Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    In fact Levitz stepped down as president and publisher of DC Comics in 2009 and became a contributing editor writing a couple of books as well as working as consultant for DC Entertainment. The first time somebody complained about Berganza (that we know of) was in 2010 so I agree that "axing him off" for not punishing him seems a bit odd. He was no longer in charge at the time.
    The allegations brought fourth by Joan Hilty and Liz Gehrlein Marsham both occurred during Levitz's tenure. The fact that neither choose to report him until Levitz went away says enough imo.

If you want to know how DC dealt with this during his time, this should give you a window into the workings of DC during the 00s era:
    https://www.cbr.com/260477-2/

Quote Originally Posted by From the Defunct Occasional Superheroine Blog
    2. When I resigned from DC in the Summer of 2004, medical insurance was used as a bargaining chip in order to get me to sign a non-disclosure agreement. If I signed the NDA, they would “fudge” the paperwork so I would get one extra month of health insurance. So basically, they would lie and say I was still working there when I wasn’t, and my insurance would be temporarily extended. Part of the reason I was resigning was because I was still ill, and they said they knew how much I could use the insurance. But — I would have to sign away my rights to ever speak ill of DC again in order to get that coverage. Which would basically take care of me ever bringing up sexual harassment again. I declined to sign the NDA. But the best part of all this was that by “fudging” — they were basically lying. They were offering to use fraud to “help me out” — but only if I signed a piece of paper covering their ass.

To be fair, this sort of **** happens at a lot of places. And had I not trusted DC as much as I did right off the bat, and really done my homework, I could have avoided a lot of this. And that’s the best thing you can say about any of this — that the worker really has a lot of rights and resources. They do. But you have to seek them out. Don’t just consult your shiny worker’s manual or believe what some upper management suit tells you. Be informed.

Companies have no right to offer “bargains” concerning your health.
    You can choose to believe she is lying, but I think it's clear Levitz and everyone else that was/is in management are knee deep in this.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 11-12-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    You can choose to believe she is lying, but I think it's clear Levitz and everyone else that was/is in management are knee deep in this.
    Don't remember seeing this before. I realize that the allegations brought forth by Hilty and Gerhlein Marsham happened during Levitz tenure and if this is true then I can see why they didn't bring it forward until 2010. I do find it interesting though that both this and the whole Berganza situation seems to underline that the public image of the company has been more important than actually handling any situation. Berganza wasn't demoted until after Bleeding Cool did a story on him (even if his name wasn't actually mentioned at that point) and then now again when the same story "breaks" during a time when the entire entertainment industry is seeing these kinds of stories break and everyone is quick to try and save face.

I really hope that isn't the case, but unfortunately that does seem to be the case for a lot of companies. If they deal with it themselves when they are made aware of the problems they might be causing the story to break themselves, so instead they try to cover it up and look the other way, hoping that the problem will go away by itself and that the media doesn't get hold of it somehow. These days, fortunately, it is much harder to keep these kinds of stories down and the companies are forced to act because the backlash if they don't will hurt their bottom line. Hopefully, this will result in more people to actually come forward with these incidents earlier, so that the transgressors are punished for their deeds sooner rather than years or decades later.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The allegations brought fourth by Joan Hilty and Liz Gehrlein Marsham both occurred during Levitz's tenure. The fact that neither choose to report him until Levitz went away says enough imo.

If you want to know how DC dealt with this during his time, this should give you a window into the workings of DC during the 00s era:
    https://www.cbr.com/260477-2/

Are we including Johns in that statement about Management... Because I kinda doubt he had a hand in this and really hope I'm right. Levitz, Nelson, DiDio, Lee and Harras however, do seem to be caught up in this net. Harras especially. Honestly though, I'm hoping for Damage Control to limit fallout from this to Berganza- Not the Whole of DC Management

BANNED

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...one-dc-comics/

Bleeding Cool has received word from multiple senior figures in the comic book industry that, as of today, DC Group Editor Eddie Berganza will not be returning to the comic book publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Well, Farewell to him... Hope the Door doesnt hit him on the way out...

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Well, Farewell to him... Hope the Door doesnt hit him on the way out...
    Nah, hell with that. I want that door to hit him.

EDIT: Crap, I wonder who is gonna edit Superman now?
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-12-2017 at 05:21 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Nah, hell with that. I want that door to hit him.
    That was me attempting to be nice... but I agree... I do wonder what other Skeletons Berganza will drag out from DC's closet with him though if he's being dismissed... I doubt this is the end of DC's PR disaster. I hope it is... But I doubt it... Especially if the rumor about him blackmailing the DC Management is true

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    That was me attempting to be nice... but I agree... I do wonder what other Skeletons Berganza will drag out from DC's closet with him though if he's being dismissed... I doubt this is the end of DC's PR disaster. I hope it is... But I doubt it... Especially if the rumor about him blackmailing the DC Management is true
    No, I dont think this is the end. I think its going to get worse before its over.

Which is fine. Spring cleaning in the DC offices, and its about time.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

EDIT: Crap, I wonder who is gonna edit Superman now?
    Matt Idelson again.

No, I dont think this is the end. I think its going to get worse before its over.

Which is fine. Spring cleaning in the DC offices, and its about time.
    Yeah. I have that feeling too. Hoping that at the most it stays limited to Upper Management and away from Johns though. He's dobe great things recently for the company.

Aside: I'm Glad that Mark Waid is finally on everyone's side against DC's management now and on good terms with DC. Because if Harras gets thrown out. Waid comes nack. Harras is the thing stopping him coming back. Harras banned him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'd hope that people would be a little hesitant at least when it comes to mentioning names based on standing at DC. "I guess " and "probably" aren't proof of who knows what.
    But, this is the internet . . . unfortunately, what do you really expect?

("want" and "expect" aren't always anywhere near each other)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, this is the internet . . . unfortunately, what do you really expect?

("want" and "expect" aren't always anywhere near each other)
    I don't know. Berganza stood out as one of the few identified parties with a history of sexual misconduct. But sadly, for many it wasn't necessarily about separating the man from his actions, or his actions from his role as an editor.

He's obviously not the only one, and he's not really responsible for letting himself off the hook. The sexism from accounts of DC in the 80s and the racism Priest experienced in his early Marvel days are still out there. But those battles are not this one. Berganza is finished at DC and he doesn't really belong on the Superman board without his title.

What message this sends to wrongdoers, and what it means for Superman to lose his editor after almost exactly 18 years will surely have many of their own discussions in the future.