a pretty good sign to see so many people asking for Lorna to have a starring role somewhere.

BANNED

Perhaps Lorna should form another:

... or better yet, a variation on the theme... with an all-new:

... INSTEAD!

BANNED

I like Lorna, I really learned to admire her in All New X Factor. One of the few adult women at Marvel. Reading her (written in character) is worth every penny.

Personally she should be placed on a team book. Just got a look at the line up for X-Men Red. Why on God's green earth that brat Gabby is being included is beyond me. Correct that: she's on it because that's the only type of character Taylor can write. Cheese and rice since when has the X-Men been turned into a kiddie book? For years Stan Lee and co. did their darndest to show that comic books (or at least Marvel ones) are not just suited for sub-literate 15 year old boys. Now they are reverting to type.