Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How much longer do you think will each Arrowverse-Show last?

Well, what do you think? Besides the main shows we have a few Animated Spin-Offs, as well as comics, but it's clear that those 4 shows are the heart of CW's superhero verse. How much longer do you think they will be around? I'll start.

Arrow: Well, it's into it 6th Season now, and even though Season 5 was a huge improvement over the horrendous Season 3 and 4 (and Season 6, so far, keeps up that standart), the ratings just haven't been that good lately, and with the flashbacks having ended and obviously many plot points at once being resolved during Season 6, I think this might very well be the final Season of the series that started it all. Sad (for me at least), but maybe Oliver and co will keep making cameos in the other shows.

Flash: Well, the Flash (despite Season 3 having been a bit underwhelming) is easily the most popular of the bunch. I don't see it going away for quite a while, just like Smallville back then, I think it will be renewed at least for a 7th Season.

Supergirl: This one is a bit difficult for me to predict, but I think it might end after maybe 5/6 seasons or so?

Legends of Tomorrow: Just as The Flash is definitely the most popular, Legends is, without a doubt, the most obscure of the bunch. And even though I really dig the ensemble and think it has greatly improved starting with Season 2, Time Travel is a concept you can only repeat for so long, especially in a verse where the rules change like every episode. I think it will end after Season 4, at BEST Season 5.
    Last edited by Anarchist; 11-11-2017 at 11:37 AM.

I'd say Supergirl is the one most likely to end the soonest. I think Melissa Benoist is great in the role, but she is already 29 and it gets to the point of being ridiculous
    that a woman in her 30s in still playing a character that is called "girls", Cat Grant's speech to the contrary. Plus her biological clock is ticking and how do you do a pregnant
    Supergirl? And it seems to be a physically demanding role. In retrospect maybe someone younger should have been cast.
    If the CW is still doing Superhero shows by then perhaps turn it into a Superman show. Do like TNT did, where The Closer became Major Crimes when Kyra Sedgewick wanted
    out. Keep most the cast but have Superman take over for Supergirl. Anyway I don't see Supergirl lasting 10 seasons.

wow, she is 29? I would say if the actress became pregnant, they do a half season that year, or Mxyzptlk makes her pregnant? Or they introduce Superwoman who picks up the slack. I could see it also ending after 5 or 6 seasons, unless they do a "Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes" season. She gets sent to the future and lives in the 31st Century. They could do an entire season of that storyline easily, (Ok might also be expensive) Then I would give it an additional season.

If Arrow were to end this season, do you see anyone moving to Legends permanently?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I hope that one of their producers being outed as a sexual harasser makes them get shafted earlier than they otherwise would. I hate Arrowverse with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I hope that one of their producers being outed as a sexual harasser makes them get shafted earlier than they otherwise would. I hate Arrowverse with a passion.
    Then why post or pay any attention to threads about it? If you don't like it, fine. But if all you're going to post is something along these lines, I don't even see the point in doing something like that.

Aren't the ratings down across the board for most Arrowverse shows except Arrow? I wonder if that'll impact things at all.

Arrow is the flagship and the originator of the Arrowverse. I think they'll keep that going as long as they can, even though Ollie's heroic journey has basically come full-circle, though Black Lightning seems like it could fit into Arrow's niche and replace it if it ever came to that.

Legends is really fun but a part of me thinks there's only so much they can still do on that show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I'd say Supergirl is the one most likely to end the soonest. I think Melissa Benoist is great in the role, but she is already 29 and it gets to the point of being ridiculous
    that a woman in her 30s in still playing a character that is called "girls", Cat Grant's speech to the contrary. Plus her biological clock is ticking and how do you do a pregnant
    Supergirl? And it seems to be a physically demanding role. In retrospect maybe someone younger should have been cast.
    If the CW is still doing Superhero shows by then perhaps turn it into a Superman show. Do like TNT did, where The Closer became Major Crimes when Kyra Sedgewick wanted
    out. Keep most the cast but have Superman take over for Supergirl. Anyway I don't see Supergirl lasting 10 seasons.
    Barbara Gordon's been Batgirl into her late 20's so I doubt Benoist's age will be much of an issue unless she's in the role long enough to really visibly age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm the exact opposite. I hope Kreisberg getting outed and suspended doesn't negatively impact the shows at all.

BANNED

Exactly one-half of a season longer than it should. But seriously, any series that makes it past season three immediately becomes subject to the 5 season rule, so I think they'll all last at least that long.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 11-11-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Spectacular Member

I think the flash's biggest concern is if they can survive with out using speedster villains.

Arrow's biggest concern is with them bloating the cast more than it can take.

Legends' biggest problem is if it can't lower it's budget, I like the show, but if it's as expensive to make as people say it is then it's going to be canceled.

Supergirl needs to keep people invested in it.

BANNED

Legends needs to move to space because time travel stories are super limited and they've all been told time and time again

Quote Originally Posted by MorganL View Post
    I think the flash's biggest concern is if they can survive with out using speedster villains.
    I'm half expecting Joe and Cecile's kid to turn out to be Daniel West so they can do a Reverse-Flash storyline next season.

It's too bad Wentworth Miller seems done with the Arrowverse since bumping up Cold to Big Bad status and having him form the Rogues might have let them do more then just re-use evil Speedsters.

Retired

LEGENDS does seem to be the lowest in ratings. But THE FLASH isn't doing as well as it used to and it's the lead in for LEGENDS. So they might be pulling each other down. I like LEGENDS the most and it's the show that can re-invent itself constantly. The other shows are hampered by what already has happened--especially ARROW. Whereas, LEGENDS can shake off a bad story line and find a new direction.

