Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It's about time.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Awesome, I know a lot of female writers and readers were purposely ignoring superman books for years because of him, so I wonder how things will change now.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Awesome, I know a lot of female writers and readers were purposely ignoring superman books for years because of him, so I wonder how things will change now.
    It would be nice if this eventually lead to more women taking on Superman or being involved in the books .

Can someone fill me in on what's going on with Eddie Berganza? Why he got fired and that stuff? I haven't paid attention lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Can someone fill me in on what's going on with Eddie Berganza? Why he got fired and that stuff? I haven't paid attention lately.
    Basic gestalt.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/dc-com...Nz#.dnLx3P9jBa
    BB

This is good news. It should have happened much earlier. At least it happened now. I am just as surprised as Kuwagaton. It was swift. I did not expect this to happen within days probably hours of that article. Or even anything would change at all.

Hopefully he never works in comics again, let alone put in a position where he can continue this sort of behavior.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

BANNED

Accountability is good to see, but it should have happened much sooner. Choosing between supervising comics and securing the mental and physical health of your employees should NOT be a choice at all

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If this leads to better Superman comics and a better atmosphere for female creators at DC Comics, this is great news. Hopefully, the right lessons will be learned from this fiasco, which was allowed to continue for far too many years.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Of course, it's also up to readers to show that we appreciate the likes of Bennett, Lupacchino, Tamaki, Jones, and Perkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Hopefully he never works in comics again, let alone put in a position where he can continue this sort of behavior.
    These sort of things tend to happen less in offices that stand firm on harassment policies. If it was a situation where they couldn't suspend him that's one thing, but to swiftly suspend him now...

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm seriously debating if I should even keep reading DC at this point. How far up does this go? I feel guilty having financially supported this for as long as I have.
    Others have mentioned there are probably other companies who have done bad things you may have unintentionally supported as well, but also don't assume that Eddie Berganza/DC is the only case in comic books where this may have happened/may be happening. For all we know, Marvel may also have situations like this that aren't as publicly known.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    This. They've known about and ignored it for a long time and only doing it now because they've been publicly shamed into doing it. But at least it's done.
    All that appears to have happened so far is that Berganza has been suspended and DC is reviewing the situation.
    We don't know yet if Berganza will actually be let go or if this is just a holding pattern by DC until some of the publicity about sexually inappropriate behavior throughout the entertainment industries and elsewhere dies down somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Basic gestalt.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/dc-com...Nz#.dnLx3P9jBa
    One other thing about Eddie's situation: the reports of his past actions, unlike many of the claims against others in the news these days, aren't completely new. They have been reported in the past, and DC did at one point take action/punish Berganza regarding these things, though they did not fire him. Whether they will reconsider doing so this time is now going to be the question, but the fact they had already previously taken (minor) actions a few years back could make it a little trickier since he's already been "punished" to a degree by DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Of course, it's also up to readers to show that we appreciate the likes of Bennett, Lupacchino, Tamaki, Jones, and Perkins.
    I'm all in favor of having females involved in the comic book industries.
    However, there are some I can't personally support if I don't like what they produce.

About gods damned time.

Its a shame that it took public shaming to bring DC to this choice. This is why you embrace CSR people! So you can avoid these kinds of market/investment impacting embarrassments and can present yourself as a champion of human rights to your consumer base, who'll be more likely to support your product when they think the company is altruistic.

Seriously, that is literally Business Ethics 101. It is a proven business theory with quantifiable benefits.

Odds are Berganza kept his position previously because he either had dirt on his bosses (who are as culpable as he is), they just didn't care, or both. I wouldn't be surprised to see more people pulled into the light before this is done, especially if Berganaza gets more than a slap on the wrist this time. It may be a "if he goes down he'll be taking others with him" situation. Hard to say of course, since we're on the outside looking in.

I'm a big supporter of due process and "innocent until proven guilty" so I wont say that Berganza and his ilk should be strung up by their balls and beaten publicly, because accusations are not proof......but when/if proven, I hope he and his ilk get strung up by their balls and beaten publicly.
    Last edited by Ascended; 11-12-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Comic Industry Reacts To The Eddie Berganza Suspension: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...za-suspension/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    but the fact they had already previously taken (minor) actions a few years back could make it a little trickier since he's already been "punished" to a degree by DC.
    No. If a new past accusation emerged from all this (and it's likely given his serial predator behavior) that wasn't covered in the five cases that were rolled together by HR, they absolutely can fire him based on the "new evidence".