Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

While ratings are down arent they still better then most shows on the CW? Supernatural and Riverdale jumped some the shows but flash is still theyre biggest show with the arrowverse is still 4 of the top 6 cw shows. So if they can keep bdugets down and rating dont drop further these shows last as long as the actors want to stay and the writers have ideas. Supernatural has enough of a die hard fan base(im a casual watcher, dude who plays dean is an underrated actor) it will last as long as the actors stick around. But i feel like If one quits the other wont do the show alone. So whoever wants out first Sam or dean will be the cause for the show to end. Smallville woulda gone longer but they wanted to end it. Ratings woulda kept it from being cancelled on CW

@Bobella i like that idea. Esepcially if these shows get stale. Is it gonna continue the arrowverse? Or use the same actors in small elseword storys?
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-13-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    While ratings are down arent they still better then most shows on the CW? Supernatural and Riverdale jumped some the shows but flash is still theyre biggest show with the arrowverse is still 4 of the top 6 cw shows. So if they can keep bdugets down and rating dont drop further these shows last as long as the actors want to stay and the writers have ideas. Supernatural has enough of a die hard fan base(im a casual watcher, dude who plays dean is an underrated actor) it will last as long as the actors stick around. But i feel like If one quits the other wont do the show alone. So whoever wants out first Sam or dean will be the cause for the show to end. Smallville woulda gone longer but they wanted to end it. Ratings woulda kept it from being cancelled on CW

@Bobella i like that idea. Esepcially if these shows get stale. Is it gonna continue the arrowverse? Or use the same actors in small elseword storys?

I would keep them in continuity but just keep the stories self-contained more...so there isn't really a season long arc. Just smaller arcs. Like in comics....you see arcs go 4 to 6 issues, with some one shot stories here and there...keep that type of format. But if things stall out, it would allow them to have one big blockbuster type of show they could pump money into rather than four separate shows (of course they like four shows as it helps them fill those time slots). I just think creatively it would lend itself to good storytelling and you still have those characters/actors involved.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    I would keep them in continuity but just keep the stories self-contained more...so there isn't really a season long arc. Just smaller arcs. Like in comics....you see arcs go 4 to 6 issues, with some one shot stories here and there...keep that type of format. But if things stall out, it would allow them to have one big blockbuster type of show they could pump money into rather than four separate shows (of course they like four shows as it helps them fill those time slots). I just think creatively it would lend itself to good storytelling and you still have those characters/actors involved.
    With only one show they are getting only 1/4 the revenue they would be getting with four shows. So I don't see how having just one show would let them spend more money on it.
    With only the revenue of one show they would have to fire a lot of writers and actors. Doing four show makes more economic sense than doing one show because Warner Bros. Television
    is making four times as much money. If they let go of three superhero shows, the CW would need three shows to fill the time slots, so the money would go to those other three shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    With only one show they are getting only 1/4 the revenue they would be getting with four shows. So I don't see how having just one show would let them spend more money on it.
    With only the revenue of one show they would have to fire a lot of writers and actors. Doing four show makes more economic sense than doing one show because Warner Bros. Television
    is making four times as much money. If they let go of three superhero shows, the CW would need three shows to fill the time slots, so the money would go to those other three shows.
    That's what I said...they want those shows to fill their time slots.

I meant they'd save production money by only having the one special effect heavy show. Yes they could take a little of the money from the other three to put into one. But like I said in the section you just quoted "of course they like four shows as it helps them fill those time slots."

So yeah they'd have to have new content ready to roll as well.

I'm not saying it's a realistic idea...I'm just saying it would be a cool show. In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Ok what about have a justice league style team up for the last four episodes of the season?

@Osiris i think if the shows end and arent viable on theyre own anymore this could work. Cancelling 4 sucessfull shows to make one even if it gets double the rating wont justify itself finacially. But if ratings fall apart and they get cancelled this could be a cool replacement

As a fan of all four shows (although Flash and Supergirl are my favorites), and this being the network that had Smallville going for a decade, I'd say these shows are all bound for well over the five season range, like seven or eight at least. Probably. And whenever the inevitable series do end (because all shows do eventually, except maybe the Simpsons and/or South Park) they'll be replaced with more DC stuff.

I'd like a sort of Justice League Dark show, kind of a Legends meets Supernatural thing. Mostly I just want them to do Swamp Thing in some form already.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    As a fan of all four shows (although Flash and Supergirl are my favorites), and this being the network that had Smallville going for a decade, I'd say these shows are all bound for well over the five season range, like seven or eight at least. Probably. And whenever the inevitable series do end (because all shows do eventually, except maybe the Simpsons and/or South Park) they'll be replaced with more DC stuff.