I don't think that time travel wears itself out. There's all of time to explore and this series has only skimmed the surface. And having an ensemble of characters, it's easy to replace characters as they drop out with new characters that always bring some new spark. So creatively, I think it's the best series. But that lack of one main character to cheer for might be the reason it hasn't picked up a large audience.

If they do cancel LEGENDS, I hope they simply replace it with another ensemble series that uses a lot of the same characters. The title itself might be the biggest problem for the series.

At six seasons, ARROW is wearing out its welcome, so it seem the most likely, other than LEGENDS, to bite the dust soon. But again, I'd like them to develop a new series on the ruins of the old.

I don't see either SUPERGIRL or FLASH going away soon. The actual age of the actor has nothing to do with the age of the character. We see people in their thirties playing teenagers. And both Benoist and Gustin look really young, so they'll be able to continue for another ten years.

And the CW is the kind of network that will keep a show on the air for a lot longer than a major network. They'll likely only cancel any of these shows if there's some other shows that are doing so well that there isn't enough room in the schedule to fit all of them on one network.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't see either SUPERGIRL or FLASH going away soon. The actual age of the actor has nothing to do with the age of the character. We see people in their thirties playing teenagers. And both Benoist and Gustin look really young, so they'll be able to continue for another ten years.

And the CW is the kind of network that will keep a show on the air for a lot longer than a major network. They'll likely only cancel any of these shows if there's some other shows that are doing so well that there isn't enough room in the schedule to fit all of them on one network.
    The Arrowverse doesn't have any teenage characters being major parts of the shows apart from Oliver's son in Arrow, and that's a very recent development. At youngest I'd put Barry and Kara at mid-twenties (genius or not, Barry would have had to have gotten some qualification to work as CSI and Kara wasn't the most ambitious person career-wise). At least Melissa isn't playing a teenage character anymore like she did on Glee four or five years ago. I'd put Wally West at early 20's. Cisco and Caitlyn would be roughly same as Barry, they'd need to have the years getting the skills, experience and qualifications to work with the particle collider (same with Ronnie). Jax, similar Wally

The CW is still keeping Supernatural on, and has had it for eleven, twelve years now (the first season was produced under WB). Thirteen seasons in and it's still proving a ratings favorite, and that's through seasons six (soulless Sam and the Angel Civil War) and seven (the Leviathans).

Astonishing Member

I think Arrow, at most, might get another season. They've more or less exhausted the source material at this point, and they're slowly getting to the point where the story potential of the show's own mythos is running out of steam.

Supergirl, I'm not sure about, since I don't really watch the show - other than the odd episode here and there.

The Flash definitely has the potential to go on for a few more seasons yet. There's a LOT more source material to mine. Plus, with the Multiverse and other speedsters, there's literally an infinity of storytelling options. In fact, Flash is the one solo superhero show that could survive even if the main protagonist - in this case Barry Allen - leaves the show.

Legends of Tomorrow actually has more staying potential than one would have initially assumed. The fact that its an ensemble show where they can replace the cast constantly definitely helps. And they've nailed the tone and the premise perfectly now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I think Arrow, at most, might get another season. They've more or less exhausted the source material at this point, and they're slowly getting to the point where the story potential of the show's own mythos is running out of steam.

Supergirl, I'm not sure about, since I don't really watch the show - other than the odd episode here and there.

The Flash definitely has the potential to go on for a few more seasons yet. There's a LOT more source material to mine. Plus, with the Multiverse and other speedsters, there's literally an infinity of storytelling options. In fact, Flash is the one solo superhero show that could survive even if the main protagonist - in this case Barry Allen - leaves the show.

Legends of Tomorrow actually has more staying potential than one would have initially assumed. The fact that its an ensemble show where they can replace the cast constantly definitely helps. And they've nailed the tone and the premise perfectly now.
    I'm still waiting for Supergirl to adapt Red Daughter of Krypton. Guy Gardner finally appearing live on screen, and it's an organic development for Kara the way she's going. A Kryptionian doing an out of character without resorting to Kryptonite (which thankfully Supergirl has used very sparingly as opposed to Smallville) is also a good one.

I don't like Legends and just never got around to Supergirl. I do watch Flash and Arrow. I think they are both fine, at this point. I could see with Ollie's son being such a part of things now, though, that he may want to hang it up (which they are playing with now, of course, with Diggle).

I think a good idea they could keep cashing in on, would be give these two shows a good ending at whatever point, and negotiate with the actors to keep the characters alive by doing a Brave and the Bold type of show. You could have current characters and introduce some new ones. Have it be a team-up show of 2 characters or more and have each story arc last anywhere from 1 to 4 episodes. You could 20 episodes per season with short, tightly written arcs and make it almost a procedural type of show.

So you could have Flash/Arrow team up. You could have Diggle/Flash and so on. Or just focus on a couple characters that already share/shared a show. So Wally/Barry, Barry/Cisco. Wells/Wally, Diggle/Ollie, Joe/Quentin.....whatever you want.

And if you focus on, say...Wally/Barry...you could still have Joe pop up in a four episode arc. Or Iris. Or Whomever.

Just make it a fun superhero show. And continue sprinkling in other heroes along the way. And if you saw an arc you just didn't think you'd be interested in...don't watch it...and you don't lose all the continuity of an overarching plotline for a season, since these are more self-contained.

EDIT: I know I only named characters from the two shows I watch...but that's just because I don't know enough about the other two shows. Obviously you could have Supergirl, you could have Ray Palmer, and so on. You could do something more science related and have Wells, Kaitlyn, Cisco, Palmer, Felicity team up. And so on...you guys get the point.
    Last edited by bobellis75; 11-13-2017 at 08:17 AM.