Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Thread Drift: Recent Comics That You Expect To Have An Impact Decades From Now

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Really? Having read both eras, I can confidently say I'd pick current Marvel over 90's Marvel any day. At least where Spider-Man is concerned (since I don't really follow too many other titles). Just goes to show how much of a difference opinion can make, lol.
    90's X-Men was gold.

As far as Spider-Man goes, the 90's gave us:

Ben Reilly
    Kaine
    Carnage (in his prime)
    Demonic Hobgoblin

We had artists like McFarlane, Larsen, and Bagley.

And some great stories featuring villains like Venom and Harry Goblin.

I can't think of a single remarkable thing Spider-Man has given us in this entire decade so far. This year, in particular, is completely forgettable.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 11-11-2017 at 10:20 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    90's X-Men was gold.

As far as Spider-Man goes, the 90's gave us:

Ben Reilly
    Kaine
    Carnage (in his prime)
    Demonic Hobgoblin

We had artists like McFarlane, Larsen, and Bagley.

And some great stories featuring villains like Venom and Harry Goblin.

I can't think of a single remarkable thing Spider-Man has given us in this entire decade so far. This year, in particular, is completely forgettable.
    It also gave us stuff like Judas Iscariot, maximum clonage, planet of the symbiotes, the killing of baby may and a whole lot of other bad to mediocure stuff.

As far as the last years there has been plenty of stuff I find to be atleast or more enjoyable then Demogoblin.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    It also gave us stuff like Judas Iscariot, maximum clonage, planet of the symbiotes, the killing of baby may and a whole lot of other bad to mediocure stuff.

As far as the last years there has been plenty of stuff I find to be atleast or more enjoyable then Demogoblin.
    Don't you mean Judas Traveller

As far as the last years there has been plenty of stuff I find to be at least or more enjoyable then Demogoblin.
    Yes, there was some (really) bad stuff in the 90's, I'm not denying that. But there was also some great stuff introduced that's still relevant to the character today. Can that still be said of today's Spider-Man? Will anyone really give a crap about Parker Industries in 20 years? Modern Spider-Man is still saddled with the stench of OMD, which happened ten years ago.

And I'm referring to the demonic version of Macendale Hobgoblin, not Demogoblin.

BANNED

Yes, there was some (really) bad stuff in the 90's, I'm not denying that. But there was also some great stuff introduced that's still relevant to the character today. Can that still be said of today's Spider-Man? Will anyone really give a crap about Parker Industries in 20 years? Modern Spider-Man is still saddled with the stench of OMD, which happened ten years ago.

And I'm referring to the demonic version of Macendale Hobgoblin, not Demogoblin.
    Can it be said? Heck yeah I will still care about new ways to die, Superior spide-man and even most recently the newest issue of spetacular spider-man. I will certantly take that over any version of Demonic hobgiblin. Macendale or not.

Can it be said? Heck yeah I will still care about new ways to die, Superior spide-man and even most recently the newest issue of spetacular spider-man. I will certantly take that over any version of Demonic hobgiblin. Macendale or not.
    I think you'll be in the minority there. NWTD was mediocre with no lasting implications. SSM was, at best, a mixed bag. And even many of those who liked it admit that they liked the premise more than the execution.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 11-11-2017 at 12:19 PM.

BANNED

I think you'll be in the minority there. NWTD was mediocre with no lasting implications. SSM was, at best, a mixed bag. And even many of those who liked it admit that they liked the premise more than the execution.
    And I feel pretty confident that most people can mention stories they like more the demonic Machendale from the last 10 years. NWTD has placed well in various polls whereas DM never/rarely gets brought up at all.
    I am more then confident that you are in the minority here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by theshow07 View Post
    Don't you mean Judas Traveller
    Yep my mistake.

And I feel pretty confident that most people can mention stories they like more the demonic Machendale from the last 10 years. NWTD has placed well in various polls whereas DM never/rarely gets brought up at all.
    I am more then confident that you are in the minority here.
    If you really believe NWTD is a classic story, you should do yourself a favor and read some actual classic Spider-Man stories.

NWTD's claim to fame was the introduction of Anti-Venom, a character with a very short lifespan that has been gone for years.