I'd like a sort of Justice League Dark show, kind of a Legends meets Supernatural thing. Mostly I just want them to do Swamp Thing in some form already.
    Five is usually where shows get to episode 100, as well as having enough episodes to go into syndication. You usually get writers with the five year plan, like Eric Kripke had with Supernatural (of course it's lasted over twice as long at this point). Arrow's flashbacks covered five years and have been mostly retired now.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Five is usually where shows get to episode 100, as well as having enough episodes to go into syndication. You usually get writers with the five year plan, like Eric Kripke had with Supernatural (of course it's lasted over twice as long at this point). Arrow's flashbacks covered five years and have been mostly retired now.
    I already know that, but I said well over five as the CW seems to care less about syndication goals and will just keep on trucking along with a show as long as the ratings are fine enough (Smallville, Supernatural).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I already know that, but I said well over five as the CW seems to care less about syndication goals and will just keep on trucking along with a show as long as the ratings are fine enough (Smallville, Supernatural).
    And maintaining the same fanbase instead of building up a new one. Basically following the same momentum. Supernatural is getting the Wayward Sisters spin-off, which unlike Originals, er, Bloodlines, is actually promising. Flash can get in the Supergirl and Arrow crossovers (we've just had Felicity attend Iris's hen night gone wrong), which Legends has just had a Curtis cameo. There's the annual crossovers too, not to mention huge anticipation around Constantine coming in for a few episodes of Legends. It's a shame the tie-in comics never took off, but there are a few tie-in novels.

Looks like none of the series are going anywhere soon
    http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/arrow/n...future-the-cw/

I think they will try to make all of theses shows hit 10 seasons. CW seems happy with them and the actors involved seem to love being part of the shared universe. Cool thing is that as long as they don't decide to end a series by killing off the main character, they can always show up in other shows after their individual series end.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    wow, she is 29? I would say if the actress became pregnant, they do a half season that year, or Mxyzptlk makes her pregnant? Or they introduce Superwoman who picks up the slack. I could see it also ending after 5 or 6 seasons, unless they do a "Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes" season. She gets sent to the future and lives in the 31st Century. They could do an entire season of that storyline easily, (Ok might also be expensive) Then I would give it an additional season.

If Arrow were to end this season, do you see anyone moving to Legends permanently?
    Mr terrific is the only one i’d want to see on legends.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Legends needs to move to space because time travel stories are super limited and they've all been told time and time again
    Yeah, and how would that lower the budget?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Mr terrific is the only one i’d want to see on legends.
    That would be a good change simply in general.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I'd say Supergirl is the one most likely to end the soonest. I think Melissa Benoist is great in the role, but she is already 29 and it gets to the point of being ridiculous
    that a woman in her 30s in still playing a character that is called "girls", Cat Grant's speech to the contrary. Plus her biological clock is ticking and how do you do a pregnant
    Supergirl? And it seems to be a physically demanding role. In retrospect maybe someone younger should have been cast.
    If the CW is still doing Superhero shows by then perhaps turn it into a Superman show. Do like TNT did, where The Closer became Major Crimes when Kyra Sedgewick wanted
    out. Keep most the cast but have Superman take over for Supergirl. Anyway I don't see Supergirl lasting 10 seasons.
    And Stephen Amell is 37 and Grant Gustin is 28. So a woman who is 29 and would I guess be 32 or 33 if the show runs 7 seasons is too old? Just wow.

Oh I grant that calling her Supergirl instead of Superwoman is just tradition and a certain sexism regardless of, as you said, Cat Grant's argument that completely disallowed Kara from giving the real counter arguments to Gran't asinine argument. Just as calling a late twenties woman Powergirl instead of Powerwoman is ridiculous. But the name aside, people comprehend that there's the subtle sexism in the real world of calling adult woman girls and that Supergirl is a full grown woman (obviously). Personally, it's my second favorite of the shows. There's a certain fun in the time traveling adventures of Legends even if it's not the best show.

In my personal like/ dislike category: Legends > Supergirl > Flash > Arrow.

Admittedly, I'm off the norm when it comes to Arrow. I liked the Damien Dhark season (and only started disliking him when they've overused him and then overused him again) and I hated the Adrian Chase season because I absolutely despise villains that are always a dozen steps ahead of the hero to the point of absurdity where they not only know every road he'll take but probably what brand of toothpaste he'll buy and probably at which store and how many from the left and Chase was really that ridiculous.

By the 16th episode of that season, I just wanted Arrow to kill him and be done with it and scrooge the deconstruction of the hero garbage. I watch the shows on Netflix and I usually watch an episode a week to prolong the fun of the stories. But I did something I almost never do. I wasn't going to stop watching with just sic episodes left but I binge watched the last six episodes over about three days just to get them over and done with.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 08-11-2018 at 09:05 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.