I was all aboard the NWTD hype train when it was announced, but the actual story was the epitome of "meh." It was only a great story in comparison to the rest of the terrible BND era.
    Last edited by Scarlet Spider-Man; 11-11-2017 at 01:57 PM.

BANNED

If you really believe NWTD is a classic story, you should do yourself a favor and read some actual classic Spider-Man stories.

NWTD's claim to fame was the introduction of Anti-Venom, a character with a very short lifespan that has been gone for years.
    Nice attitude man. I have read pretty much the entirety of ASM and a whole lot of other series too so I have read plenty.
    If you think DM is a classic you should do yourself the favor of reading some more and not confuse your own taste with everyone elses. Atleast I have polls from this and other sites to show you I am not alone in my view here.
    NWTD had appearences of major villians and art by one of the biggest ASM artists from the last 30 years, whereas DM was a version that last for a very short amount too. Atleast antivenon got his own mini.

Yes, there was some (really) bad stuff in the 90's, I'm not denying that. But there was also some great stuff introduced that's still relevant to the character today. Can that still be said of today's Spider-Man?
    Yes. There are great things being introduced today that are still relevant today. That's kind of a stupid question.

Will anyone really give a crap about Parker Industries in 20 years?
    Nobody without a time machine can answer that question. Did anybody in the 90s think the Jackal and two issues with Spider-man's clone were relevant fore the clone saga started?

Modern Spider-Man is still saddled with the stench of OMD, which happened ten years ago.
    Only to people that refuse to let it go.

It's not like the 90s weren't saddled with stupid things. All the VR plotlines. Stewart Trainer. new symbites everytime you looked around. Peter's "I Am the Spider!" phase. The robot parents. Mary Jane sitting by windows worried about Spider-man and trying to convince him to stay home and let somebody else fight crime in his place.

Oh, and another awesome thing you forgot. The Spider-verse. 70s Power Ranger Spider-man is now canon.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Yes. There are great things being introduced today that are still relevant today. That's kind of a stupid question.

Nobody without a time machine can answer that question. Did anybody in the 90s think the Jackal and two issues with Spider-man's clone were relevant fore the clone saga started?

It's not like the 90s weren't saddled with stupid things. All the VR plotlines. Stewart Trainer. new symbites everytime you looked around. Peter's "I Am the Spider!" phase. The robot parents. Mary Jane sitting by windows worried about Spider-man and trying to convince him to stay home and let somebody else fight crime in his place.

Oh, and another awesome thing you forgot. The Spider-verse. 70s Power Ranger Spider-man is now canon.
    The VR plotlines and the proliferation of symbiotes are both guilty pleasures of mine. In fact, given VR becoming increasingly plausible if not even mainstreamed in real life, we could see a comeback for VR in American comics. And yes, Spider-Verse was awesome, if only for 70s tokusatsu Spider-Man, whose giant mecha directly inspired Super Sentai (which became Power Rangers in America) to use giant mecha. Speaking of Japanese-influenced Spider-Men, my personal favorites from Spider-Verse were Dr. Aaron Aikman from Edge of Spider-Verse #3 and Peni Parker (her classmates are the pilots from Neon Genesis Evangelion!) from Edge of Spider-Verse #5. Oh, and Spider-Verse's Ben Reilly was the best Ben Reilly and I'd have preferred he come back over what was done to 616 Ben Reilly in The Clone Conspiracy, even if Peter David is making surprisingly good work out of that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The VR plotlines and the proliferation of symbiotes are both guilty pleasures of mine.
    Just goes to show you that we all have different tastes.

But I'll agree that the Spider-verse was just jam packed with goodness.

Nice attitude man. I have read pretty much the entirety of ASM and a whole lot of other series too so I have read plenty.
    If you think DM is a classic you should do yourself the favor of reading some more and not confuse your own taste with everyone elses. Atleast I have polls from this and other sites to show you I am not alone in my view here.
    NWTD had appearences of major villians and art by one of the biggest ASM artists from the last 30 years, whereas DM was a version that last for a very short amount too. Atleast antivenon got his own mini.
    What is DM?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

Those were rhetorical questions. I already know the answers.

I didn't forget about Spider-Verse, it just wasn't really worth mentioning.